Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 14:45   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: "What make the perfect boat woman...perfect"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Now I know the answer my daughter always gives me "men are always suppose to be listening in case a women speaks"!
Reminds me of what I heard years ago. If a man is alone in the forest and speaks...Is he still wrong?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:58   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

My problem is the 1st mate started it all, by buying a Catalina 30 when I was away on a business trip.

I was pissed when I got back and she told me. For god sakes I hate sailing and well, we do not know how to sail.

It all worked out. She drags me down to the boat for weeks at a time and makes me Captain her ask all around to islands of her choosing. She makes me sit in the cockpit and drink a glass of wine with her and watch the sun set. Its just the worst. I really hate being treated like this. Some day when I am not so "P" wipped I will give her a piece of my mind and and and stand up for my self.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7020103.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	49707  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:49   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The perfect boat woman has enough money to buy you your perfect boat LOL

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 23:02   #19

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor

Reminds me of what I heard years ago. If a man is alone in the forest and speaks...Is he still wrong?
Lololol
Old 15-11-2012, 01:31   #20

Boat: 45ft Ketch

If she wants to look after you and you want to look after her you might be onto something. The perfect woman would probably be better off without you.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 05:30   #21

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I always wonder why in these discussions it is assumed that men and women want different things as far as boating and sailing go!

Don't you just look for a person who has the same likes and interests as you do in a life partner?

I started a thread years ago about "What do women want" far as a boat. It turned out they wanted the same things on the boat that I wanted!

I guess the only women related thing on my boat that I would like is one that talked less or at least warned me when I was suppose to be listening for real! But that really isn't a boat related thing is it?
I'm with you. The perfect boat shiela, is different from the perfect boat bloke in so far only as the dangly bits are concerned.

If you can't find a good boating partner, you can't find a good partner of any sort. Lots of women find they like sailing, by the same way as blokes make the same discovery...they go sailing.

But.....personal differences are not exclusive to sailing. Try golf, bowling, drag racing, knitting, sitting at a favourite al fresco cafe watching the members of the opposing gender making their way to work......

As they say in the classics...one man's meat is another man's poison. My advice: fall in love with someone who you truly love...everything else is of little consequence and you will either sail together or you won't...No big deal!
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 06:22   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
If she wants to look after you and you want to look after her you might be onto something. The perfect woman would probably be better off without you.
This is the case with us. When you find a person you really resonate with, you want to be there for them and if you're lucky, vise versa. This person I've met, is very independent (but with traditional values) and has been for a long time. One thing I have learned in the area of relationships is everything is a lot healthier when the two people want to be with one another and not need to be with one another.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 06:28   #23

No such thing. Like boats, themselves, it's all about compromise,,

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 06:34   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

am a perfect woman and i have a perfect boat....rodlmao

problem is.......there are no perfect men to join me in this effort, as they all want their own boat and their own .....they so dont wanna share. just my humble observaton over many years' time.....
.i have had since 1990 to presume this ..
i kinda gave up on you guys.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 06:56   #25

This is yet another silly thread... Perfect match is very elusive and when sailing/cruising full time it get's even hard to find. Zee has a great point and I have a story. Years ago sailing single and single handed I had met a couple of German girls in St Marten who wanted to sail around the Islands. Couldn't resist that one... They were just on vacation and not sailing girls.

In we sailed to English Harbor... I came along side the Slipway dock for water and or fuel... The 2 German girls sat on the deck... lookng... well you can imagine. I left them there and took the dink to cleat in at the Dockyard a few hundred feet away. On the line a brunette came up to me and struck up a conversation... Oh My!... She said she watched dock the boat without the help of the 2 girls... what's up with that? I told her they were passengers... not sailors... to which she replied something to the effect... that you seem to know what your doing. Oh thanks I replied... noting her Scandinavian accent. Silence...

Do you think you could help me sailing my boat to the Canary Islands.... she blurted out. Ha? You have a boat and you want me to help you sail it to the Canaries? Yea... I need someone like you.. someone who knows how to handle a boat (and two women at the same time???).

Well, my name is J and what's yours and why can't you sail it yourself or ... how did you sail it here in the first place? She pointed to a lovely 36' yacht on a med moor just in front of us. My ex and I shared the boat and he sailed it here and it's my time and I want to sail it back to the Canaries where I live... and we'll keep the boat there. But he's working and can't.

hmmmm We'll... I don't think I can do this as I have my own boat... as you see. But let's have a dinner and let me see if I can help you with your plans.

Long story short... we sailed Shiva for a few months in Caribe.... I set up her boat for the crossing and got a captain for her. Lovely lady who loved being on boats... could tie knots... but that's about it. Kind of a few notches up from the German girls... bit not captain material... but she would be fine as boat mate partner... Her name was Rigmor... I called her Rig... and I suppose should could be considered by many to be the perfect sailing lady mate. She did come with a 17 yrs old daughter who was back in the Canaries (mom leaves 17 yrs old daughter alone???) Red flag... Yea she had problems... I saw when I visited her in the Canaries.

I know other sailor gals.... one who need me to sail her boat to the Caribean... But that was prudent.... Single handing for a gal can be too taxing...

Who knows?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 07:01   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i also have the perfect cat......lol...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 08:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Confident soloer- I think that is a rare breed in man or woman. This person would always be welcome on my boat. Someone I can turn the helm over to so I can get a few hours of sleep, which is sometimes not an easy thing to do up here.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 09:04   #28

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

The perfect cruising gal/partner is really a moving target. As we age our priorities change, and sometimes the perfect partner becomes something else altogether, based on no fault of theirs or yours, just time.

Case in point... A adventerous young man meets the perfect adventerous gal and they marry, raise kids, etc... during that time they continue to explore and grow, abet with the confines that raising a family, careers, etc... impose.

The kids move out, retirement years are around the corner, and the guy starts thinking about new places to explore, and the new adventures that await, now that physical freedom is near, and financial freedom is in sight.

The problem is that during this time his lovely mate has matured, and lost that adventerous spirit. She is now happy with a peaceful life where there are no real suprises, or the trials and tribulations that come with adventure. She has built a life she's happy with, and doesn't want to explore.

The situation described is not her fault, she is just leading her life. It is not his fault, he is just leading his life. They both only get this one little life.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 09:42   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

When Wonderblond and I got hitched, the whole point was to share each other's adventures for a lifetime. We've logged thousands of scuba dives together, and at least a thousand days sailing. We lived together on a boat for more than a decade. Part of that adventure has been to support each other in our careers. I worked while she attended grad school, and then she worked while I did.

We haven't done everything together: she passed when it came to sailboat racing; I gave up rock climbing long before she did. Even after 35 years of marriage, she can't get me to join her jogging, and I can't get her to sit still for more than an hour of birding at any given time.

Part of the reason we love sailing together is that we work it as a team. There's absolutely no captain/1st mate relationship. If either one of us wants to reef, we reef. Much of the time we let the autopilot do the work and both end up reading. A great life. If the sails need trimming, sooner or later one of us will get around to it.

In my experience, a lot of the fellows who complain about being unable to recruit sailing partners aren't really looking for partners. They're looking for crew. I understand why women fail to get excited about such a prospect. There's nothing exciting about perpetual subservience.
Old 15-11-2012, 10:38   #30

Boat: Looking...

Definition of insanity - doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result.

Unfortunately, some folks approach relationships this way...

Enjoying the thread....

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote