Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 10:21   #1

pirate Wanted: Some happy boat insurance stories

Hi all

We are currently reviewing our insurance for the next two years when we will be passaging out of the Med to Canary islands, then Caribbean and Pacific to New Zealand.

We are very happy with our current insurer Pantaenius but would like to know who else out there is providing great service and know what they are doing.

We are a 42ft sloop. Does anyone have any hot tips?
Old 28-03-2014, 10:31   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Wanted: Some happy boat insurance stories

I insured both of my last two vessels with Cox Insurance out of Southern CA. One was sail the other power. Never had any claims but their rates were reasonable and service couldn't be beat. We cruised both boats to Mexico and the power boat as far north as Alaska from San Diego. I was a licensed skipper at the time which probably helped with the rate. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 14:42   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I can't recommend my agent enough. Pantaenius wasn't an option in the Caribbean so I went with Falvey. While in the Caribbean the insurance was expensive but carried a reasonable Named Storm deductible. Since moving to the Med my cost has decreased 70%. Also because the boat is laid up for 9 months. I would suggest you contact:
Bill Porter
Account Manager
Toll Free 888-666-2250
Direct: 954-568-7804
Fax: 954-563-2367
Visit us at www.Kolischmarine.com
Old 28-03-2014, 15:13   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Based on your travel, you insurance price will change drastically as you move across the Atlantic.

In the Caribbean Sea, rates will be much higher, unless you promise to be out of the hurricane zone during the season, which usually means going above 30.5 N or around the Georgia/Florida border or going south to at least Panama.

Once you cross the Canal, prices will go down again, until you cross the Pacific. Then they might increase once you in the South Pacific.

With all of this said I would strongly suggest you find a good Insurance Broker and have them shop you insurance as you travel.

Also remember that the cheapest policy in not always the best. The best recommendations will come from fellow cruisers that have had to file claims with their insurance companies.

From our experience, we have heard horror stories of cruisers who went with the cheap bid, only to find out when they filed a claim the company wouldn't pay or took to long to pay.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 20:19   #5

Boat: Hobie 17 + Hobie AI... And Gemini 105MC

I agree with the idea to get a good insurance broker that can find a plan that caters to your trip... I've had a great experience with Anthony Ballinger! He finds the plan that's right for you and is ALWAYS available. Luckily only one claim so far, but it was a refreshingly easy experience. I put his contact info below. He's a super down to earth guy and has been nothing but honest and helpful to me. Good luck!

Anthony Ballinger

Coastal Insurance
Linton Towers
100 E Linton Blvd Suite 152A
Delray Beach FL 33483
Phone 561-305-2540
Fax 888-887-8988
www.mycoastalins.com

www.coastallifeinsurance.com

-Brian
Old 31-03-2014, 12:13   #6

Based on personal experience, I know that, depending on the value of your boat, Pantaenius America quotes worldwide, including the Caribbean. Be aware that there are Pantaenius offices around the globe, each with varying abilities to quote, so maybe Palarran contacted an office other than Pantaenius America?
sailingpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 15:51   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpeach View Post
Based on personal experience, I know that, depending on the value of your boat, Pantaenius America quotes worldwide, including the Caribbean. Be aware that there are Pantaenius offices around the globe, each with varying abilities to quote, so maybe Palarran contacted an office other than Pantaenius America?
I deleted the quote because it was quite a long time ago but the problem with Pantaenius was keeping the boat in the box and the deductible. If I remember right it is 30% of hull value for named storm damage. And, in the end, Favley was less. I've never had a claim so can't vouch for their response but it seems like a fairly large company.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00   #8

With all due respect, I must clarify these above-mentioned misconceptions.

Pantaenius America has never attached 30% of any hull value to a Named Tropical Storm deductible. Furthermore, you can usually expect 10% or less of the hull value to reflect the Named Tropical Storm Plan deductible.

In addition, Pantaenius America does not have a hurricane box.
CruisingEnsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:29   #9

To everyone who has replied to this thread - a huge thank you. There is nothing like picking the brains of other cruisers for getting results. We will check out Pantaenius America for a quote but have been told that as Kiwis (from New Zealand) we have to get our insurance through Pantaenius Australia. A couple of the undesirable aspects of the policy being offered is the deductible which is AUD6800 (USD6290) from the moment we leave the Mediterranean to the moment we cross 30 deg north of New Zealand. In particular lightning strike although covered, wears this large deductible which would probably almost cover the electronic damage.

Tags
insurance, wanted