Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 13:13   #211
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
With this excellent attitude you would be welcome crew, to me.
Excellent attitude aside, I think his physical limitations and medical conditions would exclude him from sailing with me.


Like I've been saying all along, one captain's exclusionary health issues are another captain's "welcome aboard." It's all a matter of opinion, and only history will tell us later whether they were right or wrong.
__________________

__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:05   #212
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NC
Boat: 1974 Morgan Out Island 33
Posts: 552
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Excellent attitude aside, I think his physical limitations and medical conditions would exclude him from sailing with me.
My point exactly. None of my "disabilities" bother me but I am not the skipper on your boat.

If I am up front about my "disabilities" and you don't want me on your boat - "oh well". I move on to another skipper who won't object. But I will not be a thousand miles from home when I discover it.
__________________

__________________
Order tends to Chaos. On the ocean it happens twice as fast.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:56   #213
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,148
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
^ Made me LOL for real -- funny cos it's true

And IF this is the same boat and IF it was about a health concern, then I fully understand the skipper.
I would not take anyone with me with health issues - just not a responsible thing to do.
Aside from the health issue itself, it was kept secret. As a skipper, I would expect full disclosure. Secrets sink ships. In this case, full disclosure may have saved the crew member his time and travel expenses.

As soon as you catch someone (especially someone you hardly know) in a lie or deception, it calls their character into question. I cannot stand liars. If someone lies to my face, how can I trust them to stand a watch while I sleep?
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:01   #214
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,877
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The whole thing is a he said she said situation.
How so? The OP "said" part of his side of the story and conveniently omitted key information even after being called out on it. We haven't heard from the Captain.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:06   #215
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,148
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Average age was 78 years old. No one had a problem, but it was good to know that we were prepared. We did also carry two body bags just in case.
Wow...body bags! I never in my life considered bringing body bags on a passage. Never really thought about it.

I did once have a crew member who was so seasick that, passed out in his bunk for a long time, I wondered if he had died. It was a rough passage, blowing hard with big waves. We were hard on the wind, and heeling. I could not leave the wheel. I knew that when I tacked he would roll out of his bunk and I would find out. I put off tacking as long as possible. Fortunately, he was ok...just really sea sick. But made me think. It was my father.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:22   #216
Registered User
 
MBWhite's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Illinois
Boat: Hurley Alacrity
Posts: 370
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
How so? The OP "said" part of his side of the story and conveniently omitted key information even after being called out on it. We haven't heard from the Captain.
I can most certainly sympathize with the OP, but as mentioned the health issue that apparently caused this has still not been discussed and to me that is the crux of the matter.

For example, if someone showed up at the boat looking like this gentleman and disclosed an existing and undiscussed illness I'd probably consider it prudent to pass unless it was a pretty short passage:
__________________
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:22   #217
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

So much conjecture on this thread. Bottom line is, none of us know. Calling the OP a lier and deceiver and claims he deliberately deceived the skipper is low. None of us know.

And in the abscence of ANY further information from page one, i support the skippers decision without all the name calling of the OP.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:34   #218
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,058
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
How so? The OP "said" part of his side of the story and conveniently omitted key information even after being called out on it. We haven't heard from the Captain.
You are correct. We hadn't heard from him and I would not expect to hear from him. I don't think he needs to. Having to defend yourself?
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:40   #219
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
My point exactly. None of my "disabilities" bother me but I am not the skipper on your boat.

If I am up front about my "disabilities" and you don't want me on your boat - "oh well". I move on to another skipper who won't object. But I will not be a thousand miles from home when I discover it.
IMHO, it's the captain's duty to ask about any and all issues prior to you flying out. You shouldn't have to guess about what might exclude you from the trip, he has a list of things that are a deal breaker for him, he should make sure to ask before you fly.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:45   #220
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 278
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
IMHO, it's the captain's duty to ask about any and all issues prior to you flying out. You shouldn't have to guess about what might exclude you from the trip, he has a list of things that are a deal breaker for him, he should make sure to ask before you fly.

Yes, but you could save the captain time, and yourself both time and money by disclosing an issue that you know might be material.
__________________
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:46   #221
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Aside from the health issue itself, it was kept secret. As a skipper, I would expect full disclosure. Secrets sink ships. In this case, full disclosure may have saved the crew member his time and travel expenses.

As soon as you catch someone (especially someone you hardly know) in a lie or deception, it calls their character into question. I cannot stand liars. If someone lies to my face, how can I trust them to stand a watch while I sleep?
As a crewmember, I would also expect full disclosure from the skipper. If we set sail and then I found out the captain was nearly broke and expecting us crewmembers to pay for any repairs or emergencies, I'd be pretty angry and definitely wouldn't pay for repairs to someone else's boat.

Fred didn't lie about his health any more than the captain lied about his financial condition.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:49   #222
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Yes, but you could save the captain time, and yourself both time and money by disclosing an issue that you know might be material.
It had never prevented him from being a crewmember before, so it probably seemed immaterial to him, since it was immaterial to the previous captains.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 15:54   #223
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 278
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It had never prevented him from being a crewmember before, so it probably seemed immaterial to him, since it was immaterial to the previous captains.
If it warranted PhD study on his part, you'd think it might have been worth a mention.

Live and learn.
__________________
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 16:04   #224
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
If it warranted PhD study on his part, you'd think it might have been worth a mention.

Live and learn.


You make a hell of a lot of assumptions.

A friend of mine has a PhD in political science. It certainly wasn't warranted. It was something that interested her and she did it. That must be an indication of some sort of underlying medical issue....
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 16:10   #225
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,058
Re: What's a skipper's obligation to voluntary crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
As a crewmember, I would also expect full disclosure from the skipper. If we set sail and then I found out the captain was nearly broke and expecting us crewmembers to pay for any repairs or emergencies, I'd be pretty angry and definitely wouldn't pay for repairs to someone else's boat.

Fred didn't lie about his health any more than the captain lied about his financial condition.
I'm am not sure anyone substantiated the Skipper was near broke. If he pulled $260 out of his pocket it was probably pin money. I can't see making him the bad guy. I still think the OP is looking for sympathy and didn't disclose what would have been prevalent on the phone? Would you rather the Skipper put the rest of the crew or himself in peril. Then we could hang him out to dry here for not vetting his crew.
__________________

__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crew, skipper

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Checklist For Voluntary Crew la vida nueva Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 219 21-10-2017 19:17
Insurance Obligation ? Ted Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 15-01-2011 16:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.