Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 06:06   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Some one post wannabes are not serious posters. They may be previously banned members, up all night teens doing what they do best, trolls, etc. there are one or two active threads here now that fit that bill. Don't have a clew why people would waste their time doing a troll post, but it happens all the time. When I see a post that has a virgin giggle to it, I look and see how many posts they have. One post is an indication someone is practicing their writing skills.
I have a suspicion that some folks are repeat returnees - but to be honest I don't mind a good troll (bad ones are easy to ignore as simply uninteresting). If the subject is interesting enough then folks will run with it to the benefit of all / others (including me, even when I have a fair suspicion that the OP is not that much of a dumbass wannabee / newbie ). The fact that the subject and following posts might be of no actual interest to the OP is irrevelant - it's not as if keeping things relevant solely to an OP is standard OP anyway!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 06:18   #62

Boat: Sabre 42
This is why I've stopped telling people my plans... nothing goes as planned!

I'm a wannabe, and I'm damn proud of it. There's a lot of things I wanna be, a lot of things I wanna do, and a lot of places I wanna go. If I get to the point of not being a wannabe/do/go, that'll be sad.

I learned long ago to not have plans, instead I have a direction, and everyday I head in that direction.

You can't steer a car that's not moving..
Old 23-09-2012, 06:27   #63

Boat: Hunter 37 Cherubini
Mystic Gringo - I agree. Got to have plans and dreams. I got a bunch.
My wife and I are newbies. Just bought our first big boat. Going to sail it as much as we possibly can between now and retirement in the next 5-7 years. If we figure out the sailing/ cruising life is for us then we will probably upgrade the boat and take off for real. If it doesn't work as a retirement plan then we will have still had a great time figuring that out.
Bay Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 06:49   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we are all wannabes in some sense or another--my cruising was aided and abetted by a mooring company deciding to stick to rules for a change--as i had 2 boats on moorings and one is all allowed by bylaws, one needed to leave --so i got formosa ready and split. no she wasnt totally ready--nor was i--go figger i have a disabling underlying condition..LOL
but, each resting place is just that--i rest, fix some things and proceed until i find somewhere to base myself then go from there..now if i could just get my hands to cooperate i could continue sola.....or i can wait a few more months before sailing farther south----i wannabe on carib side----i am in mexico--yes, is gorgeous here. very enjoyable. folks are friendly--and my boat is improving weekly.
now to strengthen paws again so i can pull sheets and handle lines .....
i can tell you it is much better waiting here where foods are reasonably priced than it is to wait and fix in sd where everything is outrageously high in price. funny how stuff for 4-108 perkins engines is less expensive and more readily available here in mexico. have ha to do much work onmy engine i got used than i havehad to do on anything else onboard, as it leaked all oil out within 30 miles of ignition, and there were air leaks and such wonderful things ye dont find until the rocks are soooo close-- but i am out here living life. starter burned crispy just north of cedros island....lol gone --not rebuildable....is alll goood---i know where to find them in mexico for only a small fraction of usa pricing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 06:58   #65

Anyone remember the guy that left California in a beat up suv with all his stuff and was coming to Fl. to buy a boat and be happy. He was posting 4 or 5 times a day crying the blues. Blew his car up, got busted for weed in Texas, finally made it to Fl. Then disappeared. A great soap opera will it lasted.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:06   #66

As another wannabe, this forum has helped immensely in formulating our own plan. I would admit I started with a "how do I sail around the world" type thinking. At the time I had mostly been playing around with a little HobiCat. After wisening up a bit, I am now on a longer, slower plan that actually includes sailing ..

First, I got the family (including 2 young kids) out on a very nice day sail last November, curtousy of a CF member. Everyone loved it!

Bought a trailerable, well maintained , ready to sail 23' Aquarius in Feb. Signed wife and self up for Basic Keel boat class, and have been spending as much time as possible sailing this summer. Mostly on the small city of Minneapolis lake it's moored on, but also a long weekend on Lake Pepin.

Next step is likely some more ASA classes, and a charter sometime this winter. After that, we'll be looking at moving closer to the ocean and start looking for a "big boat". Figure a cross country move is a good way to start downsizing :-)

My main advice to fellow "wannabes" is that while you're waiting for whatever it is holding you back to be resolved, find something to sail!
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:14   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
Anyone remember the guy that left California in a beat up suv with all his stuff and was coming to Fl. to buy a boat and be happy. He was posting 4 or 5 times a day crying the blues. Blew his car up, got busted for weed in Texas, finally made it to Fl. Then disappeared. A great soap opera will it lasted.
that would be bergovoy!.....was intresting whilst it lasted

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Bergovoy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:16   #68
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK, I was a wannabe, and in some ways I still am.

I just found out about this forum a couple of weeks ago, and was invited by a friend.

But... about 2 years ago I started frequenting a forum devoted to trawlers, and ocean going cruisers.

I asked questions, learned, and started looking for my next boat. I had a 28' cabin cruiser at the time.

Well last august (2011) I bought a 47' pilothouse boat, with the potential to be a great coastal cruiser. I spent a mint last winter having it repowered and refitted for extended cruising.

Then this spring I took that boat on a 1500NM cruise up the inside passage and accross the gulf of Alaska.

Now I'm here at your forum as a cruising lifestyle wannabe. I'm stuck for winter in Alaska but plan on setting sail in the spring, and never being cold again.

So, some wannabes actually do go cruise the world, and some just dream about it, hoping for someday. The information experienced cruisers can share helps both groups.

I guess that's what bothers me. To me a "wannabe" is someone who desperately hangs on to the fringe of a group, hoping to fit in but never making it

But we were ALL "noobs" once (short for newbie). You gather more information, you ask lots and lots of questions, and sometimes people here REALLY rise to the mark.

I had that experience here lately after I bought a sea anchor. I was overwhelmed with information -- ALL of it, whether it was negative or positive, tremendously useful. If I don't come back and report what I have experienced using it (or trying to), those people may well think it was like telling someone how to catch a unicorn -- a complete waste of their considerable time.

I think if we called the people we're talking about "newbies" instead of "wannabes" it would just set a better tone.

And a lot of people here who are highly experienced will be a "newbie" at *something* -- if they have decades of experience it will probably easy for them, but it was still new to them. We see that all the time.

A newbie can easily get the "bug" for this, gather a lot of advice here, and still, for one reason or another, not be able to act on it right away, but it would still be nice to know they found their way to getting out on the water in some way.

I guess you are a "wannabe" for actual cruising if you said so, but you have accomplished an awful lot.

I might start a new thread titled "What was the most important thing you learned your first year of cruising/living aboard?" But since I'm going to be out most of the day, if someone else wants to do that, that would be fine. I bet every person would pick something different.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:19   #69
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Bought a much smaller boat than planned, on the good advice of many. On paper it was perfect, New engine, New sails, New head, New electrical. Supposedly the couple had been prepping to head south cruising when plans changed.
Paid a good price accordingly, and paid for a very costly survey(almost double the going rate) to get a known company to do it.

In the end it turned out the seller was either lying or clueless, the surveyor likewise.
Engine was 16 years old, sails a decade old, mast support beam delaminated, most tabbing broken, cheap plywood in place of a structural bulkhead. everything that had been touched by previous owners had been butchered from replacing all electrical with speaker wire right down to the cabinets and paint.
I ended up staying on land, working double full time jobs to try and keep afloat financially. Haven't had a single day off since April, a lot of days I'm at my first job at 8:30 am, at about 3 I leave to start my night shift.
If I have an evening or some daytime off I work on her.

So far this has pretty much soured me on the boat. Cost more than I'd spend to ride my motorbike around the world and I haven't yet raised a sail.

Maybe that makes me a wanna be. Mostly it just makes me a bit sad. Sure would have been nice to buy an honest boat and spend some time on the water.

I sneak aboard now, room on land gone, but with university and keeping both jobs I am just doing what I can to move forward a bit at a time.
Next owner of this boat will enjoy my labors, because I'm taking the time to do it right. The boat is getting an end to end refit, from all new marine wiring and blue seas panels to bedding hardware properly. Maybe I will too for a bit, but these days I don't know. Watching the thousands pour into fixing all the abuse has taken a lot of the fun out of it.

Perhaps I'll post more about sailing if I ever get there, I still hope I will, mostly I lurk the forums, and enjoy the sailing if others for now.

That is so sad.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:22   #70

most of the wannabes come here via bajahaha and leave boats here indefinitely until they look neglected then sell em...many boats are left inmexico by wannabes who decide this life aint for them, or momma says sell boat and come to colorado or no sex..LOL--so they leave boats here and try to sell them later--about 1/3 haha-ers go to so pac with the pacific puddle jump, 1/3 continue south or go north and 1/3 leave boats somewhere.
here in west coast, cruising has a larger scheme than in east coast, as we have this thing called pacific ocean, and pacific was a misnomer,and few lil barrier islands, if any7. to which to cruise (other than overused catalina and the channel islands, or in coldville pnw). only sometimes is it peaceful. we have large swells as rollers and southerly drift current, so is different from east coast sailing. even atlantic is different from pacific in a big way. no 2 oceans are alike,no 2 seas the same. no 2 bodies of water are similar in character. makes the world an interesting place to sail.
is a shame some start but cannot vs do not finish their dreams of many years formation.

bergavoy--mr i gotta get a magic boat to change my life--he has a s2 for sale in marathon--was ditched from sm for being obnoxious and downer, came back here under name sailinman, and was ditched for ...... and his saga continues as he broke both wrists somehow and cannot do anything but type and gripe. his tale is a sad one....of own doing, unfortunately. one cannot run from self.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:44   #71

Boat: Ovni 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
So what do you mean by a "wannabe'. Personally I find your use of the term offensive.
I completely agree.

In my post I had written a long entry about disliking the term "wannabe", but deleted it, because I figured I was the only one. Now that you've raised the topic, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

To me a wannabe is the same as a poser: Posing to be something you're not. In this case someone who dreams of, or wants to become a blue water cruiser. Just because that dream doesn't materialize, it doesn't make you a wannabe.

Most people here aren't wannabes. People here share a dream or a passion and branding people this or that is uncool.

When I posted here, I decided to interpret this thread as meaning people that came on the forum, but either did or didn't go through with their plans and people could write their stories.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:47   #72

wannabe=someone who WANTS to do something, mebbe doesnt get around to it.

noob=someone new to the task and is actually learning and doing...

there is a huge difference in the two.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:50   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I completely agree.

In my post I had written a long entry about disliking the term "wannabe", but deleted it, because I figured I was the only one. Now that you've raised the topic, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

To me a wannabe is the same as a poser: Posing to be something you're not. In this case someone who dreams of, or wants to become a blue water cruiser. Just because that dream doesn't materialize, it doesn't make you a wannabe.

Most people here aren't wannabes. People here share a dream or a passion and branding people this or that is uncool.

When I posted here, I decided to interpret this thread as meaning people that came on the forum, but either did or didn't go through with their plans and people could write their stories.

it was purely an evocative jounalistic tool,with no spite intended,try look at the big picture ,rather than being subjective
Old 23-09-2012, 07:55   #74

Boat: Union Polaris 36

I'm a total wannabe. I wanna be in the San Blas next month, I wanna cross the pacific next season, I wanna beer. They will happen.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:58   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm a total wannabe. I wanna be in the San Blas next month, I wanna cross the pacific next season, I wanna beer. They will happen.
+1 may the force be with you!