Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 00:04   #1021

Boat: Morgan 41 oi
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Hello I joined a couple weeks ago. Spent the last year and a half reading and searching was always told you learn more listening than talking. I bought a 71 Morgan 41 oi sloop 2 weeks ago in LA. I know they don't point well and trust me there are a lot of things that need replaced repaired and a dumpster full of stuff to pitch. From reading on here most people that are 1st time posters here are no where near realistic and have done 0 research on the subject. I figured with the boat I bought and the shape it is in it will take a couple years to get refitted the way I want it so I'm figuring on 6 to 8 years lol . The surrveyer said it would cost about $15000 to get it ready to go I am figuring on $60000. I know by the time I'm ready I will have more $ in the boat than its worth but in the end who doesn't. There is a lot of good advise on here but some need to realize boating and life varies quite a bit depending on the person. If I want a 10000 ah battery bank you can bet I'm going to have it.

Bryan
mack2465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:32   #1022

Boat: MacGregor 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
Life aboard a sailboat, no matter what size, comes with some serious life changing decisions.

You will not be able to have "stuff". It will clutter up the boat and in many situations it will be rendered useless. (A TV will seriously drain your battery for example).

Laundry will probably be done in the cockpit with seawater and hung out to dry on lifelines. Forget appliances like a dishwasher or dryer. The stove may stop working if you end up in a place where fuel isn't nearby. Prepare to buy food that does not spoil, even if your boat comes with a fridge.

You will need to bring tools and your own personal ingenuity. Things break, bend, and on the water you're going to just have to figure it out. Living aboard without tools is like going out into the snow without warm clothing. Be like the Boy Scouts say, "be prepared". And by being prepared, I mean everything, from a first aid kit to tools and an inverter. If something goes wrong, you're screwed; and even if you make it to a port with facilities, you're still going to need the tools and you can't take your car on the boat with you to go buy some - even if you have the money.

Camping. Yes, you are camping. You will not have the comforts of a furnace, appliances, hot water, constant electricity. Bring battery operated lanterns for when the battery dies. Bring or plan for some place to take a shower. Even if your boat has a hot water system it will seriously drain your battery. Depending on your fuel stores, you may be able to take a warm sponge bath.

Unless you plan on living at a marina, all the above apply. Living aboard at a marina is fine as long as the marina allows it.

Sundrarily:

You will meet some great people. You will also meet some complete SOBs. Maritime life is filled with SOBs and shady operators when you are in trouble. Tow operators, mechanics, parts, all of it add a zero to the price of everything. If you are gunkholing beware of NIMBYs that will screw with your boat, no matter how wealthy or poor they are. I've read accounts of idiots stealing boats that they had no clue how to pilot. People cutting lines, pulling your anchor, etc. Of course you want to leave the boat sometimes and so you should. But a boat unattended is a boat undefended, and good luck calling the police due to maritime laws in your area.

Learn ways to prepare food at sea. There is a book called "10,000 miles", that has a lot of good tips and tricks, right down to how to make an egg last 3-4 months without refridgeration. If you are planning on going really far out, bring an axe so you can cook food over a campfire if you are running low on fuel with your stove.

Moral of my story, you can never be too prepared. That sail that was perfect when you left the dock might become very unperfect in an unexpected blow. Sail tape? Helps. Extra sails? Even better. Bolt cutters - bring them in case you are demasted so your boat isn't destroyed.

Talk to sailors who have done what you plan you are doing, extensively.

Don't worry about the money. Money makes the world go round, but you can usually find some work at any government port, even if it's for minimum wage, or wangle some sort of business opportunity. Remote communities always need people to do things (hence having the tools for your boat helps) so focus on being prepared rather than the budget.

Who knows, you may end up working in a restaurant for a month or two while blue water sailing. Nothing wrong with that if it gets you to the next destination and buys you some more food stores.

Sounds absolutely perfect. [emoji41]
harbourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:36   #1023

As one of those wannabes I can attest that it is hard to untie and go cruising. The kid in me is ready but the logic says I'm not ready, financially or experience wise.Not bad off financially but think I need more for my plans. Am planning to sail my 31 southern Cross from Port Aransas to Rio dulce in April/may this yr. Travelled a lot on land, little scary the prospect of doing it by sea. Im lucky as I have a mentor that has circumnavigated solo, but I. see why people struggle leaving.
aussierob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:57   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierob View Post
As one of those wannabes I can attest that it is hard to untie and go cruising. The kid in me is ready but the logic says I'm not ready, financially or experience wise.Not bad off financially but think I need more for my plans. Am planning to sail my 31 southern Cross from Port Aransas to Rio dulce in April/may this yr. Travelled a lot on land, little scary the prospect of doing it by sea. Im lucky as I have a mentor that has circumnavigated solo, but I. see why people struggle leaving.
There certainly is, and should be, a "lot" to think about.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:17   #1025
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierob View Post
leaving is the hardest bit!
after that it gets easier,learning curve is intensive,but not insurmountable with a reasonably seaworthy boat , moderate funds,common sense and a few basic hand tools for repairs
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 05:23   #1026
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 08:39   #1027

We've just arrived in St Lucia, having crossed from Las Palmas with the ARC. We're about 6000nm and almost 6 months in to our year off sailing.

We have spent considerably more than we originally budgeted for, though much of that recently was preparing for the crossing. We replaced standing rigging, added inner forestay, storm jib, drogue, and a load of other safety gear.

A lot of our earlier costs (while in the Med) were due to our schedule - we wanted to pack as much in as possible so we would be more likely to motor instead of waiting for more favourable wind, and stayed in marinas more than we'd planned.

Now we're in the Caribbean we have no fixed schedule so we're expecting our running costs to drop considerably.

As for experience I think we're definitely getting there
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:50   #1028

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

They buy boats Atoll... They buy boats...

Right then, now I can start trash talking wannabes...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:20   #1029
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
They buy boats Atoll... They buy boats...

Right then, now I can start trash talking wannabes...
good well thought out answer to a rhetorical question,but more interesting is what wannabees do between the easy part of parting with cash to buy a boat and selling the boat.

perhaps read the 69 pages and 1000 plus posts on the thread before trash talking wannabees,you might find it insightful
Old 15-12-2018, 16:54   #1030
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Missed our arbitrarily selected year of departure but not fretting about it. Currently cruising our own coast, finishing the refit and saving money. 2020 is now the much more realistic year of departure for warmer climes (maybe 2019 if my job ends unexpectedly) and will be hunting down all those who "ben trash talkin' wanabees"
Old 16-12-2018, 07:21   #1031

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
good well thought out answer to a rhetorical question,but more interesting is what wannabees do between the easy part of parting with cash to buy a boat and selling the boat.

perhaps read the 69 pages and 1000 plus posts on the thread before trash talking wannabees,you might find it insightful
Atoll I think you read more into that post than was really there...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 21:26   #1032
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Atoll I think you read more into that post than was really there...
quite possibly,i see you are a new boat owner from your other posts,so i guess you are now,a gonnabee
best of luck with the new project
Old 16-12-2018, 22:30   #1033

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Wannabe reporting as ordered. Still planning, learning and getting more excited by the day. Rough time line puts us casting off 11/30/22 marking my 55th birthday. I’ll continue to post and ask questions. Thank everyone for their help thus far.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 03:38   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
leaving is the hardest bit!
after that it gets easier,learning curve is intensive,but not insurmountable with a reasonably seaworthy boat , moderate funds,common sense and a few basic hand tools for repairs
I've been doing the majority of the work by myself, and if I don't know I'm on the shoulder of who is doing the work. She is a southern Cross 31, seaworthy she is and I'm learning to trust her. learning curve is enjoyable, though a little daunting at times.
Old 18-12-2018, 03:39   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob.
Cheers mate, been here a while, lot of good advice on here.