Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 20:53   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I beleive for a particular passage there should be one skipper. Responsibility can be delegated as appropriate. It's not a man or women thing to even whose the best sailor. It's the " buck stops here". That's needed.

Dave

I agree on having one captain-not a male/female thing but think the one who is the best sailor (most experience & skill) needs to be the captain. Also, I would only go to sea with a sailor I trust explicitly.

All standing watch alone/in control of the helm must be trusted make normal decisions as well-but at sea there can be situations that are outside of the norm. That doesn't mean a discussion of the situation isn't good if possible (different people see different sides). But sometimes an immediate decision must be made and I would trust the person with the best experience.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:55   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

Wether to have a designated captain or share the responsibility with who happens to be at the helm seems to depend on the following:

When a group of sailors come together in order to make a passage or charter a boat for a period of time a designated captain seems to be essential. This is especially true when the members of the crew are not long term cruisers and their time aboard is a diversion from their life on shore.

When a couple has been sailing together for a long period of time quick decisions can be made by who is at the helm at the time and agreement comes easy for plans that may take some time in deciding. We've been living aboard and cruising as a couple since we left Annapolis in November of 1971. The thought of one of us taking on the role as the ultimate decision maker would be absurd at this point in our experience.
Old 01-12-2012, 22:49   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
All the women Captains I know, about a dozen, are 'Marge in charge' and for good reason. Decisions/sacrifices have to be made, sometimes tough ones. Cooperation and teamwork must reign supreme, always. But when the kimchi hits the decks, one person needs to be in charge. Off shore is a different animal than land based activity. Those not with the program can't walk away..
OMG .
I had to look that one up:

'Marge in charge'
An annoying fat person who attempts to take the lead in any discussion. This person often begs for attention, and his or her point of view revolves around what they saw on television the night before.

What an insult to all cruising women .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 23:16   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
OMG .

'Marge in charge'
An annoying fat person who attempts to take the lead in any discussion. This person often begs for attention, and his or her point of view revolves around what they saw on television the night before.

Get 'em girl, Let's see, what other little rhyming dismissive terms could we use, "Noobs with boobs" perhaps. How about for the men then? "Dipsticks with p***ks". And for the gold chains, captains caps and deckshoe brigade, "Danglies with spanglies".

Coops.
Old 01-12-2012, 23:23   #140

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
OMG .

'Marge in charge'

Oh oh, now you've done kt. Lassie is on the warpath. Run for cover.

But let's get a few things straight, and let's distinguish between sailing couples like capt. Force, seaworthy lass, moi and boats with larger crews.

We sailing couples don't need an appointed capt. Both the teammates are sailors in their own right and equally capable of being capt. Because I took my Yachtmaster Ocean before Vinni, I happen to be the nominal capt. On the paperwork.

At sea, unless it is an emergency, we disuss and make a joint decision. In an emergency, it's the helmsman that automatically becomes capt. Why? Because the helmsman is the one paying attention and has seen the situation arise.

Vinni is an excellent seaman, and I have no qualms about her decision-making.

If we take on crew for a passage, we would appoint one of us capt. Only because it simplifies things for the crew (who to call if the sh&t hits the fan), and who to obey if we're getting ready to screw the pooch.

By the way, Vinni is gonna join Seaworthy Lass in being insulted. Since she's 5 foot 5 inches tall and weigh in at 110 pounds- she's gonna really dislike bteing called fat. And since she only has 4500 employees working for her, she's generally able to discuss topics other than what was on TV last night.

Ya might wanna fall on your sword, walk the plank or whatever...........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 23:35   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Get 'em girl, Let's see, what other little rhyming dismissive terms could we use, "Noobs with boobs" perhaps. How about for the men then? "Dipsticks with p***ks". And for the gold chains, captains caps and deckshoe brigade, "Danglies with spanglies".
Coops.
Actually I think it would be beneath me to respond in kind to a comment like that.

I didn't know men like Captain Jeffry still existed. No wonder so few females want to be out here on the water if that is the attitude they encounter.

For once even my sense of humour has temporarily deserted me, but I am not about to start slinging insults.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 23:42   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Hopefully he just put it all wrong SL. If not, then i agree with you, but there are still a lot of chauvinists in every walk of life unfortunately. We have them come into the chandlery and if they see a lady staff member they ignore them or say that they will wait until a man comes free. Explaining to them that the said lady has sailed around most of the world probably makes them feel inadequate anyway and so still will not talk to them.

Coops.
Old 01-12-2012, 23:49   #143

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I like the " noobs with boobs" monicker. I'll try it out on Vinni and let you all know if I still have my cajones afterwards.

How about " winch fodder?"

Of course as women they automatically become railmeat, but they can be promoted to deck candy, if they wear the correct bikini ( less is more).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59   #144
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
OMG .

'Marge in charge'

That was a new one on me as well!

Seems a bit harsh (I had assumed it just meant a female boss).

Obviously the dual captain thing does work for some, but nonetheless I think an exception. Would be easy for dual control to become no control - just when needed most. and IMO certainly when unfamiliar crew are involved then certainty of command is important, even if in practice primarily to prevent arguments!

Although I previously suggested that High Heels take command for a specific voyage, I can see how the "who is on the helm rules" thing could also work, albeit my hestitation would be that when the second person appears on deck they assume control (if not immediately then soon enough) - which may lead to a situation where the second person is not called from below early doors, even though a second pair of hands / eyes and thoughts would be prudent sooner rather than later simply to avoid the "skipper" being relegated or feeling like they have failed or copped out......which may account for some feeling that the person already on the helm is best placed to retain command, as circumstances have already developed to preclude someone new on deck having time to weigh up events......

Anyways, sometimes I iz glad I have no wife .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32   #145

There are lots of women out there that are ready to share your dream and yes,
I agree one doesn't "learn" to be adventurous, one just is...
I think if you are seriously looking to find someone to sail with, the forums would be the first place, also at your ports of call... check out cruisersforum on crews available...
There are dating forums geared specifically at sailers - Page not found
My dreams to sail the world came from a sense somewhere between wanting to explore the world and wanting to pack the kitchen sink... 'Bin dere Dun dat' backpacking through African late 80's left much to be desired for travelling accommodations.
I have met tons of women ready to do the same... I think retirees in early 50's are a good place to start...
Good luck...the perfect woman/perfect sailor is out there.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:06   #146

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

I doubt Captain Jeffrey meant that 'Marge in Charge' comment to the letter of the definition...not to speak for him, but I have encountered a few woman who are Skippers that have taken on a demeanor of overcompensation and become overly brash and edgy because I imagine they feel that is what is necessary to be respected, and I can understand why they have compensated that way.

It just would be really nice to be able to be respected and seen for one's knowledge and experience taken for face value and not after all these walls of preconception are whittled away, and one has 'proven' themselves.

I have seen in this world of sailing that it seems men's abilities are assumed to be up to par unless their actions prove otherwise, while women's abilities are assumed not to be up to par until they prove otherwise in the other direction...such a strange phenomenon in my eyes...but I guess the reality is that for many years sailing has been a gentlemen's sport and is filled with tradition that has not always included women to a great extent...that is a reality that I think has colored some of the attitudes that still survive in some walks of the sport...

It is a reality that I have to accept, and one that reminds me that many are not that evolved from that which they are the product of...others have chosen to move on...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07   #147

Rail Meat… | LIQUIDITY
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Anyways, sometimes I iz glad I have no wife .
Ah, come on DOJ - marriage can be fun...I don't always share all of Chris' and my personal life with the world

Plus think of all the beautiful crayon drawings - I am making assumptions though maybe you have a SO who draws those now

Thanks for your input - and a reminder that to not take life so damn seriously...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24   #149

"Danglies with Spanglies" - that is Funny!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28   #150

I know several woman who are skippers and perfectly capable... except when it comes to physical strength these woman are simply not as strong as the typical male captain. On the other hand they cook better, look better and smell better.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote