Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 19:54   #1036
Registered User
 
jclester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Port Royal, SC
Boat: MS Fisher 30
Posts: 19
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

So I'll bite! I'm a 66 yo wannabe who's never sailed, haven't even stepped on a sailboat. So here's my story;

There is ONE family situation that my put my current plan on hold, maybe indefinitely. But other than that, here goes.

Step 1: Move to the Clear Lake region.
Step 2: Find a small short term apartment and shop for boats. Have already been in contact with brokers, surveyors, insurance companies, etc
Step 3: Buy a 36-40' sailboat
Step 4: Work on the priority issues, actually take some sailing lessons and/or spend time with "new" friends to become familiar of the overall skills/requirements.
Step 5: Improve on the boat to accommodate my wife of 45 years physical requirements.
Step 6: Help her to gradually enjoy the pleasures of boating (freedom).
Step 7: Start taking short cruises along the coast between New Orleans and Mexico etc.

That may take 2 years or my last 20, don't care. It's the journey and not the destination. Took me way too long to learn that lesson.

When all of the about happens (and assuming I'm still alive) well just maybe............................................. ........................................

Once I get the boat I'll keep you posted.
__________________

jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 21:07   #1037
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Melbourne Victoria
Boat: 26ft TS
Posts: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

We are no longer a wannabes, we have just bought our first yacht, a 26ft T.S to dip our big toes into the world of sailing. Sure glad we didn't wait any longer or go any bigger, 26ft is plenty of boat to learn how to do everything wrong.
We have a 7 day cruise planned end of March, this should confirm if this is what we really want to do as a lifestyle and if it goes pear shaped the investment in terms of financial and time was small and we can at least say we gave it a good shot.
__________________

JayandKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 15:21   #1038
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat - FOR SALE (sniff)
Posts: 6,979
Images: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
So I'll bite! I'm a 66 yo wannabe who's never sailed, haven't even stepped on a sailboat. So here's my story;

There is ONE family situation that my put my current plan on hold, maybe indefinitely. But other than that, here goes.

Step 1: Move to the Clear Lake region.
Step 2: Find a small short term apartment and shop for boats. Have already been in contact with brokers, surveyors, insurance companies, etc
Step 3: Buy a 36-40' sailboat
Step 4: Work on the priority issues, actually take some sailing lessons and/or spend time with "new" friends to become familiar of the overall skills/requirements.
Step 5: Improve on the boat to accommodate my wife of 45 years physical requirements.
Step 6: Help her to gradually enjoy the pleasures of boating (freedom).
Step 7: Start taking short cruises along the coast between New Orleans and Mexico etc.

That may take 2 years or my last 20, don't care. It's the journey and not the destination. Took me way too long to learn that lesson.

When all of the about happens (and assuming I'm still alive) well just maybe............................................. ........................................

Once I get the boat I'll keep you posted.
That is a pretty big bite. Hope you can swallow it.

Suggest. charter, lessons and sail some with others before chomping down.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 20:35   #1039
Registered User
 
jclester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Port Royal, SC
Boat: MS Fisher 30
Posts: 19
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is a pretty big bite. Hope you can swallow it.

Suggest. charter, lessons and sail some with others before chomping down.
Good suggestion and part of the plan. Have some time to narrow down the style of boat and type of rigging. I live in SoCal so plan on hitting the boatyards and marinas before heading out this July.

True, BIG bite. But I've pretty much subscribed to the idea if you can't run with the big dogs then don't get off the porch. I'm crazy, not stupid :-) Age and time waits for no man so I know I'll have to reign it in some but...........
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:15   #1040
Registered User
 
Capt JJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Key West Fl
Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig
Posts: 36
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Pretty negative thread, sounds like atypical day at marathon marina tiki circa 2016
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 16:37   #1041
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 11
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

I am a wannabee! We have a few-year plan ahead of us, and will likely never reach full-time cruising status, but I have every intention of growing into a boat that I can spend most of the summers on.

The challenges - young with incredible student debt, sailing season in New England that really only lasts from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and my wife and I both work jobs that put us on-call regularly.

Still, this year we are doing ASA's 101-104 and joining a sailing club that lets us take their boats out all summer. Next year, we hope to charter for vacation. After that I expect we are in business!
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:22   #1042
Registered User
 
ScubaTyke's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Olympic Sea 42
Posts: 33
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

This wannabee is getting very close to shedding that tag, casting off the lines at the end of next month and looking forward to the learning curve. Appreciate all of the helpful posters on here.
ScubaTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 13:27   #1043
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 2,092
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

... finally back on board...
__________________
Lagoon 400S2 refit for cruising: LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 11:51   #1044
Registered User

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quick question....intend to buy a 34 foot yacht French Polynesia way,question can I survive on say 1300 US dollars per month solo sailer no marinas,boat is 20 years old and good condition
Thanks in advance
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 12:29   #1045
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 1,221
Images: 5
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Quick question....intend to buy a 34 foot yacht French Polynesia way,question can I survive on say 1300 US dollars per month solo sailer no marinas,boat is 20 years old and good condition
Thanks in advance
Do you like to fish and dive and eat fish every day?

Do you know engine repair?

Do you need health insurance?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:53   #1046
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians
I am new here. Queried "Learning Plan" and this was the first thread. Such a warm welcome.
CaptainH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:00   #1047
Registered User
 
Buzzman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Boat: Still building
Posts: 735
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

It's probably intended to help deter dreamers - like some of those who posted immediately above...

...but having said that, look further afield on CF.

Everything you could possibly want to know has been discussed, and usually in depth.

Seek and ye shall find!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:23   #1048
Registered User
 
jclester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Port Royal, SC
Boat: MS Fisher 30
Posts: 19
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

So pulled the trigger on a Fisher 30MS, leave SoCal in July and pick the boat up in SC. Plan on 6-12 mo getting us (me) and the boat up to speed. Spend a little time in the ICW learning the boat, tides, currents etc then to FL and Bahamas. That's the initial plan. Phase II, bigger boat or fit out the Fisher the way we'd want. Exit plan.......sell or sail.

Fisher wasn't even close to what I initially wanted or thought we needed, I think the boat found us...........is that even possible? We'll stick out like a sore thumb almost everywhere we're planning on going
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:29   #1049
Registered User
 
jclester's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Port Royal, SC
Boat: MS Fisher 30
Posts: 19
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainH View Post
I am new here. Queried "Learning Plan" and this was the first thread. Such a warm welcome.
I hear ya! Fortunately I'm free of the "good opinion" of others.
Don't really care what people think, but just to be fair....I don't expect them to care for what I think. Makes it easy to find the adults in a crowd
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 21:20   #1050
Registered User
 
Mr B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 2,042
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
I hear ya! Fortunately I'm free of the "good opinion" of others.
Don't really care what people think, but just to be fair....I don't expect them to care for what I think. Makes it easy to find the adults in a crowd
I couldnt sail to save myself, Bought this one in Fiji, And promptly retired on it, Identical boat also with all the bells and whistles for the same price was in San Diego, But 12000 miles was a bit far for my first ocean voyage, So I did the Fiji one instead, 2000 miles I could manage on my own,
Plan B was to drive it home on the diesel if I couldnt sail it,

six weeks later I sailed it to Australia, Single handed, Crash course in Sailing,
I knew enough to get me home,
Couple of months and it will be back in the water again, fully repaired,
I also dont care what people think, Never have,
We were all learners once,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat piccy 27-3-2019 002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	192005  
__________________

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.