Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 08:34   #16

Re: What else to watch?

Catamaran Impi, is high on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
https://www.facebook.com/cat.impi?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

This is a couple from South Africa, sailing a Lagoon 44 by themselves. They post videos to Youtube and ask nothing in return.

I like them because, not only are they showing some very interesting and unique places, they also show the trials and tribulations they run into while sailing. They have videos about boat equipment problems and repairs, along with "how to's" for such things as route planning and dealing with weather systems as the go.

James
Working on my retirement dream, just need to launch the kids first.
James McM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 09:05   #17

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
I only donate to videos that accept bitcoin as it is much quicker than credit card forms and avoids any risk of ID theft but haven't seen one on a sailing video yet :-(

Btw, I'm doubting those numbers quoted.

I donated a beer in bitcoin to Delos about a year ago. So you have no excuse any more 😀

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 09:16   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I've binge watched S/V Delos on youtube, and religiously catch the new episodes on Fridays.

And I've just gotten finished binge watching S/V La Vagabonde and I'm all caught up and awaiting their new episodes as well.

I'm going to go back and binge watch the Monday Never duo tonight, but I'm wondering what other sailing vessels do you guys watch?
Now just imagine if instead of watching all the beer drinking, self appointed sailing movie stars, you get a second job (or first), you would realize your dream sooner. Hell...drop 15 feet off you boat expectations and you could be there even faster.
On a side note, I was completely disgusted when I saw a sliver of an episode where one of the beautiful people on Delos was thanking contributors for his beer and to please keep it coming. I've never seen such a bunch of narcissistic brats in my life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 10:03   #19

Boat: 56' Challenger

There's also White Spot Pirate, I follow her too. (Along with La Vagabonde, Delos, DrakeParagon)

We have a documentary series too, but we're only on Episode 3, so not great for binging yet... it would be pretty fast.
imasailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:11   #20

Boat: Alberg #0

[QUOTE=sailormed;2201859]I donated a beer in bitcoin to Delos about a year ago. So you have no excuse any more 😀

Oh, I'll check them out. Do they put a qr code at the end of their videos? or do you have to visit their website?

A global currency for global cruisers just makes sense :-)
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:19   #21

Boat: Lots of boats.

Accidental Sailor Girl, Love her innocence and positive attitude. Its also done multiple times a week. Shaun and Julia Sailing, quality improves with every video. Has added parting commentary that actually makes you think about life. Keep TurningLeft, love seeing Great Britain from the water, although they seem to be taking a break. Others, prefer real people on smaller boats to 60-70 footers with unlimited budgets.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:40   #22

Untie the lines. Every Friday. Lots of repair a little sailing. Kind of like real life if your lucky.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:40   #23

Boat: Union cutter 33

i can.t believe people give money to watch others on a permanent vacation and thats how these kids can afford it..unbelievable
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:40   #24

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys
Yes. The SV Lavagabonde, and SV Delos crews film their ventures and create 15 to 30 minute episodes each week. "Patrons" or fans of their channels used the Patreon.com website and pledge certain amounts of dollars per video.

The SV Delos makes about $5K per episode, and the SV Lavagabonde makes about $7K per episode. All of their videos are loaded on youtube and are available to watch for free, so the money they make is strictly donations from people who are inspired by their journeys.
This does not count their "beer money" or T-Shirt sales and other forms of income. As with OCC during the chopper craze, they make a good portion of their income from other venues.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Now just imagine if instead of watching all the beer drinking, self appointed sailing movie stars, you get a second job (or first), you would realize your dream sooner. Hell...drop 15 feet off you boat expectations and you could be there even faster.
On a side note, I was completely disgusted when I saw a sliver of an episode where one of the beautiful people on Delos was thanking contributors for his beer and to please keep it coming. I've never seen such a bunch of narcissistic brats in my life.
I see you haven't run out of ugly pills yet.

SV La Vagabonde

200,000 subscribers on Youtube
1,000,000 plus views of some of their stuff.
1000 plus people voluntarily pay them something per video or month because they appreciate the videos they get to watch.

They're all wrong and your right

Narcissistic brats with a business plan. Who'd have thought?
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 13:25   #26

Boat: Catamaran 17 mts one off

Here is another one on YouTube being done by one of my crew, (n-irgendwo.de) I think that she is doing a good job.
Phil Lacey on board my sailing cat Big Bandicoot in Gibraltar stocking up for the trip over the Atlantic later on in the year.
philip.cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 13:50   #27
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

So...what is the point of all these? You watch a bunch of folk sailing and reporting back either it's rain, how sunny wonderful it is, or what they're eating, interposed with bottom cleaning, one or two swimming montages?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 14:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I too used to follow Fatty until I read of him proudly boasting about ripping off another yottie for their spinnaker pole - basically stole it. Read the confession and how he bragged about it. I really lost faith in him after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To be brutally honest... None.
To busy doing my own delivery sailing and refit of my own boat to bother about 'Fund Me' You Tube's..'
Before all this Blog **** kicked off however I was a fan of Fatty Goodlanders monthly column in the sailing mag's.
Now there's a real sailor.. down and dirty.. none of this glamour and ******** about imagined pirates.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 14:03   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

For me, Salty, is that I have never been to the South Pacific and the video clips are luring me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
So...what is the point of all these? You watch a bunch of folk sailing and reporting back either it's rain, how sunny wonderful it is, or what they're eating, interposed with bottom cleaning, one or two swimming montages?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 14:12   #30

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I've enjoyed Teleport-especially the photography of NW Passage (once they get going)
Mind boggling that they made the trip in such a decrepit little boat.

/ Len