Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 16:01   #286

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here's the post. I note Atoll gave an example of the type of "wannabe" he was discussing. Some of you newer guys may have missed many of the others that fit Atoll's description.

Off the top of my head there was a guy who had 10K to buy a boat and sail around the world. Another was going to ride a jet ski to the Caribbean. A guy was going to take a Hobie cat and a bicycle from LA to Ecuador or some silly BS, sleeping on the beach. Another had it all figured out that he was going to have several large dogs with him. Still another went from the little powerboat he had to saying he'd be buying one boat after another as forum members commented on this and that. I think he was buying a giant cat when he disappeared. Or a freighter. One poor ol' SOB had only 2 or 3 million on hand ... which boat should he buy?

Wish I could remember more cuz there were some truly strange stuff, and these guys had all the answers. Yeah, one guy was going to sail nonstop around the world just so he could be the first one from his Middle Eastern country to do it. He refused to name his country 'lest someone even nuttier would beat him to it I guess. One guy or gal was going to sail his Mac or Venture or Aquarius (or a boat of that quality) extensively offshore. How about the guy who wanted a large multi so he could take his vast quiver of sailboards? The following week he'd changed his sport to kite sailing because the equipment took up less space.

These are the real wannabees. Can anyone remember other really "great" ones? I like reading more funny stuff than pissy stuff.
I liked your examples. We should have a category alone for just them. I had forgotten most of those. Thanx for the trip down memory lane. I don't see them as Wannabees but rather never was. They're the ones that came on to get attention. Then there are the more covert wannabees with good questions but you find out in about the 30th post that they are not going buy a boat for 15 years.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:02   #287
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts!

Something about your initial post pissed me off. Calling someone you've never met and know nothing about a wannabe can have that effect. And what makes so many of us wannabe's? The fact that we don't post on the forum often enough for you to remember us?

I can't blame the mods for this, on the contrary, I have no doubt they struggle with this issue on an ongoing basis.

Atoll, you can call me a wannabe or anything else you like, and I'll probably get moderated right off of this forum, but if anyone gets the chance to read this, there'll be a large percent that'll agree.
I dont see anywhere where anyone called anyone specifically a wannabe. Alos the predominant opinion on this thread is that wannabe is not an insult anyway.

And as for in-crowd? You are flat wrong. As an ex-moderator myself I have had posts pulled and been moderated, I sometimes deserved it, sometimes not but in no case did I bitch about it.

HTFU...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:07   #288
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
As for people leaving the forum, its most likely they do a quick search when they need something and don't bother posting. If you ask a specific question on here you'll likely get a few helpful quality answers and a whole bunch of nonsense from the peanut gallery (the very vocal minority). I guess the alternative is to go to that forum where its cool to say the F-word a lot, but then its all bs and no quality content. So maybe its better to throw it back at the vocal minority and hope they get the hint.
I am not sure if I am a member of the "in crowd" - if so, no one told me ....but I think I long ago qualified as a member of the Peanut Gallery .

Gotta remember, that this is an internet forum and not an online encyclopedia. and it's Free - and that, as in life, comes with certain catches. IMO CF is pretty much as good as it gets on the useful info vs the jibber jabber ratio - and works more than well enough, except for those who need to be spoonfed.

Have a Banana .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:25   #289

Boat: 36' Cabo Rico Tiburon

Sorry Atoll,
I just checked your link and realised my mistake. For some reason I had it in my head it was you with the useless comment. Appreciate you not jumping down my throat for that. My bad.
You gotta agree that smart arse attempts at humour at other's expense seems to be de rigueur on most forums though. (Mark J's contribution was to fill the void with m&ms) Unhelpful and unfunny. I liken it to stepping in dog ****, it happens sometimes. Wipe it off and keep walking folks. Better to build bridges than walls hey?

otoh Minaret's yarn about the skinny bilge rat gives me my first legitimate reason to post a LOL. I really did too.

Peace and Love
SoulJah
SoulJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:27   #290

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Alright! I confess! I just come here because Aussies are funny, and I need a laugh!

Old 29-09-2012, 16:36   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am not sure if I am a member of the "in crowd" - if so, no one told me ....but I think I long ago qualified as a member of the Peanut Gallery .

Guaranteed not to be a member of the "in crowd" though i have been called a member.Often.

Definite peanut galleryer, i love receiving and giving a good funny insult, provided it is well crafted, and not just purely offensive.

"Smartarse" is my default setting. As if you needed to be told that.

Coops.
Old 29-09-2012, 16:38   #292

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
... but in no case did I bitch about it.

HTFU...
... enuf said.
Old 29-09-2012, 16:47   #293
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJah View Post
Sorry Atoll,
I just checked your link and realised my mistake. For some reason I had it in my head it was you with the useless comment. Appreciate you not jumping down my throat for that. My bad.
You gotta agree that smart arse attempts at humour at other's expense seems to be de rigueur on most forums though. (Mark J's contribution was to fill the void with m&ms) Unhelpful and unfunny. I liken it to stepping in dog ****, it happens sometimes. Wipe it off and keep walking folks. Better to build bridges than walls hey?

otoh Minaret's yarn about the skinny bilge rat gives me my first legitimate reason to post a LOL. I really did too.

Peace and Love
SoulJah
no worries mate,i think it was the light hearted "talk like a pirate day thread" that we swapped a few laugh's in banter!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:55   #294
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here's the post. I note Atoll gave an example of the type of "wannabe" he was discussing. Some of you newer guys may have missed many of the others that fit Atoll's description.

Off the top of my head there was a guy who had 10K to buy a boat and sail around the world. Another was going to ride a jet ski to the Caribbean. A guy was going to take a Hobie cat and a bicycle from LA to Ecuador or some silly BS, sleeping on the beach. Another had it all figured out that he was going to have several large dogs with him. Still another went from the little powerboat he had to saying he'd be buying one boat after another as forum members commented on this and that. I think he was buying a giant cat when he disappeared. Or a freighter. One poor ol' SOB had only 2 or 3 million on hand ... which boat should he buy?

Wish I could remember more cuz there were some truly strange stuff, and these guys had all the answers. Yeah, one guy was going to sail nonstop around the world just so he could be the first one from his Middle Eastern country to do it. He refused to name his country 'lest someone even nuttier would beat him to it I guess. One guy or gal was going to sail his Mac or Venture or Aquarius (or a boat of that quality) extensively offshore. How about the guy who wanted a large multi so he could take his vast quiver of sailboards? The following week he'd changed his sport to kite sailing because the equipment took up less space.

These are the real wannabees. Can anyone remember other really "great" ones? I like reading more funny stuff than pissy stuff.
i think you might have hit the nail on the head!

i tried looking for the crazy round the carib jetskier thread and the american indian who wanted to buy a large cat and grow vegtables on it,whilst sailing round the world,but it seems like the user portal only goes back 500 posts,.

maybe someone else can come up with a link!
Old 29-09-2012, 17:00   #295

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think you might have hit the nail on the head!

i tried looking for the crazy round the carib jetskier thread and the american indian who wanted to buy a large cat and grow vegtables on it,whilst sailing round the world,but it seems like the user portal only goes back 500 posts,.

maybe someone else can come up with a link!
I remember the guy with only 2 or 3 million to spend. Had 4 or 5 expensive cars too.

Must have found a suitable boat and is sailing around the world.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:06   #296
Armchair Bucketeer

Rather annoyingly he probably is .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:07   #297
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I remember the guy with only 2 or 3 million to spend. Had 4 or 5 expensive cars too.

Must have found a suitable boat and is sailing around the world.
that was johnny cruiser ,he still owes me a bottle of whisky! for pointing him in the right direction,i belive he bought a boat in palma,got quite a few pm from him,last i heard he was visiting anjou in the uk

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-73526.html
Old 29-09-2012, 17:15   #298

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

that was johnny cruiser ,he still owes me a bottle of whisky! for pointing him in the right direction,i belive he bought a boat in palma,got quite a few pm from him,last i heard he was visiting anjou in the uk

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-73526.html
Johnny C and Anjou ....perfect.
Old 29-09-2012, 18:46   #299

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

With only 3 or 4 million,, He could have bought a boat and crew, and sailed any where,

With out needing advice on how to sail it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:49   #300

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I dont think Atolls post or thread was offensive in the slightest.

He was merely asking people if they ever got to do what they set out to do, or if they didnt, Why not,

Or what did they end up doing instead,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote