Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 20:13   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Virgin islands salvage vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Well, he also said he knew all the downfalls, which he doesn't, and he also is not up to date on the situation on the ground. So, I think the few folks that have commented are trying to help, and may have done so.
While I think it was helpful bringing him up to date on the ground which was the type of information he was asking for, he was specifically not asking for the downfalls, you are assuming he doesn’t know. You or I do not know what he knows or doesn’t.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 01:01   #17

Boat: Oyster 55

I've just come from Tortola. There are a dozen boats tied up at Wickham's Cay that someone was given in return for removing them from where they were. They might be for sale, but don't expect any bargains. There is still one sunken there with it's mast above water. You could probably have it for the effort to remove it, but if it were economically feasible to do restore it, someone would have gotten it already. In Trellis Bay there are nine and a half boats abandoned on the beach. If you can locate the owners, you could ask them how much they would pay you to take them away. There is a reason that they are still unclaimed after all these months.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 07:02   #18

Boat: Hunter 30

Contrail answered most if not all of my inquiry.

I appreciate all answers. I have a good place to start and ask questions with marinas and yards there

It all started because someone showed me a helia 44 for 30k asking.
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Typically, this thread has drifted into comments the OP specifically requested not be made. He doesn’t want sermons on the downfalls of boat restorations. We have had these countess times before.
I don't want to be lectured about physics, I simply need someone to help me design and build a square wheel.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I don't want to be lectured about physics, I simply need someone to help me design and build a square wheel.
I am a shipwright. This isnt my first boat, not even my 5th. I have funds to pour into parts and I also possess the labor required.

My inquiry is of geographical needs, I'm not presently in the Caribbean, though I am close (Florida).

As I've stated, I'm not looking for answers to questions I didn't ask. More or less a layup of what the current situation is 20 months later. Economically even, curious to what was going on. Which leads to contrail being the most informative.

There are at least a dozen to 2 dozen vessels listed, albeit at egregious prices, but I was more so curious to what it was like as stated its been nearly two years and I expected this bubble surfaced and popped.

46 benetau that was submerged and demasted going for 5k as we speak. 44 helia at 30k asking. The list goes on.

Again, thanks for all that answered.
Old 23-05-2019, 08:35   #21

We were chartering for the first time in the BVIs in February. We saw a few wrecks in Tortola, even some masts sticking up in the water, but that country is so focused on boats, charters and the related tourism that I can easily imagine that every salvageable boat has long since been scooped up. There might be a new market in the first wave of dreamers who are now walking away from their salvage attempts.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We were chartering for the first time in the BVIs in February. We saw a few wrecks in Tortola, even some masts sticking up in the water, but that country is so focused on boats, charters and the related tourism that I can easily imagine that every salvageable boat has long since been scooped up. There might be a new market in the first wave of dreamers who are now walking away from their salvage attempts.
This was kind of what I was maybe hoping for as well. Someone to pop up and be like, "....actually"

The focal point should be this ;

I'm not looking for a bunch of vessels, just one.
Old 23-05-2019, 13:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
I am a shipwright. This isnt my first boat........................
The comment wasn't actually directed at you. Though the additional information does change things slightly. It is more addressed at how you really can't control the direction of conversation on a forum, and a bit a cautionary tale on how the responses are a direct result of the amount of information initially provided.

When you're the 100th person to come along with the same thread and roughly the same paragraph.......it is what it is.

Take that which is helpful, cache what is interesting, ignore what is not.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 13:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The comment wasn't actually directed at you. Though the additional information does change things slightly. It is more addressed at how you really can't control the direction of conversation on a forum, and a bit a cautionary tale on how the responses are a direct result of the amount of information initially provided.

When you're the 100th person to come along with the same thread and roughly the same paragraph.......it is what it is.

Take that which is helpful, cache what is interesting, ignore what is not.
Ah! I understand how forums can be and such. I'm between boats and like I said prior, it shocked me these vessels are still around. But remembering the events I'm not terribly surprised.

Also if you don't know, and you don't ask, you definitely won't know anything further. The purpose of this was scope. And the hopeful "I've got a 50 foot benetau I can't give away"
Old 27-05-2019, 06:47   #25

If your looking for a boat to salvage, there are many on the intercoastal from Miami north if all you want is a hull. There are a lot of complete boats and you don't have to ship back to Florida.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:56   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

There are still some boats to be had on the beach at Trellis Bay f.
\rom the government for the price of removal.
There are also a couple of wrecks moored in Trellis Bay.
There is also a guy named Chris, owner of Commercial Divers in Village Cay. I believe many of the hurricane wrecked boats anchored off Village Cay are owned by him. If they are not owned by him then by the insurance comp.
Good luck
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 08:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
If your looking for a boat to salvage, there are many on the intercoastal from Miami north if all you want is a hull. There are a lot of complete boats and you don't have to ship back to Florida.
Im not far from Miami, but what resources can I utilize other than knocking on boats and seeing if anyone is home lol?
Old 27-05-2019, 08:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
There are still some boats to be had on the beach at Trellis Bay f.
\rom the government for the price of removal.
There are also a couple of wrecks moored in Trellis Bay.
There is also a guy named Chris, owner of Commercial Divers in Village Cay. I believe many of the hurricane wrecked boats anchored off Village Cay are owned by him. If they are not owned by him then by the insurance comp.
Good luck
I don't know how to get ahold of the specific government officials but I am planning a visit next few weeks.

I just got off the phone with Chris and am awaiting an email with listings.

Its surprisingly affordable to take a floatable vessel and ship it back to florida. I will update when things come about. A reputable salvage company has a slew of vessels sub 20K that I intend to inquire about.
Old 27-05-2019, 10:16   #29

As others have pointed out, the time for a screaming deal has probably passed in the VIs.

That doesnt mean your dream of buying a fixer upper for pennies isnt possible, it just means you should look elsewhere. If you're fixing yourself, there are still lots of deals out there, just they have nothing to do with hurricane damaged boats.

As cruising has become more popular, part time cruising has exploded. People are buying very expensive boats, sailing for the winter, then hauling them out for the summer. Some of these people end up missing a winter of sailing and never return. They either pay large sums of money to store their boat on the hard for multiple years, or they rack up large back fees on the yard. Either way, a few years of neglect means these boats need lots of work to replace corroded electronics, frozen seacocks, non running engines, rotten sails, etc.

These boats are exactly what you're looking for, and should have no hull or mast damage. There are always a few boats like this. They're usually listed at a fraction of what they would be worth in great condition and are overpriced at that asking price. My friend got a boat worth 100k if it were in good condition for 4k, the asking price was 25k. It has been on the market for almost a year after the owner had ignored it on the hard for 4 years previously.

He spent 4 months living in the yard working on the boat, many thousands in parts, but the end result is a great boat well below market rate, as long as you pretend your time is free, which he (and maybe you) are willing to pretend.

Someday I hope to do the same thing.

Grenada, ABCs, Panama, Cabo are all good places to find a boat, at varying levels of convenience to you. You may find one local to you by calling local boatyard, but generally they're quicker to be bought up since they're more convenient to lots of people.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 17:20   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The Virgin Islands Shipping Registry (VISR) just announced that it is auctioning off over 20 abandoned boats, during the month of May, as is, where is. The details can be found by contacting them. The news article was carried on bviplatinum.com

It will be interesting to see how this goes! The boats have all been seized by the Registry as a result of their owners having done nothing about the wrecks since the storm. I, personally, doubt there is much worth in anything there, particularly considering the removal costs involved, but it's a place for the OP to start.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, Virgin Islands