Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 04:55   #91

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht
Re: When is a Captain not a Captain?

My family has a few shirts that I had made with the name of our boat on it and the word "crew" on the bottom. A worker will never be an owner, but an owner will always be a worker.

I've never addressed myself as Captain, but the USCG did over the radio and as they boarded my boat. For that matter, when I said to the boarding officer who was on board my boat "Petty Officer, do not stand on my seats" he didn't argue with me either.

I sign the checks, I clean the bilge and I also get to sleep in the biggest stateroom next to the Admiral...

FWIW, I fly for a living too...
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 12:41   #92

Wink Don't sweat the small stuff

Good movie, too: real B-25s! No way they would make it like that anymore; they'd use fake-looking computer animation.

Remember the medal presentation scene? General Dreedle (Orson Welles) finally responds to Yosarian's nakedness by rolling his eyes and exclaiming
Quote:
What the hell do I care?! If he wants to receive a medal without any clothes on, what the hell business is it of yours? … Here's your medal, Captain. You're a very weird person, Yosarian.
The above is a good response to self-appointed "Captains", too.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:28   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
At a neighbor's party the hostess kept referring to Bill as "The Judge". I told my wife if she ever referred to me as "The Captain" at a party she would be standing there by herself because I would just walk out the door.

Having said that one of my friends told me before I started cruising Latin America that a nice golf type shirt with "Captain" embroidered on it and a polite air of professionalism when dealing with foreign paperwork would go a long way towards reducing hassle. I had a couple of shirts made up with silhouettes of my boat with Captain over it. I don't have scientific evidence that it worked but I never had any hassles either.
Actually, I prefer, "Your grand exulted PooBah."

I can't be the only one old enough to remember this Watching Laugh in with Dad - great memories - thanks.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 18:52   #94

Boat: Skookum 53'

If you have to wear a hat that has scrambled egg on the bill and "Captain" embroidered on the front. For people on your boat to know who is in charge, then it isn't you.
Old 30-06-2014, 19:06   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I think I prefer FLASH

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48   #96

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
This "fact" is often heard, but I suspect is an exaggeration of reality.

The COLREGS do not change depending on if you have a license or not.

Negligence might be a grey area and seen differently depending if licensed or not. Maybe.

On the flip side, testimony can hold more credence from a person who has proven qualifications in the field. This could end up as advantage.

I think one concern, and it differs state-to-state in USA, is the application of "Good Samaritan" laws that protect rescuers in emergency situations. Being a licensed person might exempt you from protection (although just having a license does not make you a professional which is the more usual exemption).

My insurance company said a license could be a small discount, but no addition to premium. If license really increased liability, I am certain the insurance company would reflect that by increasing premiums instead for a boat owner with license.

Of course if licensed and operating a charter business or some such professional operation, your liabilities are increased, just as with any business. Not really a function of having a license, but a result of running a business.
Excellent observation... a real live example occurred while driving a client's vessel in British Columbia where we had anchored in Montague Harbor. After setting the ground tackle, I had taken hand bearings on a couple of landmarks ashore and repeated the process at dusk before turning in.
About 2:00 am another vessel drifted down on us with little or no damage to ours but about $10000 to the other which was owned and skippered by a local Vancouer attorney who happened to be a member of the same Vancouver Yacht Club as my client.
He sued me, my client and his friends who were aboard our vessel. The case was heard in a Canadian Federal Maritime court.
The Judge found no liability on the part of myself, my client or his guests but on hearing testimony, examining both ships logs (I recall there being little or no information in the log of the other vessel) and reviewing the qualifications of each person aboard both vessels he stated that he held me to higher standard than any other because I was a licensed Master in Canada. The fact that I had taken the time to enter our position in the log on two occasions weighed heavily in our favor. This occurred many years ago but I've never forgotten the admonishment for being licensed.
Unless you are going to earn your living afloat, I would think twice about attaining and continuing to hold a maritime license. For insurance purposes, it was a requirement in nearly every delivery in US waters, I believe. Because I continued in the skippering and delivery business for many years in the US, I kept mine but if I were to be an occasional cruiser, I would take a pass on it. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14   #97
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That brought back sone memories Phil.

RVYC had its own special breed of Admirals!

Mostly cantankerous bastards )
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37   #98

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That brought back sone memories Phil.

RVYC had its own special breed of Admirals!

Mostly cantankerous bastards )
My lips are sealed... wish the court records were! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00   #99

Boat: Gulf 32

Much ado about nothing, My offshore Master License said I was licensed as a "U.S. Merchant Marine Officer" so where did "Captain's License" come from?
I never renewed my License after the first five years, I noticed people who had a 13 foot jon boat displaying a 100 ton license in their office. Also soon found out that having said license was just as good as painting a target on your back. When boarded in the Dry Tortugas many years ago, "Barney Fife" demanded to know who was the Captain. The kids all yelled "Captain Doug", I informed the officer that I was not a licensed "Captain" and whom ever was in the mood "was the captain of the day", today is NOT my turn. Thank YOU
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46   #100

A Master Mariner is always a licensed master, but not necessary the other way round

What is much worse than a small boat skipper styling him or herself "Captain X" are those mariners with restricted - i.e., limited tonnage and/or geographic area - master's certificates who hold themselves out as "Master Mariners".
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 14:37   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Master and Commander- I think I like those terms better. If anyone needs me, I will be down on the throne next to the V-berth...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 14:58   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Master and Commander- I think I like those terms better. If anyone needs me, I will be down on the throne next to the V-berth...
I'll call you Big MaC for short...

Too bad you name isn't Donald...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 14:59   #103

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I rather liked,
"Ruler of the Queen's Navee".
Old 05-07-2014, 15:20   #104

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Damn! If I can't call myself "Captain", I wasted a lot of money on the starched white shirt with the gold epaulets, the dark blue blazer and the white hat with all the gold braid on the brim!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 18:01   #105

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Is Francesco Schettino still considered to be a captain?
Could he keep it as a social title if he got a job as a bell captain?

Tags
captain