Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58   #676

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Well, my last post here was 3 May, and since then Christa and I have gotten our Day Skipper qual and are heading back to Malta to hopefully get our Coastal Skipper towards the end of August.

Time is tight so we don't spend too much time her on CF, but occasionally we do lurk and pick up some useful info.

At some point, hopefully we'll be able to contribute more than simple anecdotes.
Old 08-08-2014, 14:38   #677

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
remember only 10 percent succeed...

Old 08-08-2014, 15:30   #678

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

This wannabe is a little wide eyed at the moment, dealing with selling/donating 90% of the stuff and packing the other 10% during the week and still having two major systems (batteries and refrigeration) to work on over the weekends.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:15   #679
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't care for the term "wannabe" either. It's a little too derogatory towards those who would love to be out doing the cruising lifestyle.

There is nothing wrong with being in that situation whether it is a money, time or a health problem...or because they feel they need to learn more before taking off across the horizon.

Also, because you are not out cruising does not mean you know nothing about boats. There are a lot of professionals in this forum from many professions that relate to boats in one way or another who are busy working at their professions whose knowledge of their profession have the potential of blowing away the knowledge of many of those who are out there cruising.

Don't turn your nose up at the wannabe's, they may know something that you don't. You might one day need to swallow your pride and ask a wannabe a question because you don't know the answer...gasp!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:31   #680
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Big group hug for the Gonnabe's!

And for those who are already fixing a boat or saving their money or working their plan or getting time on the water sailing or chartering or learning weather or navigation - they are "alreadybe's" anyway.

Read the postings of the folks already on their boats. The maintenance doesn't stop. The fixing the boat doesn't stop. The replacing broken gear doesn't stop.

There is no goal line - it's a continuum.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:35   #681
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The maintenance doesn't stop. The fixing the boat doesn't stop. The replacing broken gear doesn't stop.
Absolutely Right...it only stops when the boat sells or sinks!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:52   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't care for the term "wannabe" either. It's a little too derogatory towards those who would love to be out doing the cruising lifestyle.

There is nothing wrong with being in that situation whether it is a money, time or a health problem...or because they feel they need to learn more before taking off across the horizon.

Also, because you are not out cruising does not mean you know nothing about boats. There are a lot of professionals in this forum from many professions that relate to boats in one way or another who are busy working at their professions whose knowledge of their profession have the potential of blowing away the knowledge of many of those who are out there cruising.

Don't turn your nose up at the wannabe's, they may know something that you don't. You might one day need to swallow your pride and ask a wannabe a question because you don't know the answer...gasp!
I don't feel anyone has looked down their nose at the wannabes. I was one, then I purchased my boat and progressed to a gunna. Now I am a long term cruiser averaging 6000kts a year. I always say the wannabes and the charter yacht sailors are tomorrow's Cruisers.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 17:03   #683

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Bah, its all a matter of perspective. I consider it a positive term and associate it with setting goals, achieving them, and setting new ones. I'll always be a Wannabe.

Having said that, the tone of the original post for this thread was certainly clear in its demeanor, and was neither positive nor encouraging. But we have clearly pushed past that and Wannabes, Gonnabes and Usedtobes still use this thread to check in from time to time.

I'm only months away from living out the plan now, but i'll always be a Wannabe!
Old 08-08-2014, 18:40   #684

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
remember only 10 percent succeed...
That depends on how you define success.
Old 08-08-2014, 18:43   #685

Still here. Still lurking. Still on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 18:53   #686
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians
a bit of feed back on the original post..

jon has now sold his boat,got married,and is currently looking for work as an actor in LA.
i wish him the best of luck with his career,and congratulations on getting married.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:50   #687

Boat: boatless wonder

I guess it's about getting to know yourself.

Mother Sea called me when I was a toddler and to my mother's horror I ran and dove in headfirst. Couldn't believe some people need "swimming lessons".

I felt like a bird uncaged in her embrace, but she tolerates no fools

I both fear and love my mighty Atlantic - she can be cruel to be kind sometimes, and nearly killed me a couple times, but I still hear her call at all times.

I think Mother Sea calls everyone, and if you go to her she will teach you to know yourself. Maybe sometimes people learn to understand that some dreams are not what they want, and that no dream is ever free.

However my hat's off to anyone who ever tried and failed - at least they tried - and if in the attempt met their true selves are better for it.

But I will feel her embrace again.

Yow what slop... mea culpa.
Lubber4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:56   #688
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I'm one, and don't consider it to be offensive, why do you?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 11:12   #689

Boat: Young Sun 35

I piped in on this thread a couple of months back ... I've moved from that "wannabe" status to more of the "new kid on the block". I recently purchased my vessel, and am in the process of making sure she's ship-shape and safe for my needs.

Reading through more of these posts, though, it struck me ... I've been involved in sailing for a long time (since the early 1970's), but am just now in a position to really make a big change in my life and how I live it ... and ... this Forum (CF) has been a real delight for me.

I would honestly like to say thanks to folks like: Atoll, MarkJ, Ann T. Cate, Jim Cate, Zeehag, sailorchic34, SV Third Day, Ex-Calif, David M, rebel heart, barnakiel, GordMay, Hudson Force, and so very many more who have taken the time to answer questions, offer opinions, etc. Sure some of the posts can be a little "quirky" at times, they can be conflicting and confusing, and maybe not what people want to hear ... but you folks tend to offer genuine, bare bones advice. It's us as the folks who haven't really crossed the big water, experienced the harsh weather, tried to live on a shoe-string budget, had systems fail and fail again, etc. who look to those more experienced to give us some clues as to what we're getting into ... the realities, as opposed to the fantasies.

Don't get me wrong ... I still have the dream, and I still have the fantasy, but I also have more practical knowledge thanks to you folks on the forums.

I really do want to say thanks so much to all of the many thousands of words that have been typed and uploaded onto these forums!!

Cheers folks, and hopefully I'll be ghosting by some of you in the very near future!

Phil

Lutra: The Life and Times of a Sea Weasel: November 2013: The Adventure Begins
Old 23-08-2014, 03:53   #690

Guilty as charged. I've posted a few questions here and then disappeared. I have taken a couple of steps by taking ASA 101 and scheduled a couple of boat shows (Newport in a couple of weeks and Annapolis in October).

I'm somewhat stuck because my wife is not 10l0% on board with the whole idea of cruising off into the sunset. She's still working and I'm retired. She's 58 and I'm 65. I've read that the best gift you can give a retired partner is a retirement part for his working partner. I can certainly relate.

My next step appears to be taking 103 and 104, but I feel somewhat guilty proceeding with a $2000 expense when I'm not contributing to the family kitty other than my SS. I'm also living in the lower Hudson Valley of NY. Not exactly cruising waters.

My gut tells me to wait for her. My heart says go now. Anyone else experienced these waters? No pun intended.
wswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote