Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 10:10   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Where to start cruising?

A very early step is do you want to cruise principally in Europe or the Americas? The 110v vs. 240v is a major difference especially going from Europe west (wiring designed for high voltage may be undersized for lower voltage/higher amperage system. I suggest you begin with selecting some broad areas you think attractive and figure what requirements might apply.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:30   #17

Boat: Pearson

florida, lots of boats and repair facilities, google florida sailboats for sale.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37   #18

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Thanks for the awesome feedback! This really shows me some options I haven't thought about yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
A very early step is do you want to cruise principally in Europe or the Americas? The 110v vs. 240v is a major difference especially going from Europe west (wiring designed for high voltage may be undersized for lower voltage/higher amperage system. I suggest you begin with selecting some broad areas you think attractive and figure what requirements might apply.
Yeah, that might be an issue for large boats with plenty appliances. I'm more aiming for a simple/cheap setup and will probably end up with the charger being pretty much the only 110/230 appliance on board (and I'm good with electronics, if need be I can rewire stuff which I will most likely do anyways considering the rats nests most old boats call distribution).

@TrentePieds: I feel you. I did around half of the trip you describe last year, Hamburg->Stockholm with a stopover in Kiel to source and install in a new starter motor. Hate to say: The Infrastructure in Kiel is not bad at all but Hamburg is even better. And I haven't sold my boat over here yet, it's on the hard in Greifswald (close to the german/polish border). So in case I don't start over someplace else (or postpone that to next year) the picture you're painting is pretty much my plan b (or one thereof, the other is dutch republic and uk but that might be a little too challenging...)
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:45   #19

Hello,
My husband and I have been to many countries and ask where is the best place to buy a boat. The usual response is Croatia. 1200 islands to cruise, ICC or RYA, or ASA103 license required. We will be leasing a boat there in Sept, sailing to see if we would want to purchase. Beautiful clear water, great food, reasonable prices, great people. Good luck!
Pam
jimpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I suggest the Great Lakes, Canadian side.

Freshwater older boats are in much better condition than saltwater boats. And the low Canadian dollar will boost your budget. Buy in June, enjoy the area, then work your way south along the US east coast (along with all the other snowbirds) in the fall. You can go slow and enjoy all the sights, or head to Bahamas, Bermuda, or the Caribbean. There's plenty there for years of exploration.

35ft. C&C swap or trade | sailboats | Belleville | Kijiji
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpam View Post
Hello,
My husband and I have been to many countries and ask where is the best place to buy a boat. The usual response is Croatia. 1200 islands to cruise, ICC or RYA, or ASA103 license required. We will be leasing a boat there in Sept, sailing to see if we would want to purchase. Beautiful clear water, great food, reasonable prices, great people. Good luck!
Pam
... and a radio certificate.

Not so nice about Croatia: Expensive Marinas. And people say that old boats over there are mostly run down pretty badly due to high salt concentration and sun.

Marina in Croatia 40€-100€ per day for up to 36ft.

Liegeplatzpreise für Marinas in Kroatien - Slowenien - Liegeplatzpreise

In the baltic it's between 15€ and 25€ (Germany Coast, Denmark, Sweden), Hamburg 12,5€ (per day). Why is Hamburg so cheap? Largest non-profit Marina I have ever seen. Back in the day the city kicked out all small sailing clubs from the city to sell the real estate. As a replacement the dug two large holes, Wedel (around 2000 boats) and Rüschkanal (1500ish boats?). So Wedel("Hamburger Yachthafen") is nowadays a co-op of around 50 sailing clubs.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:45   #22

Quote: "I did around half of the trip you describe...'

Well, then you are obviously not STARTING to cruise :-) The questions present themselves since you are planning to sell: What sort of boat, and why are you on the hard in Greifswald? Just winter storage, or is she out for repairs/maintenance? I've no idea what sort of prices rule in the Baltic these days and therefore no idea how they stack up against prices in other locales.

The only market I have any feeling for is British Columbia. The "Salish Sea" is not known for coconuts and bare-breasted women, if that's your trip, although in the high season August & September the cruising is absolutely delightful in places like the Broughton Islands. It can be a little chilly, a la the Baltic, in the winter season but still cruisable. Norwegians love it here because of the glorious mountains coming right down to the sea like the fjords of Norway. Germans come here in droves and "cruise" BC in rented "motor-homes".

Down the marina from me is a Bayfield 32 whose owner is well into his geezerhood and scared silly of taking her out. She's ready to go, at least in the Salish Sea, and soon-ish, I expect, she'll be listed for Can$40K and eventually sell for 25K.

I would expect that in many, many places those kinda deals are obtainable if you have a little time to look around, or if you "know somebody". So, bei mir, it makes sense, if you have the time, to sell where you are and buy where you are going. It seems to me that unless you are really into the hard work and unpleasantness of crossing oceans in cockleshells, that is by far the most attractive proposition.

TrentePIeds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Down the marina from me is a Bayfield 32 whose owner is well into his geezerhood and scared silly of taking her out. She's ready to go, at least in the Salish Sea, and soon-ish, I expect, she'll be listed for Can$40K and eventually sell for 25K.
Or ask $25k and get $15k: Model Bayfield 32C Cutter Year 1977 Colour beige Immaculate | sailboats | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "I did around half of the trip you describe...'

Well, then you are obviously not STARTING to cruise :-)
[...]

It seems to me that unless you are really into the hard work and unpleasantness of crossing oceans in cockleshells, that is by far the most attractive proposition.
TrentePIeds
Sorry, that was poorly phrased. What I meant is something like starting cruising full time. Or where to start a cruise? Hmm. second language problems...

Anyways. For me last season was more like a test run, I kept my flat and all my stuff and so on. Now I'm toying with the idea to kick of the training wheels and start something serious. I own a IW-Varvet IW-31, S&S Design 1899. Truly awesome boat but to small for lifeabord (for me). And it would need some work and equipment for crossing the Atlantic. And I'm not the sailor (yet) to tackle that pond. These go for 10-20k€ depending on which shape they are in. From browsing boatdealers.ca it looks like boats there are cheaper than over here. I'll look into that more deeply, got to get a feeling first for the us/canadian makes & models. I guess I'll make a separate post about that...
Old 10-03-2017, 12:30   #25

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I can't believe this, because to me the answer is obvious: Greece.

Go look at the prices of boats in Greece. Rock bottom. Buy one there and you're cruising before you leave the dock.

Here are over 300 sailboats 35-41' in Greece. Look at those prices!

(Sail) Boats For Sale
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I can't believe this, because to me the answer is obvious: Greece.

Look at those prices!
I have no firsthand experience with boats from there. But everybody I asked said that the used boats over there are in really bad shape. Run down charter vessels. Prime destination for charter for folks over here.

@TrentePieds: On first glance I like the idea of buying on the great lakes and then sail to the caribbean.
Old 10-03-2017, 13:01   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

check out Kemah Texas USA- reasonable prices - in reach of Mexico and Carribean after you get boat done.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:03   #28

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Look into used boats from the Moorings in Turkey, Greece or Croatia.
I know people bad mouth charter boats, but there is a lot of positives for a boat that was started every week and had regular maintenance. I know of older boats in Florida that sit in the sun for 5-10 years and whose owners never start them or sail them. We call that "nailed to the dock". Buy one of those and you will spend the rest of your life trying to fix/repair every part.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:33   #29

Boat: Nauticat 32

Maybe it is enough if the location where you buy the boat is in the same continent as the place where you plan to sail it. I mean that with an experienced friend you can quite easily sail the boat to wherever you want to go. Buy he boat where boats are cheap, and sail where they need not be so cheap.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:34   #30

We have Jeanneau Espace 1100 in the Ionian. Really love sailing there. We would sell. PM me if you want more info.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising