Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 04:22   #841
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Churchlady.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33   #842

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
My husband and I were talking about this just last night. Still die hard wannabes. For the longest time I suffered from major depression. I had no dreams, my life was void of any hope. As I got better slowly I started working on my bucket list as I felt I had been given a new lease on life. I have run two marathons, gotten a black belt in Tae kwon do, moved overseas, and finally I will own a boat and sail where I want to go. Time and money are the factors. I have four years until the youngest graduates high school and the oldes college. Less worried about college than I am about HS. Being a wanna be is not a bad thing. It means I have the ability to dream again.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Thank you for sharing your story. Glad you are on the mend!
Old 05-04-2015, 20:15   #843
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Churchlady.
Hello Gordmay. Thank you for the welcome but that really should be done in my introduction thread, not here. I certainly don't want to drift this thread so let's stay on topic and remain wannabes!

Are you out doing it?
Churchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 21:07   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchlady View Post
Hello Gordmay. Thank you for the welcome but that really should be done in my introduction thread, not here. I certainly don't want to drift this thread so let's stay on topic and remain wannabes!

Are you out doing it?
Old 05-04-2015, 22:05   #845

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well isn't that special.

Churchlady is on a fieldtrip.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:26   #846
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

Are you out doing it?
weeelll,actually Gord is a computer generated algorthym,the real gord we had stuffed after his 15,000 post...............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:40   #847
CLOD

Boat: none

Maybe we now know what happens to new wannabes. They make a wrong post and learn to not post again
Old 06-04-2015, 13:55   #848

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:

Are you out doing it?
Seriously.......??? I had no idea there was such a thing as an inappropriate place to extend someone a warm welcome.
Old 06-04-2015, 14:46   #849

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Seriously.......??? I had no idea there was such a thing as an inappropriate place to extend someone a warm welcome.
Wifey B: Yes, there is Becky...so don't you do it again, Gordmay...oh and welcome, Becky....and welcome Gord. Welcome everyone. I do hope everyone is doing well. Actual or wannabe, you're welcome.

I guess not a very welcoming church. We went to a sunrise service in Jamaica yesterday and they were very welcoming.

The made me do it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:50   #850
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Wannabes.....how about the Hasbeens...what happens to them?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 15:14   #851

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Wifey B: Yesterday's news?

To me it doesn't matter. Someone wants to talk boats or cruising, fine. Then some get tired of talking about it, some get tired of doing it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 15:46   #852

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
They become moderators on CF
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:33   #853

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Some continue to follow along with the latest posts anyway, wishing the reasons they can no longer go/do it/manage it, etc. would disappear, knowing they won't.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:57   #854

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Well I didn't make it to Hawaii, but I did find out what's at the top of my list for reasons I will become a wanna be. Seasickness! I started feeling it the first day out of the Golden Gate. My next attempt will definitely include a bundle of Dramamine. I made it two days out and 300 miles off shore. The incidents started pretty early.

1: The major problem was seasickness. This was a big deal. I couldn't eat, nor function very well. I threw up the first day, but managed to keep some food down the second day. I still wasn't enjoying myself. But continued. My reasoning became that if I throw up again I should probably turn around because I can't do much with out energy and it would only get worse.

2: I was caught on a fishing buoy and line less than 10 miles from the bridge. This wasn't a big deal but a definite pain to think about when not feeling well. Hanging off the back of the boat with a boathook was only going to make it worse. The buoy and line eventually cleared when the length of line ran out.

3: The final straw came the second night when three tankers were approaching, all heading west. All of them showed up on my AIS screen and one was headed straight for me, 4 miles east. There was no wind, the night was calm and clear. I figured I would fire up the Yanmar and slowly motor out of its way. Engine cranked, put it in gear and it stalled, tried again, same result. I got the tanker on the radio and told him about my situation. He was able to see me and divert his course. I went to sleep and waited for wind, it never came. The morning came and brought light. I looked aft and saw a line trailing my craft. I looked over and could see it was a large net of some sort. I'm still not sure where this net came from, but it was there and I decided then that this was not my time to make it to Hawaii. I escape the first hang up cleanly, so this second hangup must have been picked up later. I threw on the wet suite and jumped in with my knife. I took a breath and tucked under. The water was so clear and the colors were amazing! I swam to the prop and could see that it was tangled but loosely. I removed the net in two location (without needing the knife) and it was free. I came up for air and climbed out. I started the engine and put her in gear, Enchantress moved forward. I set a course for California and I immediately felt better. A crisp breeze came from the southwest and the seas were following the whole way back. I still dont know why I felt so much better on the way back, but the moment I decided to return I wasn't seasick anymore. Maybe it was the different motion of the boat or maybe it was all in my mind. There was definitely more wind and rocking on the way back with the following seas, but maybe my body handles that motion better than a beam reach which I had going out.

Anyway, I arrived at SLO bay and stay for a week, and then slowly made my way down to Ventura where I found a slip. The dolphins were very welcoming on the way in, which was only an introduction to how nice Ventura is, definitely the folks in the harbor. All in all the journey was a great treat and I've learn a fair amount. Ill lay low for another year or two and do some trips to the channel islands, while keeping my mind set on another attempt further west.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:35   #855

theway, Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons without things going horribly wrong.

The sea seems to be a great teacher, and you can learn the hard way at great expense, or learn to not fight it and learn the same lesson safely. I'm a big believer in trusting your gut, and it seemed to be speaking to you loud and clear.

I recently read (am reading Lin and Larry Pardey's books - can't recommend them enough) that you should never tell people where you are going as it only sets you up for failure if you change your plans, or have your plans changed for you. Sailboats, apparently, have destinations, not schedules to keep. So take things easy, let the seas lead you.

MG