Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 02:37   #376

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Since the un-named captain has shown exceptionally good judgement so far and not gotten involved in some insipid internet argument that ultimately serves no positive purpose, I submit that he is well equipped to make good decisions (arguably better ones that the OP who started this topic then bailed) and most certainly gets my benefit of all the doubt in this thread.
+1

altough way past the useful stage, still an entertaining thread!
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 05:20   #377
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Since the un-named captain has shown exceptionally good judgement so far and not gotten involved in some insipid internet argument that ultimately serves no positive purpose, I submit that he is well equipped to make good decisions (arguably better ones that the OP who started this topic then bailed) and most certainly gets my benefit of all the doubt in this thread.

+2 🍻 ..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 18:32   #378

Boat: islandpacket

I really feel the orriginal question is a mute point because of the lack of info or response.

The responsibilities between capt and crew should be descused. Information is a two way street.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2019, 14:50   #379

Any skipper worth his salt will have any crew member who is compensated for crewing sign a waiver and agreement. It's actually an International Law. Also, agreeing to join a boat over the phone or email is a recipe for disaster. Always 'press the flesh' before heading off into the unknown.
My 2 cents
Drewnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:11   #380

Boat: Tartan 3800

Zombie thread!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 21:44   #381

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Lightbulb Internet sourced voluntary crew? NEVER.

I remember this thread. Although thread resurrection w/o doubt, it is deserving of an honorable mention in the Cruiser's Forum Hall of Fame, if there were one.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 01:03   #382

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It seems very odd to me that you wouldn't bother defending your own honor on the internet, but you've spent a lot of time defending the actions of the captain, whom you've never met.

One saying that is proven true over and over again: actions speak louder than words.

The captain may not be on here “defending his honor” because he’s not aware of this thread or possibly not even this forum. Even if he is aware I could understand not wanting to get embroiled in this and getting his integrity questioned by strangers who weren’t there. Also, unless you use your actual name on here, nobody knows who you are anyway so why would you care that a made-up name that none of your friends know you by gets criticized on a forum?

I feel like the captain was pretty generous by handing over $260. If the crew member with the health issue and a PhD about had disclosed it over the phone he could have educated the captain about his condition and presented his argument about why it wouldn’t be a hindrance and let the captain digest that info and make his decision before money was spent. But by springing this on the captain at the last minute he hurt his credibility and put the captain in a tough spot. Whether potential crew travel just across town or from another continent shouldn’t affect the captains decision about what health issues are not allowed on his boat and since there was no prior agreement to pay for any transportation, the captain was generous to pay way beyond what was agreed to.

As for the issue of accepting responsibility that you’ve brought up, the OP needs to accept responsibility for not disclosing his condition in a timely manner. He’s amassed a lot of knowledge about his condition and has had time to get comfortable with it and he may well be right that it should be a non issue, but he also needs to understand that when he sails as crew that is not his call to make so he needs to begin to educate captains about his condition as soon as possible so they can have time to possibly get comfortable with it.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 21:19   #383

Same title: Slightly different content but here goes....

Sailing Hawaii to Australia. One crew not happy and wants to leave (I took on a young couple who had a quarrel).
I arrange another person to be at Tonga when we arrive. I've paid their flight. We arrive in Tonga and I tell authorities one member will be leaving and another joining.
Next day, the first crew member decides they will stay on after all (they made up!) and the second crew member decides they don't want to join us (this one was an ex - no, I'm not making this up!).

Question time:
Am I responsible as Master for sending the second crew member home?
Do I have to pay for their flight?
Do I now have to inform the port authorities that the original crew will be sailing?
JacquieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:05   #384

You have no obligations to the Yes-No person. In point of law in most western nations, a joint reneging on an oral contract nullifies the contract. However, you might want to look for new crew anyways. A couple that make up are then more likely to break up again. Or just learn to single hand. I did.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, skipper