Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 07:34   #916

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

The Hulls are finally finished,
I have put the rudders back in,
Finally got the new steering cables almost installed, Started them 6 years ago, which was what actually started all my problems,
Now to put all the rest of the stuff back into her,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	163729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 002.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	163730  

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	163731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 009.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	163732  

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 012.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	163733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, 22 Dec 2017 006.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	163734  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:06   #917

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Never had the illusion of becoming a world cruiser. Still working towards moving to the coast. Life gets in the way. Still raising teenage grandchildren and trying to downsize our kennel while still being able to make a living. It's tough having a boat three hours away. I have probably three boxes of lights , through hull valves, canvas , etc. waiting for me to install. Have eliminated the overheating problem with an oversized heat exchanger and pump, installed new starter, running rigging and most lights changed to leds. Got a 7 ft. dinghy, four HP outboard for it, sits pretty damn low in the water , so not sure what we'll end up with
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:06   #918

Boat: Tartan 3800

Zombie thread.

Anyway, I came to the forums 8 years ago when my brother was talking up his dreams of cruising the world in a Kadey-Krogen. He hasn't yet, but perhaps he will. I never articulated any grand plans and just read and learned over the years until my situation started to change. I now have a boat and some very specific designs on local/regional cruising while I still have my day job.

I do not have any plans to circumnavigate though I suppose that could change. My present boat is not suitable for long passages. I anticipate selling it (or giving it away or whatever) in 3-5 years. Either something larger will replace it or I'll move on to other interests. There's a lot to see in North America and the Caribbean. I'm starting there and may never get beyond that with my own boat.

I do want to explore some areas that aren't feasible to see from an oceangoing sailboat due to draft constraints. These include the British canal system and the Norfolk Broads. To do that we'll have to fly to England and hire a suitable boat there.

We'll perhaps also do up a bareboat charter in the Caribbean for a couple weeks at some point, or trailer my present boat to Florida for that, or both.

That's all cruising to me although I suppose some might say it doesn't make me eligible for the club or whatever.

I'm making the most of my location, which is:
* within an hour's drive of only part of the Mississippi that is truly ideal for sailing
* within a half day's drive of Lake Superior
* within reasonable driving distance of some extremely rugged and remote freshwater cruising grounds near the Minnesota/Ontario border.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:16   #919

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Good luck Steven UK.

We’re a little closer. Quit our jobs in Colorado and moved onto the boat in Corpus Christi, TX last week. WhooHoo!!

Working on putting the last things together and found a job here so we can add to the cruising kitty and pay off a few more things.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 19:33   #920

We are still wanabee's enjoying the status... We are definitely guilty of lurking the forum without posting. That being said, we really appreciate all the info we have picked up here.
At this point in our lives we are still enjoying the travel trailer and plan to spend at least one more summer with it prior to selling it and picking up our first coastal cruiser. Until then we will continue to be other people's boat, boaters with a dream....lol. Set aside any unforeseen circumstances we are planning to have our basic crew and level 1 certification by summer, and if time permits maybe level 2 certification by the end of this year.
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:36   #921

Boat: 1975 Albin 25

Basically the same here, Lurker for a long time. I found the forums pop up for alot of my google searches and I am usually able to glean some good advice from here. We bought our first boat, a Maxum 2400, in about 2005. We used it as an escape pod to get away from the rat race. We enjoyed cruising the carolina coast greatly. Over the years I noticed the admiral was less financially and emotionally supportive. The kids were not inclined to help clean her up after a three day weekend either. At the height of the downturn (2008) we sold her and counted our blessings, my wife lost her good job that summer.

We missed the coast and the cruising life and so in 2016 we aquired an Albin 25 with intentions of rekindling the cruising flame and possibly attempting the great Loop some day. Things were diferent, the admiral was less inclined than ever to venture out and the kids could not accept the monotony of cruising. Myself, I thought I found the perfect adventure boat (200NM for $30!). Eventually the family took over in a bloody mutiny and we purchased a property at the coast. We still have the Albin but I don't know how much longer I can keep her around. The dream is still alive for me, but is all but lost for the rest of them...
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:50   #922
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Welcome to CF CrankyD..
A love of Sailing is an affliction suffered by the few and tolerated.. just.. by the many.
In many ways it becomes similar to marriage.. a series of compromise's which over time can, in many case's, lead to acceptable agreements by both parties.. Just ease back on expecting everyone to follow your desires at the possible expense of their own.
Learn to sail solo.. and enjoy it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:11   #923
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CrankyD.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 14:36   #924

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

I’m encouraged by all of the wannabes on this thread. Good on ya, keep up the dream. We sold the house in 2015, moved aboard and in 2016 sailed south to MX. In the summer of 2017 we moved back, the boat is for sale. We did it. But now I’m a wannabe again. Plans are up in the air, but I expect after some time to pickle, something will gel and we’ll get moving again. What that will look like, well who knows? I know what I want it to look like, but happiness is hard to recognize from afar.

Good luck everyone!
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 15:14   #925
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
I’m encouraged by all of the wannabes on this thread. Good on ya, keep up the dream. We sold the house in 2015, moved aboard and in 2016 sailed south to MX. In the summer of 2017 we moved back, the boat is for sale. We did it. But now I’m a wannabe again. Plans are up in the air, but I expect after some time to pickle, something will gel and we’ll get moving again. What that will look like, well who knows? I know what I want it to look like, but happiness is hard to recognize from afar.

Good luck everyone!
thanks for posting scott,as they say "all good things come to those that wait",but having a plan and executing it ruthlessly also works!

good luck in the future
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:49   #926
CLOD

Boat: none

Been full time cruising now for 22 months. I’m still a wannabe.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:28   #927
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Been full time cruising now for 22 months. I’m still a wannabe.
Don't worry,it wears off after about 10000 miles,gradually you will one day find yourself in a yacht chandlers,knowing exactly what you need,and not have to ask questions
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12   #928
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Don't worry,it wears off after about 10000 miles,gradually you will one day find yourself in a yacht chandlers,knowing exactly what you need,and not have to ask questions
Always need to ask questions in chandlers these days..
"Have you got one of these..?"
"Can you order one..??"
"How long will it take to get here..???"
They just don't carry the stock any more..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:32   #929

Started our 12 month sabbatical on Wednesday. All boat work since then but setting off for Croatia tomorrow.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:25   #930
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Always need to ask questions in chandlers these days..
"Have you got one of these..?"
"Can you order one..??"
"How long will it take to get here..???"
They just don't carry the stock any more..
i guess most are just"wannabee chandlers"!

i try to buy mostly online,generally 20-30% cheaper including postage.

i just bought 1000 stainless cup washers for £18 which is 1.8 pence each online,the chandlers want 15p each!