Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 16:05   #646

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambloplites View Post
As the song goes ... "Kemosabi, kiss my ass, I bought a boat, I'm going off to sea."

Bought my boat after searching and researching for a few years ... she's everything I didn't want, but everything I needed. She fits my needs and is just enough to almost get me into trouble, while still enough to take me anywhere I want to go.

A lot of folks would curse her, and many would say, "why that boat"? But she's mine, and she sails like a goddess ... slow and stately.

She leaks a bit around the edges, and she's got a bit of rough edges here and there ... things that need to be updated for safety ... but she's sound, and solid, and beautiful.

I've still got a little over a year before I'm ready to cast off for places far and wide. But in the meantime, I'm taking my time to get to know her intimately. And I kinda think she likes me.

She's berthed outside of Seattle, and I live in Boise ... a long distance relationship. But I get over to her and let her know I haven't forgotten her about once a month.

And while I continue to get a lot of excellent info from these forums, I don't particularly like to write ... much.

So, as Papillon said, "I'm still here, you bastards!"

Phil
+1
Sounds a bit like our boat. A year isn't going to be enough! But don't let that hold you back

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:19   #647

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Im still here, I am still waiting for the repairer to finish repairing my boat,

He is so very very slow,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01   #648

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44
What happens to all the wannabees?

Another newbie here. I'll be posting my share of questions as we progress, and no doubt many of them will seem silly to the veterans out there. Sometimes it will be because I really can't sort it out myself, and sometimes it will be due to laziness hoping the answer will just present itself. In the end this will still be towards the overall benefit of such a forum as it creates opportunity-based learning for those that are either just lurking or too embarrassed to ask themselves.

As for why you tend to not hear from some folks after they are on their way, perhaps some of the reason may be due to the proliferation of blog sites in recent years. That is what I have experienced with other forums, and with the ease of setting up a site now with templating software, more and more are posting there as opposed to forums.

Others may have got their nickels worth from you guys here, never really contributed with content or cash, and have literally sailed into the sunset without even a thanks. Those guys are out there unfortunately.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute my fair share, and when I'm not, my questions may at least have some potential for entertainment value...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:06   #649
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Another newbie here. I'll be posting my share of questions as we progress, and no doubt many of them will seem silly to the veterans out there. Sometimes it will be because I really can't sort it out myself, and sometimes it will be due to laziness hoping the answer will just present itself. In the end this will still be towards the overall benefit of such a forum as it creates opportunity-based learning for those that are either just lurking or too embarrassed to ask themselves.

As for why you tend to not hear from some folks after they are on their way, perhaps some of the reason may be due to the proliferation of blog sites in recent years. That is what I have experienced with other forums, and with the ease of setting up a site now with templating software, more and more are posting there as opposed to forums.

Others may have got their nickels worth from you guys here, never really contributed with content or cash, and have literally sailed into the sunset without even a thanks.
thanks for posting john.......here is me living the dream TODAY!!!

no gain without pain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10474.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	80470  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09   #650
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
the ease of setting up a site now with templating software, more and more are posting there as opposed to forums.
Blog Hosting

I know Sailblogs is the most popular, but I'm impressed by the blog package on CruisersCorner. Easy, cheap and customizable to even allow you to make a few bucks from your blog!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 14:56   #651

Boat: Boatless

Still a wannabe. Currently a long haul truck driver. Was engaged, but that fell apart. The biggest problem with that is I've been in her daughter's life since she was 6 mos old. Mommy can so what she wants, but leaving the little one...now 6...is really going to hurt.

Anyway. Contemplating heading to Texas to drive a truck on the oil rigs. Money seems to be exceptional. I could do that for 10 more years, semi - retire at 58, pay cash for a boat, and just take off. I am currently two credit cards away from being debt free.

I just have to make the big boy decision, and do it. Until then I will live vicariously through all of you.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 15:08   #652

Boat: Skookum 53'

Driving truck gives you good experience with living in a limited space so you don't accumulate too much stuff. If you go over to the dark side and drive in the oil field, they will take all the fun out of driving and suck out your soul, but the devil does pay well. There are lots of nice ports in Texas, so on your time off you can go kick boat tires.
Old 13-05-2014, 01:02   #653

I too, am still here, lurking.
I sold my semi and trailer last month. Got too burned out with the ratrace involved with it. I made just enough to buy a kettle corn setup, so I now am the "Captn of Pyrate Popped Kettle Corn" here in southern Oregon.
I'm doing little growers market venues, and cruising the taverns selling my specialty flavored kettle corn(s) to the patrons.
This coming weekend I'm vending at a 3-day concert event here. Hope to make some $$$ there.
I donated a printer to the Rogue Yacht club here, who sail on Howard Prairie Lake and Emigrant Lake. The Commodore has promised to take me out and give me some fetchin' up on his 25ft Catalina. Can't wait!!
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:31   #654
CLOD

Boat: none

what happens to wannabes:

well based on how anyone who has a mishap etc. gets destroyed on CF the wannabes we don't hear about may just be the smart ones
Old 13-05-2014, 13:50   #655

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
what happens to wannabes:

well based on how anyone who has a mishap etc. gets destroyed on CF the wannabes we don't hear about may just be the smart ones
Now SB you know that all critics on CF are entirely unbiased! Particularly with regard to anchors.

I'm not serious.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:54   #656
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Now SB you know that all critics on CF are entirely unbiased! Particularly with regard to anchors.

I'm not serious.
No I would say they are all biased!
Old 14-05-2014, 05:27   #657

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Driving truck gives you good experience with living in a limited space so you don't accumulate too much stuff. If you go over to the dark side and drive in the oil field, they will take all the fun out of driving and suck out your soul, but the devil does pay well. There are lots of nice ports in Texas, so on your time off you can go kick boat tires.

There is no joy in trucking anymore. It is just a job. You're correct about living in small spaces. A 30' sailboat would be a McMansion compared to a class 8 Truck!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:27   #658

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I too am a lurker and have been for some time now, and can honestly say that someday, hopefully this summer/fall I won't be a lurker anymore. Having grown up sailing for 10 years, and recently re-discovering sailing once again, I hope to be a contributor once I feel comfortable enough to be an asset to others. I am sure that in the future I will have enough stupid questions for all, as I am sure it will be a project, which is something I like doing, working on things. Usually I find a project, or sometimes they find me, something that my family and friends say I am nuts to attempt.

I sold my business, and presently re-doing the backyard so the wife will be happy, and then priorities will shift to full boat hunting mode. Until I buy, OPB's are the fun I get, and some experience on the water. Reading books, and forums are a great read, maybe even a few ASA sailing courses or two in the meantime.

Lurkers, count me in that crowd....we all have differing stories, and backgrounds, sometimes it is the long haul that gets the dream realized...

Just my $.02
Old 14-05-2014, 13:03   #659
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post

Lurkers, count me in that crowd....we all have differing stories, and backgrounds, sometimes it is the long haul that gets the dream realized...

Just my $.02
You aren't a lurker, just a wannabe!
Old 14-05-2014, 13:14   #660

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You aren't a lurker, just a wannabe!
Thanks for that,

Next week I am talking to a broker, and possibly going to go look at an old ketch that I have had my eyes on. Assuming the owner realizes they have a major project they are trying to get rid of, with no bids, and on the hard for 6 years...my wife thinks I am nuts, she may be right, but she is being supportive of the whole thing. My daughter is all for it, at all of age 6. The last project was an old mansion, that took way too long to restore....