Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 13:14   #346

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Did I not say..??
Must be Female..
No strings..!!
I guess you don't want me nor I you.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:24   #347

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

Ann, im at a loss to work out where the schitophrenia suggestion came from?
===

It came from reading about his experience on Linkedin.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:28   #348

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

It came from reading about his experience on Linkedin.
I read through his Linkedin, but i didnt see that

But, now ive gone back and read the extended part of Linkedin i can see why people are guessing. Which people SHOULD NOT be guessing on what research hes done.

We simply dont know full stop.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:30   #349

Quote:
My crew get All expense's paid on land and sea.. including overnights in decent hotels enroute.. and apart from looking pretty and standing one watch every 24hrs each, some line handling what ever.. are free to do as they choose the rest of the time..
I do the rest.. sailing, cooking etc..
they're compensated with free travel abroad to scenic spots they'd normally never get to, food they'd never experience, people, cultures.. and great suntans thrown in.
They make up the numbers..
and I like them..
its that simple
That's very generous of you! I hope they all appreciate how good a deal they got!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:38   #350
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That's very generous of you! I hope they all appreciate how good a deal they got!
Naah... Its a mutual back scratch.. without them I could not take on the good trips.. they earn it just being there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 13:42   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
That's utter rubbish, and the silliest thing you, or anyone else, has said. To equate a marriage proposal (with all that precedes it, face to face), an engagement and a $50,000 wedding to an internet and phone interaction that leads to a potential sailing trip is a total non-starter. I suggest you go and do a little captaining or crewing and see if that changes your perspective.

And the only thing that I hope comes out of all of this is that people realize how complex the challenges of putting a crew together really are. Captain's, do your homework. Crew, same thing and don't ever think you have invested what the owners and captains have...it's not a lark. Everyone, try to have a rational discussion pointing out your own shortcomings and pitfalls, before anyone gets in a situation that hurts. This is best in many aspects of life, but we so often do the opposite, hiding things we don't want people to know, and not being forthcoming....and then look for someone else to blame.

I am outta here!
I think the wedding analogy was fairly close, too bad you can't see it.

The captain and OP spent 3 weeks talking on the phone and the OP answered all questions honestly and fully, so he stated. He flew out at the captain's request, which is similar to getting engaged and having the bride's family pay for the wedding.

At the last minute the captain changes his mind - whatever the reason was, it doesn't matter because it is his prerogative to do so as so many have pointed out. He CAUSED the OP to spend the money to fly out, the OP didn't just fly out on a whim. I know in this day and age no one takes responsibility for their actions, but I still feel the person who decided the OP should fly out should reimburse him for the flight if he did not get his side of the bargain fulfilled - namely becoming a crewmember.
Old 28-01-2016, 13:53   #352

Quote:
I think the wedding analogy was fairly close, too bad you can't see it.

The captain and OP spent 3 weeks talking on the phone and the OP answered all questions honestly and fully, so he stated. He flew out at the captain's request, which is similar to getting engaged and having the bride's family pay for the wedding.

At the last minute the captain changes his mind - whatever the reason was, it doesn't matter because it is his prerogative to do so as so many have pointed out. He CAUSED the OP to spend the money to fly out, the OP didn't just fly out on a whim. I know in this day and age no one takes responsibility for their actions, but I still feel the person who decided the OP should fly out should reimburse him for the flight if he did not get his side of the bargain fulfilled - namely becoming a crewmember.
It has all been BS. Only one side of the situation has ever had any input. Sounds like a poor me?
Old 28-01-2016, 13:59   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Socaldmax,

It is always possible that I missed the point of this thread. For me, it was a leaping off point for the discussion of the risks of taking on or being crew for someone one does not know.

My sense was that the OP was seeking support for his outrage, which I felt was unwarranted. There's no way on earth the skipper could read this guy's mind to know what investments he was going to make, so no responsibility there. I think it is a shame the whole deal didn't work out, and I do think that occurred because the OP was not adequately forthcoming. I do not believe you can get the kind of information you need about people before you take them on as crew by internet "chat" or even telephone contact. You need to see them face to face. I completely agree with Boatman61's post #325 on this subject. I think it was extremely kind of the skipper to give the guy the cash he did. Personally, I do not often carry that much on me at any given time. [That choice has nothing whatsoever to do with questions of my overall solvency or lack thereof. I did not respond to that part of your posts, but perhaps you can see where I'm coming from; I was taught early to not carry more than I was happy to lose.]

Nothing personal here, sir, but I am finding this discussion somewhat tedious at this point, and will be outta here for a bit.

Ann
Ann, I can agree that this thread has been a good jumping off point and a lot of great info has been brought up, it was a real eye opener for me. Since I'm obviously in the minority in terms of taking responsibility for one's actions, I've decided that anything involving money and other people will be covered by a fairly clear and enforceable contract.

I'm an old fashioned type. I take responsibility not only for my actions, but for the repercussions of my actions or decisions. I have a few female friends who like to come and visit me in San Diego and enjoy the weather. If I invited one to come visit and then when she arrived I decided not to see her, I'd gladly pay for her round trip air fare and apologize profusely for her inconvenience.

How much I carry in my pocket is of no consequence, I can easily whip out my smart phone, click the "Kayak" app and book her a ticket and pay for it with my debit card online, as well as book the hotel room in just a few minutes. For the capt. to give him $260 and claim it's all he has is just a ploy to get off cheap.

If that truly is all he has, then I'm absolutely serious in saying that's a recipe for disaster and the OP dodged a big bullet.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:02   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I guess you don't want me nor I you.
If you look good in a dress, you might be able to get a spot.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:03   #355

Agree with Max, plus just want to add that a skipper should never eat the crew, no matter how they are cooked.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 14:05   #356

Quote:
It has all been BS. Only one side of the situation has ever had any input. Sounds like a poor me?
What do you want to hear from the captain? That he did or didn't tell the OP to fly out?

Why he chose to dismiss the OP? That makes no difference, it's the captain's prerogative, he doesn't need justification or even a good reason.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:07   #357

Quote:
Oh what a drag it is.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:20   #358

Quote:
I hope you are shitting me.
Old 28-01-2016, 14:24   #359
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
I hope you are shitting me.
Unfortunate terminology to say the least...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 14:35   #360

Quote:
Unfortunate terminology to say the least...
Oh yuck, getting a bit dark on this board.

Tags
crew, skipper