Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 09:01   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

A mechanic of diminutive stature that I know impressed me by climbing down into a hatch I would be terrified to commit my body to. I asked him if he ever got stuck and he told me about climbing into a lazarette and having the lid come down on him. Fortunately he had his cell phone on him and called his brother to rescue him.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:09   #272

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Luckily, the good Lord gave me a healthy fear of tight places.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 11:09   #273

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you too could be part of that crowd if you took a leaf out of souljah's book and posted something positive,instead of negative one liners that really don't show any thing apart from the chip on your shoulder
Maybe someday I will, I usually come to this forum in search of a specific bit of information. I use the search feature, and often I find something helpful and go about my business. The most popular threads are always the ones with a little controversy or conflict. I view them as entertainment only, and I don't see any practical value.

Something about your initial post pissed me off. Calling someone you've never met and know nothing about a wannabe can have that effect. And what makes so many of us wannabe's? The fact that we don't post on the forum often enough for you to remember us?

Although you seem to be fairly adept at staying within the rules of the forum, You're a classic example of a bully. I've never been able to keep quiet when I see a bully in action.

I know several people who used to be on this forum. They didn't leave because they lost their interest in sailing. Many of the threads are dominated by a few (very few) passive aggressive loud mouths who have figured out how to hurl insults without quite crossing the line.

I can't blame the mods for this, on the contrary, I have no doubt they struggle with this issue on an ongoing basis.

Atoll, you can call me a wannabe or anything else you like, and I'll probably get moderated right off of this forum, but if anyone gets the chance to read this, there'll be a large percent that'll agree.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 11:56   #274

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post

Something about your initial post pissed me off. Calling someone you've never met and know nothing about a wannabe can have that effect. And what makes so many of us wannabe's? The fact that we don't post on the forum often enough for you to remember us?

Although you seem to be fairly adept at staying within the rules of the forum, You're a classic example of a bully. I've never been able to keep quiet when I see a bully in action.

I know several people who used to be on this forum. They didn't leave because they lost their interest in sailing. Many of the threads are dominated by a few (very few) passive aggressive loud mouths who have figured out how to hurl insults without quite crossing the line.

I can't blame the mods for this, on the contrary, I have no doubt they struggle with this issue on an ongoing basis.

Atoll, you can call me a wannabe or anything else you like, and I'll probably get moderated right off of this forum, but if anyone gets the chance to read this, there'll be a large percent that'll agree.
I did not see where atoll called anyone in particular a "wannabe". Instead he generalized the term. I think what happened after that is people subconsciously filed themselves as such or defended that they were not. I have no attachment to the term because I come from a place of learning so I can evolve to being a better person, sailor, father, driver and so on.
If you're pissed off, perhaps you have an attachment to something. Could be anger, could be your past, could be anything. I respect most people on this form. Some are serial posters that I don't take too seriously and like you feel it necessary occasionally to say something to them. Not always pretty. Yes, I've been mod'd a few times. The Mods do a good job here...well most of them.... But I don't pull out my blame-thrower and point a finger. If I find myself disgusted with a particular thread, I delete the thread from my list and move on. If what you say is true that CF members leave because of it...so be it. There are lots of forums out there. Perhaps this one will change it's stripes with new members not going the same way I am and I'll leave or even start my own forum, have gobs of advertisers and sail off somewhere...Na...cancel that...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 12:13   #275
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Good news, but then I guess we were all once wannabes; however, I too like to hear from those that started with questions here!
I came in with post number two totally oblivious to any negative connotation for the terrm "wannabe". I remain fond of those that are striving to take on cruising and sailing and I'll continue to expect the best intentions whenever possible.
Old 29-09-2012, 13:18   #276

Checking in still hear.
mbkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 13:29   #277

Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
... Family first, relationship first, boat a distant second.

I think that has taken a lot of pressure off, and whenever there's a problem (and there have been countless problems) we focus on fixing them quickly before anyone gets miserable.

The turning point was deciding to do this five years ago. The hard part is the day-in, day-out reality every day since then. My wife used to say a Mae West quote of "I never said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it."

So far, it's been worth it. The people we've met, the experiences we've had, the way we connect as a family: it's all been amazing. I have a life that is frankly more amazing than I could have ever imagined. I've learned so much about myself, my own abilities, and my humility.
Highlighted this section on my laptop, handed it to my wife to read saying, "This guys got his priorities right."

Tina and I bought our boat 48 hours ago. Are we wannabees? Time tells.. ;-)

S/V GREAT HEART
Gr8Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 13:51   #278

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....
That happens a lot on most forums. People come, ask questions, get a lot of good information...then nothing. Not a thank you, not a kiss my a$$...nothing at all.

I'll admit that I'm a wannabe sailor. I have been since I was in my teens.
Money kept me from my dream, or at least I thought it did. I believed that I needed a big boat, 52-65 foot, to live aboard and sail the world. That's what everyone told me anyway in the pre-internet days. I knew I couldn't afford something like that all at once, so I looked into building my own.

I bought lots of building materials that went to waste because I always underestimated the cost of the complete job.

Later on I discovered Small Boat Journal, and read a story about Sven Yrvind that completely changed my way of thinking.

Still, life and family obligations got in the way of the dream, so it went on the back burner again. After all, you can't sail around the world on a 20 something foot boat with a family, right? (I know better now, but I didn't then.)

Many years passed, and I got my Nomad, had it stolen, and got it back again, a lot worse for wear. Now, it's repair time, but at least I have places like this that I can ask stupid questions and get some good answers. (OK, some smart-a$$ed ones too, but it's all part of the fun!)

Anyway, I'm a wannabe, becoming a gonnabe, then I'll be a dobee (not that kind!)!

I think too many people are just too touchy about being called a wannabe, but it's just like so many have already said, we all started off as wannabees!

Just my 2˘ worth!
Old 29-09-2012, 13:51   #279

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The wannabees just drink enough to bury the shame...
Old 29-09-2012, 14:12   #280

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I did not see where atoll called anyone in particular a "wannabe". Instead he generalized the term. I think what happened after that is people subconsciously filed themselves as such or defended that they were not. I have no attachment to the term because I come from a place of learning so I can evolve to being a better person, sailor, father, driver and so on.
If you're pissed off, perhaps you have an attachment to something. Could be anger, could be your past, could be anything. I respect most people on this form. Some are serial posters that I don't take too seriously and like you feel it necessary occasionally to say something to them. Not always pretty. Yes, I've been mod'd a few times. The Mods do a good job here...well most of them.... But I don't pull out my blame-thrower and point a finger. If I find myself disgusted with a particular thread, I delete the thread from my list and move on. If what you say is true that CF members leave because of it...so be it. There are lots of forums out there. Perhaps this one will change it's stripes with new members not going the same way I am and I'll leave or even start my own forum, have gobs of advertisers and sail off somewhere...Na...cancel that...
This thread has been heavily moderated (and I agree, Mods do a bang up job), so if Atoll had called someone a wannabe you wouldn't find it. People say things that annoy us all the time, thats just part of life, but Atoll asked for a response, so I gave one. Its fun to psychoanalyse statements people make, especially after a few beers, but as I said earlier, threads like this are nothing more than entertainment. So you can speculate about what early childhood event caused me to be an angry malcontent, perhaps I was breast fed till I was eight or was raised by a pack of wolves or something. Its more likely I had a spare moment and there was nothing good on television.

As for people leaving the forum, its most likely they do a quick search when they need something and don't bother posting. If you ask a specific question on here you'll likely get a few helpful quality answers and a whole bunch of nonsense from the peanut gallery (the very vocal minority). I guess the alternative is to go to that forum where its cool to say the F-word a lot, but then its all bs and no quality content. So maybe its better to throw it back at the vocal minority and hope they get the hint.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:13   #281
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

914-how far south ye gonna go this year??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:15   #282

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians

Here's the post. I note Atoll gave an example of the type of "wannabe" he was discussing. Some of you newer guys may have missed many of the others that fit Atoll's description.

Off the top of my head there was a guy who had 10K to buy a boat and sail around the world. Another was going to ride a jet ski to the Caribbean. A guy was going to take a Hobie cat and a bicycle from LA to Ecuador or some silly BS, sleeping on the beach. Another had it all figured out that he was going to have several large dogs with him. Still another went from the little powerboat he had to saying he'd be buying one boat after another as forum members commented on this and that. I think he was buying a giant cat when he disappeared. Or a freighter. One poor ol' SOB had only 2 or 3 million on hand ... which boat should he buy?

Wish I could remember more cuz there were some truly strange stuff, and these guys had all the answers. Yeah, one guy was going to sail nonstop around the world just so he could be the first one from his Middle Eastern country to do it. He refused to name his country 'lest someone even nuttier would beat him to it I guess. One guy or gal was going to sail his Mac or Venture or Aquarius (or a boat of that quality) extensively offshore. How about the guy who wanted a large multi so he could take his vast quiver of sailboards? The following week he'd changed his sport to kite sailing because the equipment took up less space.

These are the real wannabees. Can anyone remember other really "great" ones? I like reading more funny stuff than pissy stuff.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:16   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You are correct, people say things that annoy others all the time, sometimes it's the person saying it that annoys and not the content. My posts tend to be 90% "fluff", just something that i find funny and hope that someone else gets a chuckle out of it. Every now and then i can help with info, but most folks on here seem to have a good knowledge bank of hints and tips that far outreach mine.

Vocal minorities are the lifeblood of forums, you may not agree with some of the stuff that they say, or even why they say it so often, but it leads to the topic going off on a tangent sometimes, which brings forth more discussion, which means that there is more to peruse, More people looking, for longer, means more interest from sponsors etc, and the whole thing remains viable.

I think that this is a superb forum, moderated well, with diverse characters and differing levels of skill and mindsets. The main problem seems to occur from people assuming that their way is the only way. Good if you can believe it, but not a good way to learn things.

Enough of me wittering on now, enjoy yourselves, keep laughing and keep posting.

Coops.
Old 29-09-2012, 15:19   #284

Boat: Owens

Somebody didn't quite get their nap out today.

Wannabe would be an overly generous description of me as I don't know how to sail yet. Nevertheless, I'm restoring an old POC boat, learning how to rig it, and eventually learning how to sail it. Cruising? Not for at least 12 years, my ties to dirt run deep but I'm starting to untie those knots now.

Sailing lessons soon, splash and hoist laundry after that. Will I even like it? Who knows and who cares. When I finish this boat and learn a thing or two some lucky person is going to receive my current project complete and in perfect order free of charge. If I like sailing I'll go purchase my next vessel a whole lot wiser for the experience of restoring this one.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:36   #285
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

great posts guys,nothing like a bit of controversy to keep the juices flowing!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote