Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 16:47   #151

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Seems like there is something that could be done to rectify the problem in the future some how.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 17:00   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Seems like there is something that could be done to rectify the problem in the future some how.
something along these lines might work

Pacific Voyagers | Move your paddle silently through the water
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 17:02   #153

Boat: Heritage East 40
We have bought the boat in May and have spent the summer repairing a finicky stbd engine, replacing all sewage hose, replaced all heads. Removed the old radar and radome and installed new, removed 2 VHF radios and installed new, repaired a leaking upper helm, and removed and replaced all thru hulls. In the downtime we also repaired canvas and refurbished bright work. All while dodging a hurricane. We are getting there. We have cruised every weekend even if only short outings and we are becoming familiar with linehandling and docking as well as the quirks of our boat.

I don't know which category we fall in but the house is in the market and we spend every weekend on the boat.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 17:08   #154

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

What happened to this wannabe??? Currently 6 months into this year's cruise in the Indian Ocean...

Well... the new motor is excellent, ordered a new crankshaft from Australia, MB in Canberra, so they dipped into their lucky dip parts bin and sent me the wrong crankshaft, did not have the correct one in stock, and all the wrong bearings etc... So, I ended up putting the original crank back in with one very undersized bearing on num1 big end journal.

Motor is running sweetly, still smokes at low revs under load, but under full throttle there is no smoke at all. Has mot used a drop of oil in 2 months of motor sailing. Solar panels are the best, batteries are always full by midday, new mppt tracker voltage controller is wonderful.

Have had the 2 wind gennies tied off permantly!!! No need for more power, even under full cloud, sold one of the three panels from China, as not needed!!

Trip across the Malaccan straits was a dream, waited in Phuket for good weather and started out into head winds and very rough conditions. But, after 8 hours of bashing it turned to glass for 2 days. Even getting around the top of Sumatra was easy, except for the 8 knot tidal stream around the the very tip of Sumatra. Refueled in Bandah Aceh and got sim cards for phone and net, then pushed off!

Lovely sail down to the Banyaks, stopped at Sinabang, on Semilue island, literally, due to all fuel filters blocked, sailed into the anchorage at town and refueled. Got monstered by the Harbour master, so cleared off and lobbed in Palau Banyaks the next morning to glorious surf.

Had the police aboard, with pistols, looking for "criminals" and paperwork, no payment, no sunglasses, grog etc. They went onto the charter boat next door with 4 shooters holding 4 15mm automatic assault rifles and demanded money, got several million rupiah, repeated this around the bay, once at 2am in the morning!!!

Then the harbour master demanding papers!! But I have not checked in yet!!! HE left after threats, it was getting late and he had a 90 minute speedboat run back to Balaii, another island.

Anyway, had 3 weeks of glorious surf, firght handers, huge left handers at Lolock point!!! But the new crew decided to play up. So I hightailed it to Sumatra and checked in yesterday and got him a visa for 2 months. Will see him off the boat today??

Now, refueling and reprovisioning and fixing broken prop from yesterday from debris in the harbour. Then off toNias, Lagundri bay for 3 weeks, then Asu, Bawa, Afulu, back to the Banyaks, then back to Sibolga to check out and sail back to Phuket in mid to late November. Will pick up a new crew in Sibolga?

Leave the boat in Thailand this time.

Fair winds from Keith....
Old 24-09-2012, 17:10   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
We have bought the boat in May and have spent the summer repairing a finicky stbd engine, replacing all sewage hose, replaced all heads. Removed the old radar and radome and installed new, removed 2 VHF radios and installed new, repaired a leaking upper helm, and removed and replaced all thru hulls. In the downtime we also repaired canvas and refurbished bright work. All while dodging a hurricane. We are getting there. We have cruised every weekend even if only short outings and we are becoming familiar with linehandling and docking as well as the quirks of our boat.

I don't know which category we fall in but the house is in the market and we spend every weekend on the boat.
definitely of the "having fun fixing boat in exotic locations!" catergory,thanks for posting
Old 24-09-2012, 17:29   #156
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
If we never make it out of our "wannabe" status and just continue our coastal type cruising, I'll still be a happy man.
Good attitude!

When I went to scuba instructor school, they told us that students would always ask us about the deepest we'd ever dove, and that the only acceptable answer was, "Too deep." Nowadays, however, the first thing anyone ever asks when they see my boat is how far I've taken it. My answer, "Far enough."
Old 24-09-2012, 17:42   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
caught any fish lately with our special technique!

viewers might want to skip the middle bit,or skip the whole thing if bad language offends.......... the clip is of things blokes on on long passages do for entertainment!

Damn. I really wanted to see how many different ways you two could prepare that tuna.
Old 24-09-2012, 17:50   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Damn. I really wanted to see how many different ways you two could prepare that tuna.
in hindsight it was probably a really good thing we never landed it,a 100 kg tuna thrashing around in the cockpit would probably destroyed a 33 footer
Old 24-09-2012, 17:54   #159

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I agree with you. Being called a "wannabe" is never really a compliment, although I don't know that the OP meant it to be that way. I really prefer "newbie."

Here's what I found as the first entry in a Google search:

"
  1. wan·na·be/ˈwänəbē/

Noun:derogatory. A person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people: "a star-struck wannabe".More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary"
While I can see the OP meant it harmlessly I do agree that the strict definition of the term is derogatory. As I have stated above, my experience is that many of the so-called "wannabes" are more likely to have "fallen in battle" and therefore deserve a bit more respect.
Old 24-09-2012, 18:26   #160
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
While I can see the OP meant it harmlessly I do agree that the strict definition of the term is derogatory. As I have stated above, my experience is that many of the so-called "wannabes" are more likely to have "fallen in battle" and therefore deserve a bit more respect.
True. And let's not forget that a large number of "Wannabes" self-identify as such in the "Meets and Greets" forum. As do "noobies."
Old 24-09-2012, 18:37   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
True. And let's not forget that a large number of "Wannabes" self-identify as such in the "Meets and Greets" forum. As do "noobies."
+1 irrespective of how members refer to themselves it is really great to hear back from members and how their sailing plans have evolved, trials and tribulations,feat's and adventures,it all makes great reading
Old 24-09-2012, 18:57   #162

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

What happens to all the wannabees?
Either:
1. They never leave the dock
2. They find themselves offshore on a dark night 300 miles from help and realize that they are way in over their heads. When the sun (if lucky) peeks over the horizon, they either turn around to head back and sell the boat, or they realize the sun was the most beautiful sight they ever saw and want to see tomorrows too.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 20:18   #163

I think we will all fade away. Some fade back into a land based life, some fade into other hobbies, and some fade into the ocean without the time or interest to surf the internet. That is my goal...finally get the kids through college, save enough money to shove off and fade away into the deep blue sea. My wife is addicited to face book, I read CF. Who knows if while I'm out cruising if I will have the time or inclination to continue reading and posting. I'm still a total Newb/noob. Yes I looked for years, read about it for years, did very little actual sailing and just recently bought a boat. Yes, I ignored a bunch of advice about starting small and working my way up, but after all my research I was very comfortable with my decision. And boy am I living the results of that decision. But I like to work on the boat and as of two weekends ago actually got to go sail her. I've learned I'm happiest when I have a project. So I'm looking forward to learning the ropes with some winter sailing on the Chesapeake while I continue to fix her up. Learning a lot! The best part for me is the fact that it is pretty much something that the family is centered around now. No more wondering what to do on the weekends, no more deciding what to spend extra cash on, no debates about family vacations...now all the same answer..the Boat! I'm still employed, still working and who knows maybe next year I'll have to move to the center of the country away from the boat. The good thing is I don't have a set time frame or any specific goals about living on the hook or sailing around the world. My plan is to have fun and if or when it stops being that I will back up and adjust.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:18   #164

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I guess that some would say I'm one of your classic wannabees. I bought a boat over 6 years ago, but here I am - still land-bound. I had all the intentions of spending a couple or 3 years years fixing her up and then off into the wild blue yonder. So, it hasn't happened. Life, I guess, got in the way. When I bought the boat I was a bachelor. Now I am married with 2 kids - 1 live-at-home in university, 1 live at home unemployed. Kinda muddies the water somewhat when it comes to living that dream.

Having said that, I (or more accurately "we" since my wonderful wife is in this 100%) still pursue the dream. We have done a lot of work on the boat (as has been documented elsewhere on this site). The boat was hardly the typical ideal boat for long term, live-aboard, blue-water cruising, but it is what we have and it is bought and paid for.

We do use the boat lots too. Sure - not exactly "blue-water cruising" nor full time liveaboard either. The longest "cruise" we have been on so far is only 11 days and the furthest we have taken the boat from its berth is only about 280 nautical miles, but even so, we are using the boat most weekends.

It will probably be another 2 to 3 years before we can realistically live aboard and set sail... the kids should be financially and physically independent by then, we will have a little more money in the cruising kitty and some paid leave stored up to make the first few months less daunting. We still need to complete the galley refit and a good few other jobs too.

Yeah, so wannabees still, but moving in the right direction.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:43   #165

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Yeah well, I suppose that's the equivalent of the time I joking used the term "Pollack", my father being Polish and my name on my birth certificate having an extra Z and W? Only difference is I got reprimanded by the CF moderators! Likewise, the Australian sense of humour and lighthearted use of the same term over here was no excuse either.

Sorry if it seems like I am trying to soil the thread. It just seems to me that different rules apply to others around here?

Well before this becomes an out of control distraction I hope you can all get back to the original question.