Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 17:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Videoing the Adventure?

Hi folks,

I posted an intro a couple of weeks back, but I figured I'd start a thread here to around this particular subject.

I have a little blog going, where I update stuff that's going on in my wind-down. One of the most recent posts covers trying to find someone with video experience to come along in 2014. Any ideas, pointers, tips on where to find someone with the right skillset?

Cheers, and I appreciate the help.

-The Nomad
Old 07-11-2013, 17:39   #2

Re: Videoing the adventure?

Hey Nomad,

The site looks great ! Best of luck to you.

As far as videoing goes you should remember that taking video is only the start. I reckon processing and editing the footage is the most challenging/time consuming task.

Regards,

Edd Hewett
eddhewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:52   #3

As Edd said, editing is by far the most time consuming aspect of videography. If you have little/no experience in movie making, look into a freelance video editor.

I used elance for a freelance editor to scrub my novel before it was published. I highly recommend this site as you set the payment schedule based on your approval and job completion. Good faith payments and escrow accounts keep both parties happy and it's very professional. A quick search got me this: https://www.elance.com/r/contractors/q-Video%20Editing

I would assume that if you were so inclined, you could shoot the video yourself using any number of devices with an overall "blueprint" for what your looking for and forward the footage to your editor and see what they come up with. I arranged the contract with my editor so that I kept 100% of the copyright regardless of edits or add-ons.

Very easy, professional experience and have been thinking about this same thing for some of our longer videos to give them a professional look and edge.

The other benefit is that you don't have to put up with someone on your boat that you may find incompatible with you 2 days into a 12 day voyage...
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:59   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

Check out some of Drake Paragon's work on Youtube. You can watch his evolution over the years. He is now turning out some great work, but he spends hours in post production.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 18:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

My #1 advice for anyone getting into video, is...audio.

Most people can watch a video that is blurry, shaky, poorly composed, if the subject interests them, and the audio is good. However, if the reverse is true, good video but lousy audio, it is hard to keep a person's attention.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 18:28   #6

Certainly didn't expect so many quick replies. Thanks for that!

On this - the point of this isn't to do it myself. It's to have the trip documented, and it's incredibly hard to do this by yourself - I've done enough to know that.

I guess I should have laid out some basics (apologies for not doing that first):
- I'm not doing it myself
- I need someone who can do underwater work (I freedive, alot)
- I need someone to help with post-production, but I can help categorize it, label it, and organize it at the end of the day

The plan is to video the sailing, diving, and some exploration. Cosistently leak small clips through my site and YouTube to build an audience - then to sell larger clips online. At the end of the trip (5 years or so), compile non-shared footage and make a documentary of the trip and submit to various film festivals.

So - given that I'm taking this seriously, that I do understand the time involved in editing/post production, and that I'm not doing it myself... Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2013, 21:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Check out some of Drake Paragon's work on Youtube. You can watch his evolution over the years. He is now turning out some great work, but he spends hours in post production.
Just did, interesting stuff for sure. Thanks for the heads-up, I really like the time-lapse stuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 21:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
As Edd said, editing is by far the most time consuming aspect of videography. If you have little/no experience in movie making, look into a freelance video editor.

I used elance for a freelance editor to scrub my novel before it was published. I highly recommend this site as you set the payment schedule based on your approval and job completion. Good faith payments and escrow accounts keep both parties happy and it's very professional. A quick search got me this: https://www.elance.com/r/contractors/q-Video%20Editing
I use both Elance and Odesk from time-to-time. I agree that it's a great service and relatively low cost. The issue would be sending hours of HD video back and forth over a low-bandwidth connection.

The issue of incompatibility is a real one. And I don't know the best way to tackle it, besides giving it a bit of a trial run. But I'm not going to attempt to do the filming, editing, and production myself. There's too much I'll be missing if I'm trying to do it all.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post

But I'm not going to attempt to do the filming, editing, and production myself. There's too much I'll be missing if I'm trying to do it all.
I worked as a video producer for the last 10 yrs before cruising. Your reply above is why I decided not to make the cruise all about video. It will consume you. Ifnyour intention is unwavering, then resign to the fact that the cruise is work, and you will get snipets of time of here and there.
Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Videoing the Adventure?

I think Witzgal is on the money.

Editing used to take me directing a professional editor one hour per minute of documentary, when the doco was very basic. And that's a professional.

Just to time code raw footage takes a long time
Quote:
- I need someone to help with post-production, but I can help categorize it, label it, and organize it at the end of the day
If you are flicking a camera about for a whole day it will take you half a day to time code it, I.e. Work out what major shots you want used.

When a professional does shoots there will be a script and shot list showing each shot needed and the ratio of footage shot to actually used my be 4:1 but a professional documentary maker shooting with only a basic script will use 10:1 ratio, and shooting wild by a cruiser you will have to shoot 100 hours to make 1 hour of sale able footage.

Modern editing on computer is a dream and you can very quickly and easily edit a doco .... But that's in terms of professionals at each level. It's different for stuff put on YouTube and what you would be able to get money for.

So I would suggest you may need to balance out your expectations with the value denuded from your cruising.
That means: why screw up your 5 year cruise with a difficulty so large?

If you can answer it well then go forth and good luck in filmmaking.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16   #11

For me personally, I think taking the footage myself and mailing it out (thumb drives are cheap) to an editor to do all the work sounds like the best plan.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55   #12

Re: Videoing the Adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
So I would suggest you may need to balance out your expectations with the value denuded from your cruising.
That means: why screw up your 5 year cruise with a difficulty so large?
Fair enough. witzgall, thanks for your input as well. I think both of those points are valid.

This is precisely why I want to bring someone along to help film/edit. And then, if it doesn't look like that fits the lifestyle - we'll just not film as much (or at all). You may very well be right, but I don't know how much risk there is in trying (I'll have the camera, the editing software, the computer, etc anyways).

MBLittle - you've got my attention. The question is: how to find an editor that is capable and won't break the bank.... Of course, we might be able to use Elance for that.