Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 14:05   #181

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

My wife makes the perfect boating woman as she gets involved in every activity going. I leave the boat and come back and her head is buried below decks using the wet/dry and cleaning out the bilge. She is the first over the side with a scraper cleanig the growth off the rudder/propellor and whatever else she can reach. When we first got to our marina years ago she was spotted with the boom over her shoulder bringing it down the jetty. I overheard "That ones a keeper" from stangers.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 14:36   #182

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
My wife makes the perfect boating woman as she gets involved in every activity going. I leave the boat and come back and her head is buried below decks using the wet/dry and cleaning out the bilge. She is the first over the side with a scraper cleanig the growth off the rudder/propellor and whatever else she can reach. When we first got to our marina years ago she was spotted with the boom over her shoulder bringing it down the jetty. I overheard "That ones a keeper" from stangers.
Broom means nothing. Maybe she was just bringing her own transportion. I am more impressed with that first over the side to clean the prop. Now that's a keeper! Congrats.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:17   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I could wish, but I can't say that my wife is the first in the water. I was raised in the 80 degree water of 'Lauderdale and put on a wet suit for anything under 60 degrees. Somehow Nancie senses the slightest vibration from something on the prop. I was into the water in Maine (always cold) only to find a scrap of seaweed wrapped around the shaft. Okay, so some of that Maine seaweed is like wire, but I have no idea how she knows it's there! I bought a good Henderson suit so I can dive in for the bits! I'm reminded of Marlin Perkins telling his lackey, "Get hin Jim", when Jim jumps off the boat to wrestle a 24' anaconda! .....but I just come up with a nine inch piece of weed!
Old 02-12-2012, 15:19   #184

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Broom means nothing. Maybe she was just bringing her own transportion. I am more impressed with that first over the side to clean the prop. Now that's a keeper! Congrats.
If you reread, you will notice that the original said BOOM.
Old 02-12-2012, 15:32   #185

Well's that's her part of the co-captaincy. She feels it, you peels it. I have a few thousand warm water dives. But when I was Shanghai-ed for 14 years on the great lakes, a wreck-diving paradise (I hear), I never made a one. Slipping over the side in Maine would separate the men from the boys. Might even separate the "boys" from the boys.

Blue Crab
Certified Wuss

Old 02-12-2012, 15:34   #186
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Pictured are two women. One never gets riled because......

I married the other style of woman 30 years ago thinking it was my only option. Today, guys have more choices. Lol
Oh dear, I do pity the man who marries the wife who doesn't even compare to a plastic doll. Poor guy.

BUT:
Quote:
(While this post is 102% sarcastic comedy, and not created to be hurtful in any way, some truth always manages to filter into any silly story)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:41   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Ha ha, so it does. I'm almost ashamed to say it's funnier my way. But there it is in print.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_lwj9zisMlF1qahan0o1_1280.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	50626  
Old 02-12-2012, 15:49   #188

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Thanks for sharing Alan and getting back on topic. It just makes life so much easier when someone is helping out.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:22   #189

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
No worries, the wife got a huge kick out of the "error"...lol
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 17:03   #190

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Oh dear, I do pity the man who marries the wife who doesn't even compare to a plastic doll. Poor guy.

BUT:
Me too, Saucy...and for the record GaryMayo, I do know that there are women out there that are spiteful, passive aggressive, hold grudges and are just plain __________. I am sorry that you have encountered two in your life that ruined it for you for any others...hopefully in the next lifetime you will find a good one. Faking one of the best things in life and trying to poison you with horrible cooking is not cool...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19   #191

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Don't sweat the small stuff Jeffry. The Internet, for some, is an avenue to vent. It's a lot like the political campaign we just had to endure. When one of the candidates had a speech and used one questionable word, then the rival candidate would pounce on him.
I have found that after 6 years on this forum, I tend to glaze over some posters and use great restraint (sometimes) when replying. All in all I value everyone's opinion. It keeps a topic interesting.
You are of course correct. It truly shoked me the tone I received back. I'm in OV right now and prepping Bloodhound for return to LA.

Cheers all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BLOODHOUND a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	50668  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13   #192

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
You are of course correct. It truly shoked me the tone I received back. I'm in OV right now and prepping Bloodhound for return to LA.

Cheers all
Where is OV?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:07   #193

Boat: 46 Maple Leaf

I was living aboard when I met my present wife so she knew were boats fit in my existence. Though sailing was new to her, she was hooked in more ways than one.

I would have to agree with others here, sharing the dream, adventures is way up there. I can and have been teaching her the sailing part, baby steps.
meandmyhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:53   #194
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Obviously the dual captain thing does work for some, but nonetheless I think an exception.
What I originally proposed was in no way a "dual captain" arrangement. The very idea of a captain is anachronistic. Stipulating that my sailboat needs a captain makes no more sense than were you to argue that my apartment needs a "Lord of the Manor." If you want to argue that ships need captains (or that manors need Lords) then go ahead and make your case. But the chain-of-command logic you'll be arguing has nothing to do with what happens on my boat.

Someone made the claim a few pages ago that when his boat was beam-on to "standing waves" (which only exist on rivers, btw, I think he meant to reference "breaking" waves) that his boat needed a captain in that instant. That's a crying shame. If my boat finds itself beam-on to breaking seas, the person at the wheel isn't going to have to wait for a superior officer to give an order about what to do. If it's me, I'll bear off. If it's Wonderblond, she'll bear off. No screaming necessary, no chain of command required, no male ego involved. All that's required to make the system work is trust. Do I absolutely trust that she'll make the right decision in that moment? Yep. And I'm confident that she trusts me equally in breaking seas.

What was it High Heels said back on Post #94? Oh yeah: "It comes down to this - Trust, Respect, and more Respect for each other, the Ocean, the boat, and one's self...."
Old 03-12-2012, 16:23   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Where is OV?
Ole Vicksburg and heading back to Louisanna? ...'just kidding,- I think LA is Los Angeles,- or back to Living Aboard? I recently learned from another thread that the OC is Orange County, though I don't know where that is. I'm pretty slow when it comes to keeping up with SCL.