Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-03-2013, 23:38   #31

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

I've been using my boats as stepping stones. My first boat washed out of a swamp when I was 6yrs old with a tree growing out of the centerboard trunk. I cleaned it up, found the original owner, traded him for the rigging and rudder and sailed that disintegrating boat until I was 15 and even the foam finally sank.

My next boat was a bay sailor I bought from a neighbor for 25 cents. I learned how to weld by fixing the trailer, learned all sorts of awful lessons about how to repair fiberglass, and learned the difference between lake sailing and bay sailing.

I learned more about getting the various systems on a sailboat working and finally started harbor hopping with my Grampian. Now I'm living on the Grampian and working almost daily on a full keel 1920's 28ft wood sloop. If I'm very luck, I'll get her done, sell the Grampian, and be able to take my Grandfather sailing down south before he gets too old. Here's hoping.

Old 04-03-2013, 00:00   #32

Boat: naver 29
Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

in 5 years or so,when our youngest son is at least 5 we'd like to take off for at least 12 months to the pacific,carribean or med,buy the boat wherever we plan to sail,in the mean time i've got to build a house,sell it,build another(hopefully the mortgage is gone or almost gone by this stage.learn to sail,do a few charters gain experience,maybe get a small boat and sail at weekends etc etc
here's my pacific places to visit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	56124  
Attached Files
File Type: kmz GoogleEarth_Placemark.kmz (690 Bytes, 37 views)

Old 04-03-2013, 00:02   #33

Boat: Westerly Centaur

I had a boat and a plan to go with it. As I was moving it down the Rappahanock to it's new home at the marina, I had serious doubts about both me and the boat. I eventually moved aboard to get started on preparing it for myself and my girlfriend to live aboard and work our way to the Bahamas. I'd only been pottering around on it a month, just trying to gauge where everything was going to go and what repairs I should make, when I got the dreaded call. " Come home I'm having heart problems".
Game pretty much ended there last October, but I' hoping the girlfriends next hospital visit this month will sort her issues and get us back on track. If not there will be a pretty little old Centaur for sale in a couple of months and a heartbroken me waving it goodbye.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12   #34

Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat

My plan was to reach amsterdam before the winter and spain come spring. That didnt work out... so..

Get the new motor in (volvo MD7), Get new sails: main, genoa and drifter, and sail the baltic/scandinavian seas. Sometime later , when I feel like it, down europe.. After the med , I would really like to see the luminous algae in that bay on one of the canary islands.

When Im there, I guess it will be difficult not to cross the pond. But Im NEVER going to the united states of amnesia! I guess that makes cruising the carribian a bit harder, but so be it.

All plans are open for change anyway, I just want to see the bigger picture.

If I ever sail the full circle , I hope it takes 10 years at least. There is nothing more pointless than a non stop circumnavigation. To sail nonstop for months and months.. and when you finally arrive , you are back to square one! I love the sea , but Im cruising to see places and meet people.

.manitu
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

Boat refit this winter (progressing well if expensively)
Retire next year
Mediterranean for a year
then start moving west possibly down to Brazil and then to WIndies or directly to WIndies, then Panama, Galapagos, Easter Island, Pitcairn, Polynesia and eventually Aus west coast.

Would like a crew with similar dreams
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37   #36

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

I'm in Afghanistan, my wife is in Costa Rica (I drew the short straw). We just bought a boat in Florida. I will find out in May if it is a diamond in the rough or a piece of coal
My brother just offered me a nice Bauer 10 sailing dinghy for a tender and even offered to tow it down from NJ
The Earthship house that I built in Colorado is under contract
I will spend 10 days working on the boat in May and planning the refit which will start full time in December. I will be installing a large LifeP04 battery bank and more solar panels to support a liveaboard lifestyle using a minimum of fossil fuels. I'm basing the refit schedule and cost on "two weeks" as in the movie "The Money Pit". I plan to take all of next year off and divide it between Costa Rica and living on the boat. How much of that time will be on the water is an unknown at this time...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:50   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I have been there done that, why back !! did the Atlantic, did the Pacific, did the Med, but never did the RTW! never saw the need !! Now we just want to go to warm places south of us! and spend our nights swinging on the hook again! no plan no time to be anywhere !! Just want to go day to day !! We are way to old to have any kind of plan !!!
From one old fart to another: Way to go, Bob! That sure sounds like our "plan". The summer (which has been extraordinary) in Tasmania is drawing to a close and we'll be heading North towards the sun soon. Exactly when, exactly where, exactly what route... who knows? Who cares?

I doubt if we will ever cross wakes with you and Connie, Bob, but we are with you in spirit and intentions.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

After 5 years full time in the Med, all plans are now "etched in sand at low tide" .

We go where the wind takes us if we have the desire to move when we wake up, although we expect to eventually cross the pond and slowly make our way to NZ.

If guests are ever expected, we tell them to just book a flight to Europe and we then let them know a week or two beforehand where they need to organise a connecting flight/ferry to reach us for their 'mystery holiday'. It removes a hell of a lot of stress .

Edited to add: I was writing as Jim posted. Seems there are a few of us out here with the same idea .
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50   #39

After 12 years aboard and quite a lot of sea miles we have returned to our home port for an overhaul, new hips for me, new upholstery for the boat!

The plan is to make ourselves even more self-sufficient for our next adventure. Install a wood burning stove that has an oven so we no longer have to rely on propane, get rid of all power hungry demands from the sailboat, no chartplotter, refrigerator or auto-pilots(well they have mostly gone already).

Then sail away again to the remoter parts of our planet, the central coast of Chile maybe cruise the Pacific rim via Kamchatka and the Aleutians and keep on going...........

Wish us luck that plate of jelly just won't set!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18   #40

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk
get rid of all power hungry demands from the sailboat, no chartplotter, refrigerator or auto-pilots(well they have mostly gone already).

Then sail away again to the remoter parts of our planet, the central coast of Chile maybe cruise the Pacific rim via Kamchatka and the Aleutians and keep on going...........

Wish us luck that plate of jelly just won't set!
Good luck! Nice choices for the future! BUT NO AUTOPILOTS?? Really??

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Good luck! Nice choices for the future! BUT NO AUTOPILOTS?? Really??

Yup! Really!
Haven't had a functioning one for over five years now and don't miss them a bit. Have a Monitor which does a better job than we do and as part of the low-energy policy will only motor rarely, in fact haven't refilled our fuel tank in nearly a year, and it's still 3/4 full!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
. What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

To keep voyaging!

It might sound stupid, but if its difficult to get cruising initially, its damn difficult to keep on cruising!

The problems are different, but very real... Most folks woes are from buying the wrong type of boat first off, underestimation of budget required, constant maintenance, old parents at home, kids at home, living within 40 feet of ones partner, investments back home, unrealistic expectations of cruising.... Health, age, syphilis....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

*) beat our previous record of 72 days offshore,
*) make another rtw, Eastwards this time,
*) spend one winter icebound,
*) explore West Indies locations we have not been to yet,
*) linger in the N Pacific,
*) circumnavigate Australia,
*) cruise Bothnia Havet,
b) get our ship to Bristol condition and keep her in our garden ever after.

No particular order, except b.

b.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
......its damn difficult to keep on cruising!
The problems are different, but very real... Most folks woes are from buying the wrong type of boat first off, underestimation of budget required, constant maintenance, old parents at home, kids at home, living within 40 feet of ones partner, investments back home, unrealistic expectations of cruising.... Health, age, syphilis....
Mark
Is penicillin not available in the Caribbean LOL?
Need some sent from Greece?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

lol.....
continue to refit boat until there is nothing huge gonna sink me anymore then continue on to visit more magical places..yes i found a few so far....
mebbe someday i might find someone wants to cruise with me and bubba..never know..lol
plans written in liquid jello....wherever the wind actually blows....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dreams, Hopes, Plans, Vague Intentions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: