Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-06-2014, 20:48   #76

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Re: When is a Captain not a Captain?

On my boat, I insist that the crew address me as "Captain". The exception is when a vote is taken, and an even more noble title, such as "Fearless Leader" or "Imperial Grand Whazoo" is voted as fitting by the crew. My crew loves to bestow grandiloquent honors upon me.

In all humility, though, I must admit that I generally sail solo.

Old 29-06-2014, 21:19   #77

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Much ado about Nothing!

I happen to have attained a master mariners license and I am comfortable being referred to as Captain by my commercial peers.

By the same token, there are many members on CF who in my opinion have earned my same respect because of their impressive world cruising experiences in command of a small craft.

If you don't feel you have eared the right to be in command ....then you should question why?

Personally, I don't include racers or chronic solo sailors in that list, since neither show respect or humility at sea to maintain a proper lookout and proceed at a safe speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
cap·tain [kap-tuhn, -tin] noun
1. a person who is at the head of or in authority over others; chief; leader.
Captain | Define Captain at Dictionary.com

When you are in command of your boat, it is perfectly appropriate for you, and others, to refer to yourself as the "captain." This is the term that the Coast Guard uses to refer to whoever is--at that time--in command of a vessel.

When I played little-league football, before each game we picked a "captain" of the team for that game. Same sort of thing.

When you charter a boat, the chartering agency wants to know who is going to be the "captain." That is, who is going to be the chief or leader on the boat during the charter. Same sort of thing. Perfectly appropriate use of the term "captain."

This is a whole different matter from adopting the formal title of "Captain." Those who call themselves "Captain," as if it is a formal title, when they have not been granted that rank by any authorized agency, are simply being pretentious.

I don't care much for pretentious people, but there is nothing at all inappropriate about referring to the person who is in command of the boat at the time as the "captain." It is simply a matter of being able to differentiate between a noun and a formal title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Having dealt with a multitude of captains on vessels large and small, I find the idea that owning up the position is somehow pretentious absolutely ludicrous. The captain is the one in charge.

It is the proper title for a position of responsibility.

If you want to argue a point differentiate between sperm donor and father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its all inverted snobbery along the way. A Doctor is called Doctor until he becomes a surgeon, then becomes a Mr. However the term Doctor is an honourary one because it primarliy refers to Doctorate holders!

Ex military that I am, and attaining the rank of Captain, I ditched the title as soon as I ditched the military. It doesnt even enter my consciousness. Living in Florida, all the 6 packers "sell" themselves as a "captain" of their vessel.

My yacht club (and most of them) have a "Commodore" and other ranks. Go figure.

In the USA, it is common to be refered to as Captain.. In the U.K. its more like "who is the w**ker in charge here?"

I understand boaties self deprecation regarding the title because its a long way from the ranking system of the navy or the listing of professional civilian maritime sailors.

On the other hand, women love a man in uniform, or failing that, a rank
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Some folks confuse the job role of captain with a rank or title. Every vessel has a captain (the person whom officialdom can blame for what the vessel does!) and who makes the "buck stops here" decisions aboard (whether their approach is collegiate or Bligh)....but none of that entitles someone to a rank or title, onboard or ashore.....no matter what their hat says!

I kinda lean on this side of the fence with the whole issue. Usually the only people referring to me as "Captain" are various officals here in the US, Canada, years ago when I took a power squadron course and Mx where I have been cruising. At first it set me back a bit. But like most posts here, it is a way for them to address a person responsible for the condition and safety of my vessel and the crew. I am also responsible for all the paperwork of my vessel and crew. I am the one held accountable. That was driven home this year in Mx during the import permit crisis that saw a few hundred boats impounded by the Federales.
Where the term goes sideways is the Yacht clubs and retail marine industry who do little more than inflate ego's in hopes of a few bucks. As far as the Commodore term in Yacht clubs...just another reason I would never join something where a red bulbous nosed idiot is in charge of nothing more than a bar.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 21:44   #78

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Our sailing club has commodores, but none of them take themselves too seriously and know that they're just the ones who got arm-twisted into taking on the responsibility. It's a low-cost club whose marina is maintained by the membership. We had a work party this spring in which we realized that the commodore and past commodores were a majority of our group. For a while, some folks got silly and at various points were calling out, "Hey commodore!" to see how many they could get to look.
Old 29-06-2014, 22:09   #79
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Jim is right!
I don't think I've ever been called "Captain" By anyone except an official.

Looking back at Royal Naval history;

The person in command of a Royal Naval ship was always called Captain while aboard, even if their actual rank was Lieutenant, or Lieutenant Commander. Ashore they would be referred to by their rank.

In the Army, (British and colonies) you could only use your rank as a title after reaching Major. Otherwise, for example, Captain XXXX would indicate a serving Officer.

The person holding an any tonnage, any ocean MASTERS licence, is entitled to be called Captain at a formal event. Like a Dr, or a Knight of the realm (Sir) he can choose to use, or not to use that title/rank.

Other than that, people claiming to be Captains are just delusional!
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 22:22   #80

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
Like the Confederate Air Force (or the Commemorative Air Force, as it is now known), where every member is referred to as "Colonel".
As one who once lived very close to the former CAF HQ (long walk/short bicycle, until Mayor Card squeezed them out of HRL) and was a member, the "Colonel" title was rarely used, just for formal stuff sometimes. It's universally bestowed mostly to 'level the field' amongst a varied membership.
I did actually have an cousin whose given name was "Colonel", I have no idea why though; and that's what everybody called him.
Old 29-06-2014, 22:42   #81

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I will now be known as Doctor Captain in social settings.

Except by my German friends, who shall all call me Frau Professor Doktor Kaptain.
Old 29-06-2014, 22:45   #82

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I saw a cardiologist in Calif. whose first name was "General". One wonders if that name had anything to do with him becoming a man of great presence.....?

When i crew on someone else's boat, I call the captain "Skipper".

Ann
Old 29-06-2014, 23:11   #83
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Met a proctologist once who introduced himself as the rear admiral......

Nah just kidding!
Old 29-06-2014, 23:12   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

So if a serving Admiral is sailing his private yacht does he get offended being called "Captain" on the radio? And should he correct the caller?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 23:16   #85
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Only if they are arguing over right of way and he has made sure he is not talking to the Lighthouse keeper.

The real one? ?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_VHXRYXzEVU
Old 30-06-2014, 00:01   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
So if a serving Admiral is sailing his private yacht does he get offended being called "Captain" on the radio? And should he correct the caller?
Some years ago I had the pleasure of having a serving three-star Admiral (USN) as a guest on board. He was the father of a co-worker, and a delightful chap. I didn't know exactly what to call him, so I called him "Paul" (his name). Worked a treat... eventually came down to saying "Dammit, Paul, give me back the helm". We were going back into our berth which was a bit tricky in a cross wind, and I knew that he had had an embarrassing event whilst driving a destroyer into its berth many years before. I was ready to spring that knowledge on him (and likely spoiling a friendship) when he sighed and handed over the con. I was relieved, and we remained friends!

Incidentally, he didn't call me "Captain" either!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-06-2014, 00:17   #87

Boat: Catalina 30

About the character Major Major Major Major in Catch 22:
Professor of Literature Alan Nadel observes that Maj. Major is "perhaps the exemplary null set in the novel". Everything about the character, he states, signifies nothing: The character's name is an empty repetition of "the name of authority". The character's promotion to squadron commander is meaningless. ("'You're the new squadron commander,' Colonel Cathcart had shouted rudely across the railroad ditch to him. 'But don't think it means anything, because it doesn't. All it means is that you're the new squadron commander.'"

Always loved that novel. Funniest thing I've ever read.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 00:49   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I didn't know exactly what to call him, so I called him "Paul" (his name).
My kid's friends call me "sir." First I didn't think kids did that anymore and second it really sounds weird to me.

Everyone bungles our last name so I generally say, "call me Mr. D."

Generally the classy guys will let you know. When I met Chuck Yeager I called him "General Yeager." He said call me Chuck.

When I met Jack Welch he said, "Call me Jack"

When I take my kid to the physician I always address him or her as, "Doctor." Primarily because I can't remember names and every new thing I put in the buffer seems to replace something that was there that I might actually need again.

People with real command presence don't need titles. Those that do are probably Skippers...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 00:58   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Always loved that novel. Funniest thing I've ever read.
Me too. Brilliant stuff.

Coops.
Old 30-06-2014, 02:43   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i once had a crew call me "Captain Fish Blood " after a knife fight with a large fish in the cockpit...............does that count?

Tags
captain

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: