Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 08:31   #346
Registered User
 
coyfish9906's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 170
I take a beautiful bow like a professional. If only u could c it. Lol
__________________

__________________
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:06   #347
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

i see it!!!!!!
my favorite crew to date has been and still is a professional fisherman and lapsed 1600 ton master. i have listened to 50 , 100 and 500 ton masters spew forth drivel and pomposity, yet he never once did this humble fisherman spew--he ACTED and knew exactly what the boat needed and when to do it. was a pleasure to sail with him.
i would take a professional fisherman over an individual with asa wtf as a crew in a heartbeat.
knowing currents and air flow patterns is fairly important in sailing whether cruising or racing. i am surprised more alleged sailors arent knowledgeable in meteorology and hydro and aero dynamics. can save as life and a boat.
__________________

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 17:23   #348
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

I came across this on another .com and thought some of it very relevant to the thread's stated topic. Here is a bit of first para. 2 and it goes on.

Sensible Simplicity: Sailing and Self-reliance as Empowerment

Quote:
Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sailing and Self-reliance as Empowerment





One thing led to another as I was absolutely hooked. I also was, however, unknown to myself, a becoming a complete relic, a sailing iconoclast.. See, I started learning from sailing by reading books written in the 1920's in the pre-motor, or pre-yachting era. I figured, as the people in the books informed me, that self-reliance was everything-- that motors especially were unnecessary and if you
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:15   #349
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
considering how many commercial fishermen die every year...that's one group I would advise NOT using as role models for going to sea.
Yes, But commercial fishermen are out there in extremes of weather, While your sitting at home on your couch, The weather looks a bit off today, so I wont go out in it,

Same applies to all shipping, They are out there in the extreme weather, Not because they want to, But because they have to,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:46   #350
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Yes, But commercial fishermen are out there in extremes of weather, While your sitting at home on your couch, The weather looks a bit off today, so I wont go out in it,

Same applies to all shipping, They are out there in the extreme weather, Not because they want to, But because they have to,
COMPLETELY missed the point...read ALL my posts....

Plus I've spent my time at sea through tropical storms, hurricanes and north Pacific stoms with 60 plus footers and North/South Atlantic with 30 plus footers.... on all kinds of boats and ships...different ethic than many but not all comm fishermen...that's WHY I am sitting on my couch tonight and not in a watery grave.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:49   #351
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
considering how many commercial fishermen die every year...that's one group I would advise NOT using as role models for going to sea.
Well, I disagree with that. It's a business, and they have to go out in rough conditions as well as calm days. It's a dangerous profession, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing.

The problem with "trial and error" is that you don't always know it was an error. I come back to the four football players, who took a coastal boat out into the Gulf without checking the weather and then anchored it quite badly. It was all things they'd tried (trial) before and done without mishap, making them unaware of their errors and in fact believing that they knew what they were doing.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:55   #352
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, I disagree with that. It's a business, and they have to go out in rough conditions as well as calm days. It's a dangerous profession, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing.

The problem with "trial and error" is that you don't always know it was an error. I come back to the four football players, who took a coastal boat out into the Gulf without checking the weather and then anchored it quite badly. It was all things they'd tried (trial) before and done without mishap, making them unaware of their errors and in fact believing that they knew what they were doing.
Go back and read all my posts...I discussed how many get underway with boats that are leaking seriously before they leave the dock...or boats with such poor maintenance or bad stability...etc...etc...I guess some of you think that's being a good role model? Just because they usually make it back despite bad conditions doesn't mean they are any better seamen than cruisers who survive their first storm at sea (accidental or good seamanship? your guess is as good as mine...)
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:39   #353
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

After more than a few years commercial fishing for salmon, halibut and herring in the PNW, I gave it up for a very good reason... my life expectancy was probably about 20 years at that line of work. Towing logs and barges and beachcombing was a little safer but not much. The guys I sailed with and worked with on the water were tough, hard working, hard drinking but those that lasted were fairly safety conscious. We all knew the losers who didn't care for their vessels, their gear, their crew or themselves... most of them died at sea or just never came home. Fortunately, there are many others who sailed responsibly, were sound seamen and willing to share their knowledge. My guess it is like every other job... there those who excel and survive and those who don't do either. It was a great way to grow up and earn a living, learn about life and respect for the ocean... wouldn't trade a minute of it... Capt Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:54   #354
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

capttman.....

i got your answer!!!!!!



I LEARN EVERY TIME I DO.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:54   #355
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

i will agree with you! it really depends on the person, if you are very
determined about doing it yourself, yes you can. for centuries people have learned by watching and being taught by the people that knew. they did not always have "classrooms". you can be taught by experienced professionals through reading books and more books and watching videos. we today have the power of the internet, i encourage you to study anything and everything you can get your hands on, and then study it over and over. not everyone can learn this way, but if you can't learn it this way then you will have a very hard time learning it in a classroom also. the best way to learn is by seeing and doing, did you have to go to school to learn how to walk? if you did not keep trying after you fell down you would still be crawling today, right? you have to an interest and a will to do it, a burning desire inside you. read books over and over because some things you cannot fully understand the first few times you read it. to start with, i would suggest you read the books written by Lin and Larry Pardey and watch their videos over and over. the pardey's have truly launched a thousand dreams.
you can contact me, if you want to learn more.......james
__________________
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 22:53   #356
Registered User
 
coyfish9906's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 170
Ahoy, I just got back from my last trip (for awhile at least) as a fisherman. Hit a lil pay dirt and I do mean little, glad to see this topic is still going
__________________
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 22:00   #357
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: Beneteau/343
Posts: 181
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

What are the collective thoughts on asa 105/106? I took 104 this spring, daysail regularly, and have chartered a boat in the San Juans. So, I take classes, I read and I do. I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed reading charts and tide charts during the charter and had a pretty good idea how lost I would have been without the GPS.

With this as a back ground, are the 105/106 courses worth my time?
__________________
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 22:18   #358
Registered User
 
callmecrazy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Tartan 30
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

not sure about 106, but 105 is a DIY class. You get a book and you study at home, then pass the test. No classes, no hands-on learning...

basically 104 is all you really need. Get some books on (or a cheaper online class like nauticED) for the navigation stuff. And as for 106, go sailing.
__________________
My Blog
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:54   #359
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: Beneteau/343
Posts: 181
Re: Whatever Happened to Learn by Doing ? Read a Book and Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
not sure about 106, but 105 is a DIY class. You get a book and you study at home, then pass the test. No classes, no hands-on learning...

basically 104 is all you really need. Get some books on (or a cheaper online class like nauticED) for the navigation stuff. And as for 106, go sailing.
Any other thoughts on 105/106? Anyone here take 106 and 108?
__________________
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:12   #360
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Indeed.

A better Mencken quote:
“The inferior man’s reasons for hating knowledge are not hard to discern. He hates it because it is complex – because it puts an unbearable burden upon his meager capacity for taking in ideas. Thus his search is always for short cuts. Their aim is to make the unintelligible simple, and even obvious.”
~ H.L. Mencken
+1 thumbs up
__________________

__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.