Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 16:55   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Available satelites?

Everything seems to be made for the North American market so there may not be much difference, but I have been disappointed with the satellite acquisition of my Standard Horizon 300 plotter. Some plotters may acquire satellites faster and update more cleanly.

There may be differences in the charts available. I went with Standard Horizon as in the area where I want to sail the C-map charts appeared cheaper and it looked like they were the most used.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 17:04   #17

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Which Chartplotter Should I Buy ?

Check out the prices at thegpsstore dot com. They have the Garmin 400 series complete with charts, depth transducer, and fish finder for a good price. It matches the requirements stated in your post.

I think it's the 431s that has the Great Lakes charts.

I have the 441s and it's a good compact package. The transom mount transducer can be mounted in the bilge in a shoot-through hull configuration and works fine. The instructions are clear as well.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 17:17   #18

I would also look at the Standard Horizen chartplotters. Also consider availabiliry & cost of data, (charts).(and how detailed are they) I think at the upper range of your budget you could get one of their 10 in units. Makes it much easier to see. I have a 7 in unit that's ok. They stand behind their products and you can actually get a hold of their customer service. They also have a favorable flat rate fix policy that's reasonable- Tim
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 17:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Check out the prices at thegpsstore dot com. They have the Garmin 400 series complete with charts, depth transducer, and fish finder for a good price. It matches the requirements stated in your post.

I think it's the 431s that has the Great Lakes charts.

I have the 441s and it's a good compact package. The transom mount transducer can be mounted in the bilge in a shoot-through hull configuration and works fine. The instructions are clear as well.
I like this! I do this type of adapting. There are great opportunities to achieve the same function for far less money than some are willing to spend because of the manufacturer's designated application. Gadget X does not need to cost three times as much on a 50' boat than the cost of gadget X on a 20' boat unless it's bearing the load of the vessel's displacement! Ah, but I am a miser!
Old 13-08-2011, 18:32   #20

I'm forced to be a miser. I think it was just under $500 with shipping. Which is still a lot of money for me. It has charts for all of US, including HI and AK, Bahamas, Cuba, and the inland lakes and rivers (but not the Great Lakes, that's another model). With a little luck, one day I'll have to add charts for the Caribbean.

With a fishfinder, depth and temp readout to boot. Temp would be hull temp with my installed position of the transducer.

The instructions stated the transom mounted transducer could be used as a shoot-through style instead. I mounted it temporarily in a cut-off Tupperware bowl and filled it with water. In the near future, I'll do a better mounting housing with a PVC pipe and use mineral oil.

Just installed it a week ago. So I've only done a day on the ICW and another day off shore with this setup, but I like it so far.
Old 14-08-2011, 09:04   #21

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Only a fool would soly rely on a piece on consumer junk to navigate by. Fine as a backup and to
Impress your friends but not as a sole navigation device

Dave ( iPhone and iPad owner)
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your response. I have taken a power squadron navigation course, captained a charter boat for 3 seasons, and do have some experience to back me up. I would like to have an electronic "gadget" for back up, reference...the MOB option is appealing and heaven forbid that we would ever have to use it. My wife has yet to take a nav course, although she will enroll in a class this winter. We will both then be able to plot courses on charts.
The electronic chart plotters are convenient to use, but having the ability to plot on a chart is a "must have" in our books as well.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:05   #22

Boat: Stevens 47

Thanks to all for opinions rendered, I appreciate your responses.

randy
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 10:14   #23

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Before you go out and spend thousands of dollars - go buy yourself a $200 I-Phone and buy the $50 Navex application - it's all you need!
I have had all the top of the line expensive electronics you can buy on my commercial fish boat and on my sailboats and I'm telling you - this Phone with Navex is wonderful!
You have to shade the screen alittle to see it in bright sunshine but so what? (not much of a problem in the PNW) The phone is pretty much water proof but you can buy a case for about $50 if you think you need it that floats if you drop the thing over the side. Best money I ever spent on electronics - I needed a new phone anyway!
Have fun!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:10   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 31 / Defever 40

I have a Garmin 440s at the helm and it does not like water. I keep a ziploc bag over it. I also have a 7 inch Lowrance chart platter in the companoinway on a swing out bracket. It is tied into the Lowrance Broadband Radar. My AIS transponder is tied in to both units and it works good.
cd30ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:26   #25

cd30ketch,
What effect has water had on your Garmin?

My 441s has been rained on several times already, without a problem that I have noticed. I can't recall any reference to water in the manual, so I'm going to take another look.

edit,..... Says it's waterproof to IPX7 standards.
Old 14-08-2011, 13:01   #26

Boat: Endeavour 37

I like the Garmin portable 276/376/478 series. They are battery operated but can be wired in. You can detach them, so a crew member can operate without having to be behind the helm, take them with you on the dinghy or car trip. They are protected from lightening strikes if using the battery. They are push button rather than touch screen which I find easier to use in a rough seaway. They are waterproof and the screens are totally viewable in the sun. These products are discontinued since the new products are all touch screen but are easily found on ebay for less than $650.00 US. Down side is that they are not made for integration with radar or AIS but can be integrated to your VHF/DCS function and depth sounder. I prefer an independent depth sounder for obvious reasons. I have two. One I keep on the 12v charger to keep a hot battery ready (battery last about eight hours minimum in daytime mode), also have a back up if one fails. Difference between the models is that 276 and 376 use chip charting (about $150 for all of the East coast if I remember correctly). 376 and 478 have satellite weather function for additional monthly charge but not the 276. 478 has the entire US coastal chart preinstalled so no chips necessary unless outside of US waters. Great little machines, very dependable. I did have my 276 model fail after 7 years of constant use. Garmin rebuilt it for $160.00. Eventually when I get a new radar system, I may go to a hard wired system so the radar screen will overlay the chart. But that's many thousands down the road. For the coastal cruising I do, they are a great choice. Also, I find Garmin support to be well above the norm for electronics companies.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 17:34   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
I like the Garmin portable 276/376/478 series. They are battery operated but can be wired in. You can detach them, so a crew member can operate without having to be behind the helm, take them with you on the dinghy or car trip...................
This is a very important consideration that pjop highlights. The ability to detached your GPS with a quick release from a 12VDC connection is very convenient, not only for the reasons that pjop mentions, but for security too. We use the Radio Shack part # 23-444 which is marketed as a connector for the remote control car battery packs for our connectors. We have several of them below as well as at the binnacle for instrument attachment locations.
Old 20-08-2011, 03:40   #28

Boat: Sense 43
Send a message via Skype™ to MartinW

Just saw the E7 from Raymarine at the Sydney Boat Show. Looks great, including ability to link wirelessly toup to 7 devices (iPad / iPhine). Under AUD2,000 and worth a look I think. Check their web site.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 04:16   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
cd30ketch,
What effect has water had on your Garmin?

My 441s has been rained on several times already, without a problem that I have noticed. I can't recall any reference to water in the manual, so I'm going to take another look.

edit,..... Says it's waterproof to IPX7 standards.
Curious, never had a problem with our 555s and it does rain a bit in England plus the spray from sailing in the rough stuff. I do like the built in GPS aerial as that's one less cable to worry about too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 05:24   #30

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Qusetion? Is the iPad spray/waterproof? I have not looked at one but they appear to be a very useful product.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter