Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 20:10   #481
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

When your buying a boat, keep in mind, its not a house with sails,

Its more like a bed sitter with sails, a lot crammed into a very small pace, But it all has to function properly,
__________________

__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 20:17   #482
Registered User
 
Strait Shooter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Straits of Juan De Fuca
Boat: Ingrid
Posts: 786
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Read CF forums and obsessed for over 7 years. Bought a 26' Laguna cheap and sailed the piss outta her for 4 (I think) years. Some of you might remember my finer moments of gaining experience (which I've discovered is something we get right after we needed it) from discussions on here. But it was fun, and not terribly expensive.
I also caught rides up and down the west coast of the US trying to gain as much experience as I could.

2 years ago I bought my 38' Ingrid and holy crap, things changed. I'm in the middle of rewiring the boat right now. I've spent a fortune to date and more coming, in what seems like a very short period of time. But I am getting it done. One expensive day after another.

So technically I'm still a wannabe. Have been for a while I guess, this **** don't happen overnight as some of you well know. It's all good, I'll get it done
__________________

__________________
"Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” (Michael Leboeuf)
Strait Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:26   #483
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

wannabee 007, your story sounds very familiar to me. My wife is insisting on a cat(owners version), genset, watermaker, ac. I don't know if we'll be able to afford all that when the time comes but I don't think she would be very happy on a 40-50 ft mono. Our next charter is a 50ft mono so we'll see how that goes.
__________________
YouTube Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:28   #484
Registered User
 
Wannabe-007's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific
Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Posts: 243
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Good luck YouTube Sailor!
__________________
Wannabe-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 19:37   #485
Registered User
 
Gemini Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams
Posts: 110
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians
Well since YOU asked.... (I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for this anyway) First most of us wannabees are trying to learn what we can and trying to decide if we can make things happen.

First if we ask a question, possibly that could have been asked over the last 10 years, you get the standard flogging. USE THE SEARCH, LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU, THIS IS A BETTER SEARCH sub google, or we just get bashed for a stupid question.

Second if we make it past the first obstacle and get an answer it is often just more links to stuff(edit) we can find on Google ourselves. The question wasn't how to use Google but a specific boat related question.

Third - When we make it past the first two, the third gauntlet is you don't know what the hell YOU need listen to ME I know better! In a condescending tone.

Fourth- If you tell the condescending blank(edit) that you just asked for a part number instead of his opinion you get the martial law from the moderators for trying to moderate your own posts. "That is not how we do it here."

Fifth- This is where the grammar police arrive and they correct your capitalization etc. in a World Wide Forum. Ass-u-ming English is everyone's college major?

Sixth- By now you have most of your answers from the internet or other people in REAL LIFE. You tend to wean off this message board as the answers cost to much off your dignity.

Seventh- When you actually cut the dock lines and live on the hook for a while your connectivity goes way down. Your priorities also change and Cruising Cruisers forum is way low on the list. Even enjoying happy hour at the dock is more entertaining than joining the negative wannabee bashers in cyber space.

Eighth- Now you have to make a decision. Do you tie back up to the dock forever and repress those that want to dream by "outing" them and posting their links on a public forum. Trying to ridicule them as they have taken something from you without giving you something in return? Or do you stand up and tell the world "I have a dream" and not look back at those that have repressed you on your journey.

Ninth- By now you rarely use CF and when you do you just check the "Recent Discussions" list or the top 2-3 columns of current interests.

Tenth- You sit here expecting that someone's feelings are going to get hurt by my lowly wannabee opinion that doesn't match up to such superiority. You try to tell everyone if this felt like it was directed at you then maybe there is just too much you have in common with the issues. If you live on land and continue to post links to Google, or if you are tied to a dock and continue to lash those that ask for help. Maybe they have moved on past "cruising on line" and they don't see a need to pay for sat phones to communicate here. Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you or even around the Earth? Maybe I'm not an A##h0(*.

The things I learned from this forum? The part number for a water pump... and Uh, hmmm, well no I guess that is it. Actually I learned that when you join this group you are in the back of the bus and can't drink out of the water fountain. That is until... oh well better stop there.

Oh and by the way... Why has the title of this thread not been corrected to have all worlds start with CAPS? (Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters!) Is it because he has over 44,000 posts and one of the boys?


The above is just my opinion!
IT WAS ASKED FOR BY THE OP. IT IS POSTED IN THE "An open forum to share whatever is on your mind!" FORUM. I DIDN'T MENTION ANYONE'S NAME OR USE FOUL LANGUAGE.

Wes

ps Sorry I didn't think to look at this the first day it was posted. Had too much life to attend to. Feel free to single me out next time you want to slap a wannabee around while sitting on the internet being mad because they took you knowledge and passed the teacher.
__________________
Albin Vega 1812
By the way... where is that button to block the frivolous posters with irrelevant and unsolicited information from posting unnecessary time consuming text within a simple inquiry?
Gemini Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 20:28   #486
Registered User
 
Travelnik's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nanny State
Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Posts: 593
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Sheesh! Someone's got some sand in their quim!
__________________
Dean - 22' Westerly Nomad - Travelnik
A 14-foot mini-cruiser is minimalist. A 19ft is comfortable, and anything much larger than a 25 borders on ostentatious.
Travelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 20:35   #487
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Well since YOU asked.... (I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for this anyway) First most of us wannabees are trying to learn what we can and trying to decide if we can make things happen.

First if we ask a question, possibly that could have been asked over the last 10 years, you get the standard flogging. USE THE SEARCH, LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU, THIS IS A BETTER SEARCH sub google, or we just get bashed for a stupid question.

Second if we make it past the first obstacle and get an answer it is often just more links to stuff(edit) we can find on Google ourselves. The question wasn't how to use Google but a specific boat related question.

Third - When we make it past the first two, the third gauntlet is you don't know what the hell YOU need listen to ME I know better! In a condescending tone.

Fourth- If you tell the condescending blank(edit) that you just asked for a part number instead of his opinion you get the martial law from the moderators for trying to moderate your own posts. "That is not how we do it here."

Fifth- This is where the grammar police arrive and they correct your capitalization etc. in a World Wide Forum. Ass-u-ming English is everyone's college major?

Sixth- By now you have most of your answers from the internet or other people in REAL LIFE. You tend to wean off this message board as the answers cost to much off your dignity.

Seventh- When you actually cut the dock lines and live on the hook for a while your connectivity goes way down. Your priorities also change and Cruising Cruisers forum is way low on the list. Even enjoying happy hour at the dock is more entertaining than joining the negative wannabee bashers in cyber space.

Eighth- Now you have to make a decision. Do you tie back up to the dock forever and repress those that want to dream by "outing" them and posting their links on a public forum. Trying to ridicule them as they have taken something from you without giving you something in return? Or do you stand up and tell the world "I have a dream" and not look back at those that have repressed you on your journey.

Ninth- By now you rarely use CF and when you do you just check the "Recent Discussions" list or the top 2-3 columns of current interests.

Tenth- You sit here expecting that someone's feelings are going to get hurt by my lowly wannabee opinion that doesn't match up to such superiority. You try to tell everyone if this felt like it was directed at you then maybe there is just too much you have in common with the issues. If you live on land and continue to post links to Google, or if you are tied to a dock and continue to lash those that ask for help. Maybe they have moved on past "cruising on line" and they don't see a need to pay for sat phones to communicate here. Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you or even around the Earth? Maybe I'm not an A##h0(*.

The things I learned from this forum? The part number for a water pump... and Uh, hmmm, well no I guess that is it. Actually I learned that when you join this group you are in the back of the bus and can't drink out of the water fountain. That is until... oh well better stop there.

Oh and by the way... Why has the title of this thread not been corrected to have all worlds start with CAPS? (Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters!) Is it because he has over 44,000 posts and one of the boys?


The above is just my opinion!
IT WAS ASKED FOR BY THE OP. IT IS POSTED IN THE "An open forum to share whatever is on your mind!" FORUM. I DIDN'T MENTION ANYONE'S NAME OR USE FOUL LANGUAGE.

Wes

ps Sorry I didn't think to look at this the first day it was posted. Had too much life to attend to. Feel free to single me out next time you want to slap a wannabee around while sitting on the internet being mad because they took you knowledge and passed the teacher.
well at least you learnt someting about dignity,and who not to listen to thanks for sharing
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 23:03   #488
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
While I'm still considered a wannabe, I'm a bit of a try'n to be.

When they say projects are going to take longer and cost more than expected ain't kidding. I knew I had some work to do on my boat when I got it, which was mostly cleaning up. The next thing was stopping leaks. Portholes leaked, replaced gaskets and stopped. Handrails on deck leaked in a few places, took them off to revarnish and about to put them back on. Now a new project showed itself. Engine raw water intake seacock/thru-hull was very loose, which explains why there was water in the bilge when I got it. Now I'm collecting parts and using Maine Sail's site to replace them properly. I could replace all the other thru-hulls and seacock/valves since they're using wood as backing plates but they seem more solid... actually, might as well replace them while I'm at it.
Just recently did my first oil/filter change and will need to replace a rusted metal water lift muffler to a fiberglass one. I winterized the engine for the first time too.

I'll get there eventually. Even though I've been doing more work than I expected, I'm actually still having fun along the way solving the problems and knowing what was done and how in case something else happens.

I don't think you're a wanna-be at all. I think you're like me...a worker-bee. What you're doing now, I did last year. I'm about 75% done and now living aboard and rented my paid-off house out. I can see how close I am now if I stay out of my head...meaning my stinking thinking. Like..."What the hell am I doing this for"...or..."My Gosh...the accounts empty...again"! But I know in a years time, I'll be in shorts and working on fun little project at my leisure time in Mexico. Here are my definitions.
1) Wannabe: A person that would like to go voyaging on a sailboat but has put unrealistic expectations on themselves and the typr of boat they think they want and an unrealistic timeline ( usually 6 years away). Hell, if I plan a year ahead and it works out, I'm lucky.
2) Worker-bee: Has a boat, little funds but a realistic goal of sailing south until they see Palm trees.
3) Never-was: Under 20 posts wanting to know if they should buy Brand X 60ft. sailboat or Brand Y sailboat in 2019 and should they offer 50% less because the market is soft now.
4) Hope-to-be: Took advice from books and forums, bought a Mcsailor 21 to see if they like sailing, got hooked and wanting to move on to a Worker-bee.
5) Pain-in-the-b: Has no intention of ever owning a boat but is an authority on every topic under the sun.
6) B.S.-a-be: Has a boat in a run down anchorage. Doesn't really need anchor rode, since the bottom growth that is attached to the hull also is attached to the anchorage floor and blue tarps cover the entire deck due to all the leaks. Has somehow sailed the 7 seas (or how many there is). Has seen it all. Done it all. And disagrees with anything anyone has ever said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
I agree... the adage you see on every thread like this is "Go cheaper, go smaller, go sooner, go longer". I like it, I believe it in, but it does have its limitations. As a mere padawan learner, I reckon your regular charter is a good way to spend your money/time. I'm doing the same thing, and will be aboard my first charter in a few days time .
I've been spending a fair bit of time looking at boats that fit my requirements... I think i'd like a Lagoon 400 or a Lavezzi 40... either one would stretch my 200k budget to its max, and the idea of trying to see if I like it by buying something with half the living area doesn't really work for me. It would really put my wife off if I took her away in a 30 footer. I supposed the issue is exaserbated by the fact that I'm looking at the lowest realistic end of liveaboard catamarans. Life would be much easier if she enjoyed 'heel'.

Anyhoo, next week this Wannabe is chartering an Athena 38 for 4 nights. It will be Wifeys first time away on a cat, so that will be very educational .
Ha ha...You should charter a 32 ft. Cat. So when you show the wife a 34 footer in your price range, she'll be elated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Read CF forums and obsessed for over 7 years. Bought a 26' Laguna cheap and sailed the piss outta her for 4 (I think) years. Some of you might remember my finer moments of gaining experience (which I've discovered is something we get right after we needed it) from discussions on here. But it was fun, and not terribly expensive.
I also caught rides up and down the west coast of the US trying to gain as much experience as I could.

2 years ago I bought my 38' Ingrid and holy crap, things changed. I'm in the middle of rewiring the boat right now. I've spent a fortune to date and more coming, in what seems like a very short period of time. But I am getting it done. One expensive day after another.

So technically I'm still a wannabe. Have been for a while I guess, this **** don't happen overnight as some of you well know. It's all good, I'll get it done
Ahhh...now you see. I posted about my Ingrid 38 and received a few negative responses when I stated costs and hassle of docking the boat. I loved it but did not enjoy having crew with me all the time (with the exception of a couple of good experienced and fun to be with sailors) but they are not always available. Single handing required a lot of fore-thought, but was doable. But yes...the cost of re-rigging was staggering. The new owner now has commented about rot issues in the Sitka spruce spars where he is in the tropics. He says the maintenance can really get away on him being on a limited budget. I dropped $20K on her in 1 1/2 years. Oh and $7.95 on a tube of Preparation H.
As I sated above, you're past Wannabe status, well on the way to being out there and doing it.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:50   #489
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

linked for posterities sake!
will make interesting reading in a year or so

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1094208
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:01   #490
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Well since YOU asked.... (I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for this anyway) First most of us wannabees are trying to learn what we can and trying to decide if we can make things happen.

First if we ask a question, possibly that could have been asked over the last 10 years, you get the standard flogging. USE THE SEARCH, LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU, THIS IS A BETTER SEARCH sub google, or we just get bashed for a stupid question.

Second if we make it past the first obstacle and get an answer it is often just more links to stuff(edit) we can find on Google ourselves. The question wasn't how to use Google but a specific boat related question.

Third - When we make it past the first two, the third gauntlet is you don't know what the hell YOU need listen to ME I know better! In a condescending tone.

Fourth- If you tell the condescending blank(edit) that you just asked for a part number instead of his opinion you get the martial law from the moderators for trying to moderate your own posts. "That is not how we do it here."

Fifth- This is where the grammar police arrive and they correct your capitalization etc. in a World Wide Forum. Ass-u-ming English is everyone's college major?

Sixth- By now you have most of your answers from the internet or other people in REAL LIFE. You tend to wean off this message board as the answers cost to much off your dignity.

Seventh- When you actually cut the dock lines and live on the hook for a while your connectivity goes way down. Your priorities also change and Cruising Cruisers forum is way low on the list. Even enjoying happy hour at the dock is more entertaining than joining the negative wannabee bashers in cyber space.

Eighth- Now you have to make a decision. Do you tie back up to the dock forever and repress those that want to dream by "outing" them and posting their links on a public forum. Trying to ridicule them as they have taken something from you without giving you something in return? Or do you stand up and tell the world "I have a dream" and not look back at those that have repressed you on your journey.

Ninth- By now you rarely use CF and when you do you just check the "Recent Discussions" list or the top 2-3 columns of current interests.

Tenth- You sit here expecting that someone's feelings are going to get hurt by my lowly wannabee opinion that doesn't match up to such superiority. You try to tell everyone if this felt like it was directed at you then maybe there is just too much you have in common with the issues. If you live on land and continue to post links to Google, or if you are tied to a dock and continue to lash those that ask for help. Maybe they have moved on past "cruising on line" and they don't see a need to pay for sat phones to communicate here. Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you or even around the Earth? Maybe I'm not an A##h0(*.

The things I learned from this forum? The part number for a water pump... and Uh, hmmm, well no I guess that is it. Actually I learned that when you join this group you are in the back of the bus and can't drink out of the water fountain. That is until... oh well better stop there.

Oh and by the way... Why has the title of this thread not been corrected to have all worlds start with CAPS? (Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters!) Is it because he has over 44,000 posts and one of the boys?


The above is just my opinion!
IT WAS ASKED FOR BY THE OP. IT IS POSTED IN THE "An open forum to share whatever is on your mind!" FORUM. I DIDN'T MENTION ANYONE'S NAME OR USE FOUL LANGUAGE.

Wes

ps Sorry I didn't think to look at this the first day it was posted. Had too much life to attend to. Feel free to single me out next time you want to slap a wannabee around while sitting on the internet being mad because they took you knowledge and passed the teacher.
You seem correct when you say you don't play well with others. I only went back and read half of all your threads. You give everyone exactly one (none) chance to answer before you lash out. I thought cruising was supposed to help with that sort of thing but then they say (when I search it ) that one does not become a different person when they cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Well at least part of that was relevant and helpful. THANK YOU but could you explain 7 daze? od mey Could you lead me by the hand to the posts specific to spending time in the Tortugas during the winter? I have only been on the board for 3 years and 4 months I don't have a high post count since I can read, use the search and don't play well with others.

I am still looking for 1st hand info instead of lecture.

w
You seem to mix up attempted helpful information, from some of the most helpful and informed people here, with lectures.

Perhaps if you listed each and every question as yes-or-no I (and maybe others ) might be able to answer without being hammered.

PS. Gorgeous boat in the 2010 thread. Hope she is still beautiful for you.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:07   #491
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 199
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Wow -- Gemini Dreams -- I have had nothing but good experiences from asking questions here. Think you guys and gals are great. Have to share however, that when I read Passages south had to look some things up on the internet to figure out what he was saying -- I'm that stupid yet. Maybe my expectations are too low.
__________________
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:56   #492
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,455
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Oh, and I learned that the clear plastic in my dodger shatters at low temperatures. Probably a boat buck to fix that. Unclear if just the low temperatures did it in, or if 10 years of sun was mostly the issue.

Boulter
G'Day Boulter,

Sure are a lot of lessons to learn!

But, as to the clears in your dodger... it isn't hard to replace them yourself if you have access to even a good home sewing machine.

You will need to measure up the clears and purchase new material (and there are many grades of such, of varying quality, clarity and cost). A chat with a local canvas shop will be informative, and if they are decent folks they will either sell you material or direct you to a source. You will also need some double sided "seam tape", available from most sailcloth vendors (Bainbridge, Contender, or Sailrite in the US). Sailrite can likely supply the clear material as well...

Then you lay the new material over the existing "windows" and mark out the exact edges of the old material onto the new. Cut the shapes out and using the double sided tape, stick the new windows on over the old. Sew around the edges using something on the order of V-92 UV treated thread. You go through both the new and old material. Use a zig-zag stitch if available, but that's not critical... just makes it easier to rip out if you screw something up! Once the new panels are stitched on, carefully cut out the old material, close to the edge of the cloth portion of the dodger.

When we did this job the first time we cut the old material out first... big mistake! It was nearly impossible to get the new stuff sewn in without changing the shape of the cloth. took several iterations and never did really look right after that.

Re-install on boat and enjoy a clearer view of the world.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 05:18   #493
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Well since YOU asked.... (I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for this anyway) First most of us wannabees are trying to learn what we can and trying to decide if we can make things happen.

First if we ask a question, possibly that could have been asked over the last 10 years, you get the standard flogging. USE THE SEARCH, LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU, THIS IS A BETTER SEARCH sub google, or we just get bashed for a stupid question. - Actually, a "DO A SEARCH " response is very rare on CF, at least as a standalone response. When used it is simply a pointer / nudge that the subject has been covered previously and is worth a search - but pretty much guaranteed that won't be the only content of the response.

Second if we make it past the first obstacle and get an answer it is often just more links to stuff(edit) we can find on Google ourselves. The question wasn't how to use Google but a specific boat related question. - not everyone can use Google well (or can be arsed?!), if the answer is already "out there" why do you need your own handwritten version?

Third - When we make it past the first two, the third gauntlet is you don't know what the hell YOU need listen to ME I know better! In a condescending tone. - you need a thicker skin . Bluntness used for clarity.

Fourth- If you tell the condescending blank(edit) that you just asked for a part number instead of his opinion you get the martial law from the moderators for trying to moderate your own posts. "That is not how we do it here." - I think that rolls into your fifth point........

Fifth- This is where the grammar police arrive and they correct your capitalization etc. in a World Wide Forum. Ass-u-ming English is everyone's college major? - Whilst I share your opinion that some are rather anal (and not in a play nice way ), nonetheless not only does some basic competency with english help others help "you" but it does allow "you" to ask better questions.

Sixth- By now you have most of your answers from the internet or other people in REAL LIFE. You tend to wean off this message board as the answers cost to much off your dignity. - dignity, wot dat?

Seventh- When you actually cut the dock lines and live on the hook for a while your connectivity goes way down. Your priorities also change and Cruising Cruisers forum is way low on the list. Even enjoying happy hour at the dock is more entertaining than joining the negative wannabee bashers in cyber space. - fair enough, I think that is pretty much how life is , just not sure how that is a criticism of CF - there are better things to do than cyberspace!

Eighth- Now you have to make a decision. Do you tie back up to the dock forever and repress those that want to dream by "outing" them and posting their links on a public forum. Trying to ridicule them as they have taken something from you without giving you something in return? Or do you stand up and tell the world "I have a dream" and not look back at those that have repressed you on your journey. - "you" do WTF you want. I am presuming you are not a child.........

Ninth- By now you rarely use CF and when you do you just check the "Recent Discussions" list or the top 2-3 columns of current interests. - CF is not compulsory - do WTF you want (see above comment).

Tenth- You sit here expecting that someone's feelings are going to get hurt by my lowly wannabee opinion that doesn't match up to such superiority. You try to tell everyone if this felt like it was directed at you then maybe there is just too much you have in common with the issues. If you live on land and continue to post links to Google, or if you are tied to a dock and continue to lash those that ask for help. Maybe they have moved on past "cruising on line" and they don't see a need to pay for sat phones to communicate here. Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you or even around the Earth? Maybe I'm not an A##h0(*. - or maybe you are, and you simply don't post anymore on CF?

The things I learned from this forum? The part number for a water pump... and Uh, hmmm, well no I guess that is it. Actually I learned that when you join this group you are in the back of the bus and can't drink out of the water fountain. That is until... oh well better stop there. - the question is also "what have you contributed?".

Oh and by the way... Why has the title of this thread not been corrected to have all worlds start with CAPS? (Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters!) Is it because he has over 44,000 posts and one of the boys? - I think the Moderator who invented that job has found better things to do..........


The above is just my opinion!
IT WAS ASKED FOR BY THE OP. IT IS POSTED IN THE "An open forum to share whatever is on your mind!" FORUM. I DIDN'T MENTION ANYONE'S NAME OR USE FOUL LANGUAGE.

Wes

ps Sorry I didn't think to look at this the first day it was posted. Had too much life to attend to. Feel free to single me out next time you want to slap a wannabee around while sitting on the internet being mad because they took you knowledge and passed the teacher.
Free only gets you so much - if you want to be spoonfed whilst having smoke blown up yer jacksy you have to pay.

And just to clarify - I wrote the above to a) be helpful and b) because I was bored - I could have written more, but I couldn't be arsed .

Nice boat though .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 06:05   #494
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Boulter,

Sure are a lot of lessons to learn!

But, as to the clears in your dodger... it isn't hard to replace them yourself if you have access to even a good home sewing machine.

You will need to measure up the clears and purchase new material (and there are many grades of such, of varying quality, clarity and cost). A chat with a local canvas shop will be informative, and if they are decent folks they will either sell you material or direct you to a source. You will also need some double sided "seam tape", available from most sailcloth vendors (Bainbridge, Contender, or Sailrite in the US). Sailrite can likely supply the clear material as well...

Then you lay the new material over the existing "windows" and mark out the exact edges of the old material onto the new. Cut the shapes out and using the double sided tape, stick the new windows on over the old. Sew around the edges using something on the order of V-92 UV treated thread. You go through both the new and old material. Use a zig-zag stitch if available, but that's not critical... just makes it easier to rip out if you screw something up! Once the new panels are stitched on, carefully cut out the old material, close to the edge of the cloth portion of the dodger.

When we did this job the first time we cut the old material out first... big mistake! It was nearly impossible to get the new stuff sewn in without changing the shape of the cloth. took several iterations and never did really look right after that.

Re-install on boat and enjoy a clearer view of the world.

Cheers,

Jim
great tip jim!

and i would also add it is a good idea when refitting rotted out interiours,ie cabin soles,hatches,doors,head liners,gratings or cushions,sail covers etc,

before taking a hammer or knife to the offending item,try take it out as intact as possible,to use as a template!

you will save a lot of time when it comes to rebuilding it
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:55   #495
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

I know a couple who bought an old 30' sloop (I don't want to be too specific), quit work for a year, put all their savings into making this thing bristol. With zero cruising experience, they planned a circumnavigation. The sort of guy who gets an idea in his head and is instantly sure that he's right and everyone else is mental. To wit -- along the way, he fell under the spell of the Pardeys and deep-sixed his engine and filled in all the thruhulls. He completely re-arranged the interior so that the head opened to the v-berth where he and his wife would sleep while living aboard. Long story short, he almost immediately realized that abandoning the auxillary was a mistake and added a small outboard, which just did not have the ompf. Then he decided the composting head (and sleeping right next to it) was a bad idea. The couple ended up motoring from the yard where they'd spent so many hours fixing the boat to the marina where they planned to live. A week or so later, they suddenly realized they didn't want to sail after all and sold the boat at what I presume was a substantial loss.
__________________

__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.