Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-04-2017, 14:28   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Whelp...that was a bad day at the office, truck stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I'm in Tucson, if you need a hand I'll do what I can. I'm working the next couple of days, but send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.
Thank you so much for offering to help.

Sea Dreaming,

What an aggravation! Sorry this happened to you guys. I hope you manage to get it all back, but in the mean time, do follow up and get new passports quickly as ever you can. Best of luck with it. I also hope you were insured against theft.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:04   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hello,

Thank you for all the well wishes! Thank you PhiSig for your offering to help. My aunt lives north of Tucson so we stayed with her a couple of days.

Yes, there is some irony about leaving Mexico and having our truck stolen in the US! I can not make comment about who might have stolen the truck or where it will end up. I realize many will think that the truck was destined for a Mexican chop shop, but I think its pointless to speculate. Both of us have had cars stolen in other states much farther from the border so whomever did it really does not matter. Now that that is out of the way...

We have spent the last few days replacing some of the things we lost and buying a used car in Phoenix. Its been a very interesting few days! On one had gettng the truck stolen sucks and we have lost the value of that asset. On the other hand we have since had some very possitive experiences that actually made the last few days pleasant.

My aunt was a very gracious hostess and made us both feel loved and eased our feelings of stress considerably. It was lovely to spend time with her and my cousin Ann.

Our "new" car met our needs for cheap and reliable. But the seller was not honest and we ended up having to get repairs before the car would pass emissions. That might be a bummer but we found a shop that was very helpful and accomodating. Seriously, these guys were great! I am going to put a plug for them here because they were so good! If you ever need car repair in Tucson call Advantage Automotive. I think they worked on 15 cars whle we were there and yet they went out their way to replace a cracked exhaust manifold and other work to make sure wwe could be on our way. I just cannot say enough about this place!

We are very lucky that we only left a notarized copy of Jim's passport in the truck. We had our actual passports in the hotel room. We still have to contact the state department to find out if we need to replace Jim's passport or not. But over all the damage is probably minimal.

The loss of the truck sucked for sure. But its actually the loss of personal bits that pissed us off the most. But we got over it!

Still, our hearts were in our throats as we returned to San Carlos We imagined to loss of our boat or other disaster from being gone. Thankfully all is well. We are tired and poorer but doing well.

Old 08-04-2017, 15:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I'm impressed with your positive attitude. You and Jim seem to be able to take setbacks in stride and keep finding ways to move forward toward your dream. Good for you.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:11   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I'm impressed with your positive attitude. You and Jim seem to be able to take setbacks in stride and keep finding ways to move forward toward your dream. Good for you.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 20:07   #20

Thumbs up Truck recovered!

A quick update to this thread. Our truck was recovered!

Mexico Federal Police caught two men driving our truck near Mexican Nogales. The truck has been recovered in perfect working condition. However, all of our personal belongings and all of the truck accessories (like running boards, bed cover etc) were stripped. And of course the drivers side door lock and ignition were damaged.

Anyway, when we went to Nogales to pickup the truck there was a lot of paperwork that had to be translated into Spanish as well as the Mexican bureaucracy to deal with. Not knowing the system, and not speaking Spanish very well, the process seemed daunting. With amazing luck, however, we met a Mexican national who went round to all the office stops we had to make, directing us to the right places, translating, a helping us connect with the right people. Armando spent 2 days with us and recruited a friend for more help too.

Unbeknownst to us these two men took a personal risk to help us. After we finally took the truck back (legally) they hustled us to the border with some genuine fear. They believed the truck had been used to haul drugs and the cartel was "probably watching". Weather thus was true or not they appeared to believe it and so we did not argue.

Anyway, while checking out at the border the US Nogales police were called to finalize the repatriation of the truck. They had mug shots of the guys caught with the truck. Poor guys looked very normal and were probably just moving the truck for their boss.

After all of that we decided to move forward with selling the truck. That had been our original plan all along but, with the theft, we decided it was a liability and so we decided to sell sooner than planned. To this end we took the truck to our US mechanic just to have him fix the locks and look it over. But he made a very fair offer for the truck and we sold it on the spot. Amazing!

What a week!
Old 13-05-2017, 20:48   #21
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver

Certainly glad you made the best of it and the outcome was somewhat positive!
Old 13-05-2017, 23:22   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Congratulations! Good on ya, Sea Dreaming. How extremely kind of those two to help you, too. It really sped things up. Imo, an EXCELLENT outcome, and the truck got a good "new home."

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 23:47   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

We've been to Mexico many, many times, including just this past March BUT we don't live there. I can't understand why people move down there and put up with this sort of crap?

On one of our lovely Mexican vacations a local bloke broke into our caming tent with a knife to steal our money and believe it or not... my pants. We caught him and recovered the money, but let him keep my pants since he'd crapped in them during the struggle.

Haven't been back to San Filipe since. Don't we go cruising to get away from this stuff? There are nice safe places where one doesn't need to worry about the agua. 'Just saying.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We've been to Mexico many, many times, including just this past March BUT we don't live there. I can't understand why people move down there and put up with this sort of crap?

On one of our lovely Mexican vacations a local bloke broke into our caming tent with a knife to steal our money and believe it or not... my pants. We caught him and recovered the money, but let him keep my pants since he'd crapped in them during the struggle.

Haven't been back to San Filipe since. Don't we go cruising to get away from this stuff? There are nice safe places where one doesn't need to worry about the agua. 'Just saying.
Umm, Ken, they were not cruising in Mexico, they were not driving in Mexico, they were not even IN Mexico. The bastards who stole their truck in the USA took it to Mexico.

So, I'd have to say, following your logic, don't drive or park your truck in the USA. There are nice places where you don't have to worry about truck theft so much.

Jim
Old 14-05-2017, 02:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jim,

So then we agree, the thieves reside in Mexico.

BTW a good friend of ours who lived in Mexico for 7 years was eventually kidnapped and held for ransom in good ol' Mexico. It cost his family $75k to get him out in one piece. True story. He looked a little too successful to the nice local folks looking to make a quick buck.
Old 14-05-2017, 06:14   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have to smile.

Last time I checked, the town you live in has a really high crime rate, and by your own admission, both you and your wife carry weapons for self protection.

?

Having lived in the USA for 14 years, I can state that there are some better areas than others to live.. but ALL areas have problems from time to time. I have a CCW. Some areas I had to visit in the course of my job made it necessary, but I didnt live there. My residence in Florida was in a safe area, but ONLY because of the local security and regular police presence in sweeps through the neighbourhood.... My house in a really safe area in central California when I lived there was robbed when I was in it! amazing.

No denying Mexico has problems. Im also pretty sure that if some of the local people had a little more money they would move from certain areas to get away from gangs. Gangs exist in the USA in a large way in every state.

Most places in the world have crime issues, Including Spain and Italy.. theft being an everyday event. If it has not happened to you it just means it has not happened to you.... yet.

Being on a boat keeps theft to a minimum until they actually come to you and take what they want... and it may yet happen. No where is safe, not really, just some places are safer than others.

I choose to not live in a dangerous place here in Spain.. but bad things happen from time to time. A friend left his 2nd floor apartment window open one night, and in the morning found his computer missing and a few other things.. the thief climbed up on the outside apartment to apartment.. a really safe area... but not really.

So if you choose to not go to Mexico for reasons, perhaps best to look around your own home area first and see if it any safer overall.

I bet it isnt.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 06:28   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't recall stating that the town I live in six months per year is completely safe, drug related crime is a big problem. Heroin to be specific. But I can't rememder reading or hearing about people in Whoville, Ma being held up at knife point or being kidnapped and held for ransom. That kind of news comes out of Mexico.

I was in Acapulco the week after the cartel killed a dozen tourists and taxi drivers in that city. The cruise ships no longer even go to some of those places.... for a good reason.

Anyway, 'nuff said, I don't feel like starting an argument. 'Just thought the OP might want to reconsider their choice of cruising grounds, since it doesn't seem like they got off to a wonderful start.
Old 14-05-2017, 06:58   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

MASSACHUSETTS VIOLENT CRIMES
POPULATION: 6,794,422

Murder 128
Rape 2,075
Robbery 5,288
Assault 19,071

I left out the specifics on your abode as it is higher than the average.

However... kidnapping when associated with another crime like rape is classed under rape. It is kidnapping.

A lot of the assaults were at knifepoint.

That makes your location statistically the same as Mexico. Except when a bad thing happens in Mexico it is in larger numbers.

Prejudice often clouds judgement. We are used to certain things but the reality is what it is... Safety is relative..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 07:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Who cares? I'm in Northern Italy at present, when at home I carry a gun if I feel like it. 'Can't do that in Mexico

'Nuff said.
Old 14-05-2017, 07:45   #30

Actually, we have been very pleased with Mexico and our experiences here. I have no explanation for it. So many have a negative attitude regarding Mexico but perhaps we just have "dumb luck".

33 USA citizens were killed in the Indonesian tsunami of 2004. 40,000 USA citizen died on US highways in 2016. These are just two examples of the risks we take as travelers and I only spent 30 seconds to get the facts.

Yes, there is a criminal element everywhere. But there are also natural disasters and more domestic causes of untimely death too! Much more of those actually.

So, should we stay home, bar the windows and stare at the walls? Life is pretty risky. Maybe we just need more bubble wrap!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: