Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 23:15   #166

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

I was a Wannaby motorhome live-aboard having been a weekend motorhomer for 16 years. Instead had a sudden brain switch and became a ketch owner/live-aboard. Loving it. Will do some NZ coastal cruising this summer.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 00:30   #167

Boat: too many

And it should read "UK based delivery captain aids and abets" right?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 00:34   #168

Boat: Moody 425

I was a wannabe.

I joined my first sailing forum 10 years ago at the age of 21 after reading Robin Lee Graham's Dove declaring to all that I wanted to sail around the world.

I didn't have a clue how to do it but I did however get sailing lessons that year and bought a little boat. I took my girlfriend on romantic sails that nearly ended in disaster, or at the very least with both of us cold and wet and covered in 2 stroke. I actually couldn't figure out how to tack the boat properly and learn't what weatherhelm mean't from a forum.

I am now on the third boat( a proper cruisey one), my girlfriend is now my wife and we learn a LOT from this site.

We took most of last year off from the rat race and finally did some 'proper' extended cruising.
We loved it, but we could of become wannabe's several times. Our first passage was ill planned( by me) and aborted( by her) in bad weather with my wife terribly seasick.
Over a cup of tea back at anchor we had the wannabee conversation. A year of preparation, hours reading forums and magazines, jobs left, house sold we thought about turning around 3 nm into it and motoring home. We would of been the world's biggest wannabes.

'People go cruising sure, capable outdoor people who are a cross between Tarzan and Popeye. Retired people with lots of money on big shiny boats, and ex racing people who have been sailing forever. But are we really cruisers??'
We got up the next morning had some porridge and decided to give it another go. The weather was calmer, the skipper likewise, we headed out the bay and didn't look back. At any gathering of cruisers we still feel like maybe at any point in time the charade may be up, and someone will go " hey isn't that the guy from the internet who didn't know how to tack?'

Now RTW??? Well. I am not sure if I am as obsessed by the idea of sailing around the world anymore, but I do want to go cruising again. Further and for much much longer. We will go cruising again, soon, and will continue to get out there in whatever form or way we can.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 00:52   #169

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_andy View Post
Very good time for this post from my perspective. I joined this forum last year and will say that the information I found here and the few people I have asked for more information were more than helpful. I thank-you all for sharing your insight. I have not posted myself as I don't believe I have the knowledge to do so yet. But if it is an update you are looking for... When we started our journey into the cruising lifestyle, we new very little and did not own a boat. It was but a dream. I am happy to report that I am writing this from the salon of my new boat as we sit in Stamford CT. Tomorrow evening we leave to bring her home under sail to Halifax NS. 4 to 6 days if all goes well. I will continue to read your insights and who knows, maybe one of these days I will be able to answer some questions asked on here instead of just saying "I was wondering that too". Thanks all. Just remember that silence is not always a sign that nobody is listening.
Hi Andy

If I get Atoll right, he just wants to hear from people who join CF with their dreams. It isn't about what you know, you can post about anything here, your life changes matter to others because, like it or not, you chose to be part of the forum. Talk about you, it's fine. How about you start another thread and talk about the passage to Halifax? Again, if I got it right, that applies to all wannabes or ex-wannabes. If not, forgive me.
Old 25-09-2012, 03:38   #170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
And it should read "UK based delivery captain aids and abets" right?
hey! using that premise he also used a car for his gettaway,so i guess his driving instructor is culpable as well............

lots of people also own guns as well,but not that many go out and shoot innocents.

in hindsight,reviewing his posts the person in question had made the decision to steal a boat long before he joined cf,picking the brains of the members here,only augmented that decision
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 03:53   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Hi Andy

If I get Atoll right, he just wants to hear from people who join CF with their dreams. It isn't about what you know, you can post about anything here, your life changes matter to others because, like it or not, you chose to be part of the forum. Talk about you, it's fine. How about you start another thread and talk about the passage to Halifax? Again, if I got it right, that applies to all wannabes or ex-wannabes. If not, forgive me.
it is great to hear from anybody with "real life stories",sometimes it is easy to lose perspective on a project if only "variables of equipment " and other anecdotal topics are discussed on the forum.

stuff like this thread imho,keeps it fresh and interesting!
thanks for posting
Old 26-09-2012, 06:11   #172

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Hi Andy

Yeah well, I joined CF with my dreams, but there ain't much left of them now. It not CF's fault just the state of the boating business over here in Metropolitan NSW Australia. For instance, I am having some insurance work done on my bow. When the stainless contractor set the bowsprit marginally lower the old forstay, which had to be cut shorter due a twist, did not fit, so I offered to cover the cost of a new wire. The rigger said it would cost around $70.

So yesterday I got a bill for $482; $82 for the wire and $400 for fitting. No matter what happened, under the insurance they had to fit the wire and go up the mast anyway. Talk about a pack of double dipping thieving mongrels!

I was even left to adjust the rigging myself. After they had secured top dollar from the insurance company how lucky was I for the rigger to have left me a hand full of split pins? Hey have I got "wannabe sucker" tattooed to my forehead or what?

Then again if anyone tells you boatyards in Sydney are a ripoff believe them. Likewise, when you are faced with such predatory boating businesses, yachting just ain't the relaxing dream you might have been expecting! No wonder so many give up and put their money pits up for sale?
Old 26-09-2012, 06:46   #173

well...
I was closing in on my goal of 10,000 for the boat that I was going to live on while learning the ropes.
2008 came along and took care of all that.
My boss had to declare bankruptcy and I blew through all my savings trying to stay where I was in the fla panhandle because I thought the economy was going to come back soon...LOL!!!
Now I am 52 and starting from scratch again which is no easy task these days.
No sob story here as I realize there are many far worse off than me but it was a heart breaker to be so close and now so far from the dream.
I haven't given up yet but am faced with the harsh reality that I am no longer a young man and that the dream is fading faster with each passing year.
Oh well....as the old saying goes...you can't hide from the wind. you trim your sails and keep going...
tbc0460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 02:01   #174

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Hey I must have "wannabe" tattooed to my forehead. I returned a $70 LED bulb for my nav lights today as 2 of the LEDs weren't working when I first installed it on the day of purchase two days ago.

So I get back with the replacement bulb and guess what, the same two LEDs still are not working. Maybe he just saw the tattoo and knew it was cool to give me the same bulb back again?
Old 27-09-2012, 02:11   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Hey I must have "wannabe" tattooed to my forehead. I returned a $70 LED bulb for my nav lights today as 2 of the LEDs weren't working when I first installed it on the day of purchase two days ago.

So I get back with the replacement bulb and guess what, the same two LEDs still are not working. Maybe he just saw the tattoo and knew it was cool to give me the same bulb back again?

might want to check the circuit/contacts are working properly... before going back and abusing the vendor for selling duff stuff.....very embarresing if they plug it in and it works!
Old 27-09-2012, 03:06   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
me has around 7000 posts. and I have done next to SFA .
yeah! but you are sooooooo good at it
Old 27-09-2012, 03:06   #177

Boat: Moody 425

I have posted 65 times in 3 years, BUT

I can't type,

I find I learn far more by reading what other people who know what they are talking about have written than typing,

and one of these moved on the boat

chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 03:16   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
I have posted 65 times in 3 years, BUT

I can't type,

I find I learn far more by reading what other people who know what they are talking about have written than typing,

and one of these moved on the boat

nice !

which reminds me i run a taxi service as well!....mom and dads private......
Old 27-09-2012, 03:26   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

will check on your progress next year!

good luck tony!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1045410
Old 27-09-2012, 04:12   #180

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

What happens to all the wannabees?

Very few cross the line...sad.

The rest transform into experts and advise new wannabees. ;>)

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote