Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-11-2012, 08:31   #61

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

From personal experience, asking crew (especially a spouse) to do something on a boat is fine. But a hard handed command is a recipe for trouble. If the loving, caring partner turns into a bellowing commander, the other will wonder where they stand in the relationship. It can be confusing for them. I think the both parties had a full understanding of sailing either one could do the job equally. With someone new to sailing, I would hope the could understand the slow process of learning. It takes healthy personalities to co-habitat on a sailboat.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 09:09   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
What I really want to say about my SO would bore the hell outta everyone, take 3 pages and probably jinx what is going on.

Although we dated for about 2 years my first marriage (early 20's) lasted about 6 weeks from church to filing. Completely fell apart from total lack of communication on life goals.

After 23 years my second marriage has been disolving for about 3 years (insert long boring divorce story here) although it should have been over at least 15 years ago except an awesome son came into the picture and I stayed through multiple infidelities on her part.

For those with an awesome boat and can't understand why they don't have an awesome mate I will just say you are still stuck in the high school paradigm of the guy with the best stuff gets the best chick. Often the best chick is not the best chick and it has nothing to do with stuff.

My partner is awesome. Whether I had a boat or not she would be there because I finally learned after 50 years it isn't about anything but compatibility and caring. I was very jaded on women 3 years ago and really committed to never again. It still may not work out forever but I think the alternative (giving up) is too sad.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 09:14   #63

Thumbs up Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

Sooo true......thanks Celestial !!!

It shows you have empathy which is essential in a relation specially in a new one
Old 18-11-2012, 09:15   #64

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Jimbo

Sounds like you have been in the sun too long and you've become delusional. You issue COMMANDS and she OBEYS??????????

ROTFLMFAO

Earth calling jimbo, earth calling jimbo
HaHa! Sure, and as mentioned subtly above, she issues commands too and I obey her as well. Her commands are more along the lines of, "We need more food, get the dinghy ready, we are going ashore." So I drop what Iīm doing and get the dinghy in the water asap.

Or, "I am having a shower today, there better be enough water in the tank", and I scurry off to check the tank and kick the watermaker into action.

Most of our commands are usually prefaced by "please, honey..." or something similar but neither of us are under the illusion that they are anything but commands and that each of us have our own little individual feifdom.

There is some overlap and crossover. For example, she is on watch and she wakes me up with a COMMAND to take in a reef. Or when she is on the foredeck looking out for coral bombies and COMMANDS me to steer to starboard. They are all commands and, even though we can replace each other with 98% of the duties, we each have our areas of expertise and basic preferences that have developed over two cruising boats and 13 years together.

The 2% where we canīt replace each other? Well, she still flatly refuses to learn how to use the sextant, feisty Latin American that she is. But if the GPS system collapses and I fall overboard at the same time, our kid can do it now, so thatīs ok.

All the human relationship fun and games get even better across the different cultures and on a boat!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 10:02   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
What I really want to say about my SO would bore the hell outta everyone, take 3 pages and probably jinx what is going on.

Although we dated for about 2 years my first marriage (early 20's) lasted about 6 weeks from church to filing. Completely fell apart from total lack of communication on life goals.

After 23 years my second marriage has been disolving for about 3 years (insert long boring divorce story here) although it should have been over at least 15 years ago except an awesome son came into the picture and I stayed through multiple infidelities on her part.

For those with an awesome boat and can't understand why they don't have an awesome mate I will just say you are still stuck in the high school paradigm of the guy with the best stuff gets the best chick. Often the best chick is not the best chick and it has nothing to do with stuff.

My partner is awesome. Whether I had a boat or not she would be there because I finally learned after 50 years it isn't about anything but compatibility and caring. I was very jaded on women 3 years ago and really committed to never again. It still may not work out forever but I think the alternative (giving up) is too sad.
My story was somewhat the same. Infidelity is painful. I feel for you and had a good yuk as to the length of your first marriage. My first was 10 years off and on but after the first 30 days, sat on the porch wondering why I did it. Then my son came along and I stuck it out way too long.
This new relationship, we have great communication and like you say, she could care less about material possessions. Very uncommon these days. My GF and I have the common ability to communicate deeply and that is when the caring for one another comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribicjewel View Post
Sooo true......thanks Celestial !!!

It shows you have empathy which is essential in a relation specially in a new one
Well I know you have empathy since you are the GF...lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 20-11-2012, 10:37   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well ladies,

After six pages of posts you now know what you have to live up to.......

For the sake of enlightening us caveman types, why doesn't one of you georgeous creatures start a thread named

What makes a perfect boat man ......perfect?

I may regret this
Old 20-11-2012, 10:43   #67

Quote:
Well ladies,

For the sake of enlightening us caveman types, why doesn't one of you georgeous creatures start a thread named

I may regret this
Oh god!!!!!.....please don't. I don't want to read about actually "listening" to what you say, and "caring" about your feelings. Blah.

Sorry.......J/K.........

James L
Old 20-11-2012, 10:47   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I did say we were caveman types. No touchy feely wimps around here
Old 20-11-2012, 11:16   #69
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Well ladies,

I may regret this
We have done this topic in the past, I know as I started it! From the past "what do women want" and "what do men want" the answer pretty much is that each wants the same things and the trick is that the couple needs to be a matched set!
Old 20-11-2012, 11:23   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
Oh god!!!!!.....please don't. I don't want to read about actually "listening" to what you say, and "caring" about your feelings. .....
Touchy feely sentiments? Stuff that . What on earth makes you think that is what women want? You men have got it completely wrong.

The perfect boat man is positive, enthusiastic and loves the idea of sailing around with no real destination in mind. Someone with superb physique who looks great in both a tux or in sailing foulies. Someone who is adventurous, has an enormous appetite for living. Someone I can turn the helm over to so I can get a few hours of sleep, who works well as a team, is a competent sailor, has complementary skills to mine, and of course last but certainly not least is well endowed and good in bed.....

Hmmmmm, anything sounding familiar?

PS Yes, such men do exist. I'm lucky enough to have found one
Old 20-11-2012, 11:30   #71
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Oh...my...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:34   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Touchy feely sentiments? Stuff that. What on earth makes you think that is what women want?

The perfect boat man is positive, enthusiastic and loves the idea of sailing around with no real destination in mind. Someone with superb physique who looks great in both a tux or in sailing foulies. Someone who is adventurous, has an enormous appetite for living. Someone I can turn the helm over to so I can get a few hours of sleep, who works well as a team, is a competent sailor, has complementary skills to mine, and of course last but certainly not least is well endowed and good in bed.....

Hmmmmm, anything sounding familiar?

PS Yes, such men do exist. I'm lucky enough to have found one
Well considering I was kidding......

I figured the main statement was true. But the last sentence of the main paragraph applies to all the males here. Don't believe me? Jusk ask.

James L
Old 20-11-2012, 11:52   #73

OMG!!!

Old 20-11-2012, 11:57   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, most women say I look like sean connery when he was in his fifties...............

Eat your heart out guys
Old 20-11-2012, 11:57   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
OMG!!!
Will, someone here did ask LOL. Aussies will give it to you straight

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: