Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 20:11   #301
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that was johnny cruiser ,he still owes me a bottle of whisky! for pointing him in the right direction,i belive he bought a boat in palma,got quite a few pm from him,last i heard he was visiting anjou in the uk

Hello from Texans in France
After Anjou showed her nice transom on the forum, she got a lot more popular!
__________________

__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 20:16   #302
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
After Anjou showed her nice transom on the forum, she got a lot more popular!
not a bad bowsprit either! http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...jou-23522.html

and her barge project here

Artimis
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 20:25   #303
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I liked your examples. We should have a category alone for just them. I had forgotten most of those. Thanx for the trip down memory lane. I don't see them as Wannabees but rather never was. They're the ones that came on to get attention. Then there are the more covert wannabees with good questions but you find out in about the 30th post that they are not going buy a boat for 15 years.
remember this exhausting thread

Beneteau First
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 21:20   #304
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Franz Maas 37
Posts: 237
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Nothing worthwhile was ever done, without someone first dreaming of doing it. Wannabe-ism is a growth industry. Once, the thought of going offshore was the province of highly experienced mariners with knowledge of astral navigation, and a true, deep understanding of wind, currents and tides. Then GPS arrived.

Once, not so long ago, wannabees needed to make a commitment which was not mitigated by being able to step onto a dock, spiffed up in nice clothing, for a quick walk to the local coffee shop. Then, for the large part, docklines replaced anchors.

Like marriage which these days is more often than not ended through divorce, sailing and voyaging is very easy to get into. It doesn't require the same level of thought; and modern production techniques mean a good boat can be bought for one or two year's salary.

More wannabees, means more failures. Glossy magazines promote an idyllic lifestyle with little responsibility. The reality is different. Wannabees are culled by that realisation.

But one only has to get out there and do it to realise there is still a reasonably high proportion of wannabees who have made the cut and become 'doers'.

The one true benefit of wannabees, it that they buy boats, make 'em decent, fill 'em full of gadgets and gismos, then flog them off when the gloss fades.

There's some great bargains out there!
__________________
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 02:57   #305
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Nothing worthwhile was ever done, without someone first dreaming of doing it. Wannabe-ism is a growth industry. Once, the thought of going offshore was the province of highly experienced mariners with knowledge of astral navigation, and a true, deep understanding of wind, currents and tides. Then GPS arrived.

Once, not so long ago, wannabees needed to make a commitment which was not mitigated by being able to step onto a dock, spiffed up in nice clothing, for a quick walk to the local coffee shop. Then, for the large part, docklines replaced anchors.

Like marriage which these days is more often than not ended through divorce, sailing and voyaging is very easy to get into. It doesn't require the same level of thought; and modern production techniques mean a good boat can be bought for one or two year's salary.

More wannabees, means more failures. Glossy magazines promote an idyllic lifestyle with little responsibility. The reality is different. Wannabees are culled by that realisation.

But one only has to get out there and do it to realise there is still a reasonably high proportion of wannabees who have made the cut and become 'doers'.

The one true benefit of wannabees, it that they buy boats, make 'em decent, fill 'em full of gadgets and gismos, then flog them off when the gloss fades.

There's some great bargains out there!
i've know a few who through great personal sacrifice have spent years building boats,only to launch them,go offshore and scare the bejuzzus out of themselves,and promptly put the boat on the market.
i guess the dream for some is more real than the reality!

who was it said sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 dollar bills!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 03:03   #306
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

When we had a Colvin Gazelle junk rigged schooner, some bloke came down and asked if he could go for a sail because he had spent the last six years building a boat and he thought a junk rig might be the way to go. Of course we said yes, and the day we went out it was just about perfect, 15 to 20 knots and a very calm sea, he was sick as a dog and asked if it was always as rough as this. Turns out that he had never actually been outside and he had wasted all those years building something that he could not cope with, and was going home to sell it.Sad, but a testament to wannabe over reality.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 03:48   #307
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
More wannabees, means more failures. Glossy magazines promote an idyllic lifestyle with little responsibility. The reality is different. Wannabees are culled by that realisation.

But one only has to get out there and do it to realise there is still a reasonably high proportion of wannabees who have made the cut and become 'doers'.

The one true benefit of wannabees, it that they buy boats, make 'em decent, fill 'em full of gadgets and gismos, then flog them off when the gloss fades.

There's some great bargains out there!
Whilst I am sure what you say has some truth in it - nonetheless I think it is based on the premise that those who don't "get out there" and forever are somehow failures.

Although I have no criticism to make of those who do succeed in that ambition and are very happily wandering around the planet by boat "forever" (well, so far ) - nonethless I think they are (and have always been) a minority, in both acheivement and intention.

The majority of folks on boats simply being those who enjoy them, including in home waters - and sometimes that enjoyment includes wandering off for extended periods, whether or not with the vague intention of "forever". But life being the funny bugger it is tends to throw up both curve balls and opportunities - either of which can result in folks coming ashore, including because it is genuinely a better and more fun option for them. Some of course won't be able to make it back ashore, but most people will have some sort of Plan B so a boat does not have to be a one way trip - even if that Plan B is developed late in the day. with it's mother being neccesity .

Failure or Sucess - define it yerself , not have it by defined by others.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 04:32   #308
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Franz Maas 37
Posts: 237
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Whilst I am sure what you say has some truth in it - nonetheless I think it is based on the premise that those who don't "get out there" and forever are somehow failures.
Certainly not my intention to imply that those who want to sail and don't, are failures. There can be many reasons why people don't get out into deep water. Some people just like mucking around with their boats. I know several people who bought boats, spent dollars making them good, then sold them off after having had a jolly good time. Not one of them is a failure.
Priorities change, children get born, people die, careers blossom, dreams change for many reasons. The bottom line must always be the contentment factor. As long as it is high, the world is a wonderful place.
__________________
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 05:02   #309
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
The bottom line must always be the contentment factor. As long as it is high, the world is a wonderful place.


(still struggling with that meself though )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 05:51   #310
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

The contentment Factor, is he related to the seawind Factor?

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 05:54   #311
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Franz Maas 37
Posts: 237
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

^ What?
__________________
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 06:02   #312
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Sorry Auzzee, it was, obviously, a poor attempt at a jest regarding the CF member "Factor" who is the Seawind agent. I shall now get my coat and hat and head home to my cave.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 06:29   #313
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

All those glossy pictures and documentorys on sailing the seven seas,

Are usually in calm tropical lagoons that are so idealic, paradise, etc,

People sailing in 5 metre waves and above, are reserved for the news desk,

People that want to take up sailing are usually under the impression, its a lovely place to sail, The ocean is a flat undulating peacefull place to be relaxing,

It would be magic on a boat out there, Middle of the Pacific, Atlantic, Southern Ocean, Look at all those cruise boats, They do it all the time,

Look at all the brochures the Tour companys put out, Do you ever see one with 10 metre waves crashing over the bows, I dont think so, Hahahahaha,

They also dont advertise that the sea was so bad it smashed out the windows on the tenth floor above sea level, you only get that on the news, when it isnt suppressed,

First time in really big waves, These people have given the sea a big miss, Not their cup of tea,

It certainly takes the wannabe sailors out of them,

Instead of getting people to read books on sailing the seas,

Get them to watch video's on youtube, Sailing in extreme weather, Or the Sydney Hobart race
in extreme weather with 90 foot high seas. Or rounding Cape horn in a sail boat,

There would be a lot less wannabe's thinking of heading out to sea,

It would be, Not on your Nellie, Sonny, I aint going out there,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 06:39   #314
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
All those glossy pictures and documentorys on sailing the seven seas,

Are usually in calm tropical lagoons that are so idealic, paradise, etc,

People sailing in 5 metre waves and above, are reserved for the news desk,

People that want to take up sailing are usually under the impression, its a lovely place to sail, The ocean is a flat undulating peacefull place to be relaxing,

It would be magic on a boat out there, Middle of the Pacific, Atlantic, Southern Ocean, Look at all those cruise boats, They do it all the time,

Look at all the brochures the Tour companys put out, Do you ever see one with 10 metre waves crashing over the bows, I dont think so, Hahahahaha,

They also dont advertise that the sea was so bad it smashed out the windows on the tenth floor above sea level, you only get that on the news, when it isnt suppressed,

First time in really big waves, These people have given the sea a big miss, Not their cup of tea,

It certainly takes the wannabe sailors out of them,

Instead of getting people to read books on sailing the seas,

Get them to watch video's on youtube, Sailing in extreme weather, Or the Sydney Hobart race
in extreme weather with 90 foot high seas. Or rounding Cape horn in a sail boat,

There would be a lot less wannabe's thinking of heading out to sea,

It would be, Not on your Nellie, Sonny, I aint going out there,
even big ships get a wake up call
Cruise Ship In Storm – Cruise Ship Balmoral Hits Rough Seas
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 06:50   #315
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

You dont see any piccys like that in their advertising for cruises,

If they did, they wouldnt have any passengers, hahahahahahaha
__________________

__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.