Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Lotta that goin' around

Old 15-12-2012, 08:40   #497
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I wonder if the number of people who come here initially as wannabee sailor types, who later become sailors; is more or less that the number of sailors who come initially as wannabee cruisers, who later go long term cruising?

Old 15-12-2012, 08:51   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
2 years ago I bought my 38' Ingrid and holy crap, things changed. I'm in the middle of rewiring the boat right now. I've spent a fortune to date and more coming, in what seems like a very short period of time. But I am getting it done. One expensive day after another.
To paraphrase the Navy SEAL's, the only cheap day was yesterday!
Old 15-12-2012, 08:53   #499

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

Perhaps some of the folks were successful in their dreams-

They are on a boat and enjoying life- not sitting here on the internet getting---

Wait~ must untie dock lines..... will not fall into the CF trap again-

(insert 5 short blasts here)
Old 15-12-2012, 10:05   #500

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I know a couple who bought an old 30' sloop (I don't want to be too specific), quit work for a year, put all their savings into making this thing bristol. With zero cruising experience, they planned a circumnavigation ... they suddenly realized they didn't want to sail after all and sold the boat at what I presume was a substantial loss.
And leaving the next buyer to deal with the changes and questionable work. My little 25 has a replacement deck but I'm realizing the PO didn't seal things well. Yesterday, I pulled a leaky chainplate only to find a like new replacement chainplate but a completely water-soaked half of a major bulkhead. Kinda lotta work ahead just a couple of years after the PO apparently used some cheap bathtub caulk rather than the $15 a tube good stuff.
Old 15-12-2012, 11:59   #501
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Just completed my first six months of Wannabee status. Lived on a 1968 Classic Plastic, which I bought for the same price as staying in a crappy apartment for six months. I wasn't sure where I wanted to live or if I wanted to go back to working in my profession (big bucks but stressful) which made the boat seem like a good/romantic choice. It isn't an easy lifestyle, and I found I worried about the boat filled with all my possessions when it was out on the hook so I put it in a nice marina ($250 per month with free wifi) after my tippy dinghy tipped over when I got into it with a bag of trash, and got a membership at a gym 2 miles away for $35 a month that had great shower facilities and long hours. Despite no running water or a decent bathroom, it was overall a pleasant experience but I decided I would go back to work instead of continuing my hobo lifestyle. The new professional I am working with is letting me stay in a nice 1500 square foot home next to the office at no charge for as long as I care to, he bought it as an investment and it was empty after being completely updated and after living in my boat constantly cluttered by tools and projects the starter home feels like a mansion and the simple amenities like an oven, W/D and shower seem absolutely luxurious! During the warm months it was great to be on the boat and I especially liked eating breakfast in the cockpit watching the sun rise, but I got tired of being a little cold all the time lately in NC despite having shore power supplied electric heat and a Heater Buddy propane heater. When Sandy passed close by, I learned where all the little leaks were that I thought I didn't have. At high tide the water goes about 4 inches over the finger pier, inconvenient with dress shoes or when carrying stuff on and off the boat and I did manage to drop a cheap cell phone and a coping saw overboard. Newbies don't realize that even gales can be a little scary even when you are tied to a dock (squalls terrified my gf when she visited,) and I have a new appreciation for how resilient a person must be to live on the hook, cruise the open seas and repair/maintain their boat in a foreign country without shore power and a hose. The first time I took my gf for a little putt putt cruise the impeller failed (I had a new one on the counter I was about to put in) and I had to get towed in, duh. After the total experience, I feel like I am living in a mansion in my little house and after taking my stuff off the boat I can now work on it and not worry about sanding dust and can use my boat as a boat without having to tie everything down for an hour which gradually made her a dock queen (even a bow wake can make a mess on a boat which is lived on.) I won't get too deep into composting toilets, but when I put mine in the cockpit for a few days and left a piece of carpet on top of it that had gotten wet (it was cold, never saw the flies) there were white creepy things crawling on the bottom of the carpet (yep, those creepy things) when I picked it up. Cleaning dishes out on the dock is a nuisance and going to the laundry to do clothes isn't fun but overall instead of paying rent I now have a nice boat that I have fixed up and am very proud of that I essentially got for free. During the six months I spent almost nothing but labor on the boat (maybe a few hundred dollars for butyl tape and epoxy) and despite the dock fee, gym etc it was easy to live on 500 or 600 dollars a month. Moreover, I know that if the Big One occurs, I can put six months of rice and beans on the boat, drop the line off the mooring ball the boat is currently tied to again, and escape to NeverNeverland.

I got a lot of great advice and learned tons about sailboats and sailing on this forum, but understand how some can feel that the elitist members are a bit harsh and even found myself starting to resemble them after a while so I took a break.

I've done numerous satisfying hobbies in my life, but I'm still most enthralled with sailing and don't plan to ever sell my 34 foot boat and who knows maybe someday once I get tired of working again I will give liveaboard status or even cruising another try but in a warmer climate.

Thanks to all that share their expertise, especially to Bob/Connie and Maine Sailor/Compass Marine: truly class acts.
Old 15-12-2012, 12:40   #502
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Sorry for the long paragraphs, I was trying to edit the manuscript and ran out of editing time.

One further point, now I have lots of experienced "boat neighbors," real life friendly human beings, to answer my dumb questions which may explain why some people disappear.
Old 15-12-2012, 13:04   #503
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Sorry for the long paragraphs, I was trying to edit the manuscript and ran out of editing time.

One further point, now I have lots of experienced "boat neighbors," real life friendly human beings, to answer my dumb questions which may explain why some people disappear.
The mono paragraph thing is definately a struggle! - but in this case well worth the effort .

Some things in life you don't find out about fully until doing for yerself, and not everything (most things?!) can be termed as either a success or a failure. In this case sounds like an experiance well worth doing for you - even if primarily to re-energise the batteries for life back on shore!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 00:06   #504

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I also am bemused by the many posts that start with, "I have never set foot on a boat. I am planning to go cruising in 3 years. What boat do I need?"

Seriously it really starts with the learning to sail part, doesn't it? Buying a boat is at most a 6 months exercise best to be thought of in year 2 1/2 of the 3 year plan.
First, I totally get your point because most people with no sailing experience who talk about setting off to go cruising, don't go do it.

...but I wanted to say to keep an open mind. I had only been on a J-22...on a reservoir...in Colorado...ONCE, when I first came on this forum saying that we wanted to take off cruising in 3 years and that we wanted to buy a boat right away.

We bought the bought right away and 3 years later cut the dock lines. We've been cruising for more than 900 days now and have no plans to stop anytime soon.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:36   #505
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
And leaving the next buyer to deal with the changes and questionable work. My little 25 has a replacement deck but I'm realizing the PO didn't seal things well. Yesterday, I pulled a leaky chainplate only to find a like new replacement chainplate but a completely water-soaked half of a major bulkhead. Kinda lotta work ahead just a couple of years after the PO apparently used some cheap bathtub caulk rather than the $15 a tube good stuff.
Actually, the guy and his wife seem to have done very good work - other than the bone-headed choices on engine and head. Apparently they were just less interested in sailing. Weird.
Old 22-08-2013, 16:06   #506
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you are now on the page,should guarentee you a few hits on your site

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1319767
Old 25-09-2013, 08:19   #507

I am a new wannabe here. I have raced a few years on 40 footers (never again), bareboat chartered a few times, BVI. had leased a small 30 ft for a year on Cheasapeake, but found myself not using it much as I expected.
Now? Getting close to retire time and looking ahead to spending some of it sailing. Few months a year? few years and see? just sell it all, will downsize soon anyway, and start sailing again to see where it goes? Use the boat as a winter home and spend summers somewhere else?
My goal here is to learn, keep my attitude ready and make progress toward decision time. Whether I buy first, or rent a few more times, or change my mind and do something else, I know that I will have learned some things here to help me decide and also that I have enjoyed the personalities that shared so much.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:38   #508
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

people come out here EXPECTING a nice free and easy lifestyle--rodlmao---boy do they learn it is not that..it is hard work and persistence and perseverance that gets this done and on its way--and refusal of acknowledging the word "cannot"
it is cold wet clothing and bumpy rides--lol
it is raining in side boat and your bed is soaked...lol fun, that.....
it is being pooped by a quartering sea and soaking wet and cold at 0300 then being hit in face by a smartass flying fishie--just to finish the point proven--we are not the rulers of the sea--momma nature is that.....
it is being awake for many hours after you want to be sleeping then awakened by something strange only to find you have no jib( a friend found this!)....
it is hauling jerry jugs o f water, diesel, whatever is needed and foodstuffs for miles to take to your anchored boat via dinghy and then manhandled onto boat...some folks take offense at this kind of work..
i have watched souls have difficulty and , despite a dream of sailing rtw, they sail 180 miles then QUIT.......
constantly in relocation is not what many desire--they consider this not acceptable--"where are our roots?".. if you seek roots, grow a tree---there are none in cruising, actually--roots are the anchor.
too many things break..no towing service....
there are other reasons folks quit---but these seem to be main one--difficulty personified.. this is more work than many have done while employed in real jobs..
the work is the tax we pay for having this awesome lifestyle.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 09:23   #509

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
...the work is the tax we pay for having this awesome lifestyle.
I love that line!
Old 25-09-2013, 09:51   #510

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the work is the tax we pay for having this awesome lifestyle.
There was nothing awesome in the description you gave. If it was all the negative you described, then what would be the point? Why not stay at home and hit yourself with a hammer?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: