Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:36   #16

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36
Re: Vermiculite on a sailboat

Good afternoon!

In terms of HEALTH RISKS, vermiculite, depending on the geographic source, *may* contain a very small percentage of asbestos, but it is only a risk if that asbestos is breathed into the lungs. The spindle fibers are shaped so as to potentially interfere with lung oxygen transpiration and *potentially* cause scarring over the long term, resulting in increased lung cancer risks. D/t the moral mandate to not conduct human trials (this is a good thing! but sad for the purposes of drawing firm absolutist conclusions), the variation in human physiology and exposure patterns, and the long latency between exposure and potential consequence, we have no idea what the minimum airborne dose of asbestos is for increased cancer risk...so we say there is no lower limit and any exposure *may* increase risk.

If the vermiculite was an epoxy stabilizer, unless the removal was for structural purposes (and that I have no idea--I'm strictly talking health risks), I wouldn't be concerned by its presence (or former presence, as the case may be...).

From what I can tell, the fumed silica in Cabosil is essentially manmade vermiculite (don't quote me on this!), and we slap that all over hell and gone on our boats. I've used perlite and vermiculite in DIY soilless seedling mixes, and as insulation for flame-resistant or awkward-to-reach areas. I stumbled across this thread in a vain search to ascertain any functional difference between vermiculite and fumed silica before embarking on a glassing project. If anyone can help me clarify THAT, I'd love to know more.

-Pauline
(Disclaimer: I know a little, don't know enough, want to learn more.)
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 15:46   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Excellent post, Pauline! Nice to get a reasoned rather than emotional, doom crying opinion on asbestos exposure.

Can't help on the fumed silica query, but a look at one of the standard industrial hygiene references should clear that up for you.

Jim
Old 04-05-2017, 15:52   #18

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

in general crystaline silica is carcinogenic (silicosis in miners). Amorphous silica (glass, fumed silica, silica aerogel) is just a irritant. That's why it is considered safe to use fumed silica in applications such as a thickener for resin.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 23:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Excellent post, Pauline! Nice to get a reasoned rather than emotional, doom crying opinion on asbestos exposure.

Can't help on the fumed silica query, but a look at one of the standard industrial hygiene references should clear that up for you.

Jim
Thanks!

turtletraveling.com
Old 05-05-2017, 23:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
in general crystaline silica is carcinogenic (silicosis in miners). Amorphous silica (glass, fumed silica, silica aerogel) is just a irritant. That's why it is considered safe to use fumed silica in applications such as a thickener for resin.
So, the raw material selection is based on worker safety, as opposed to that of the end user. Thanks!

turtletraveling.com
Old 06-05-2017, 00:36   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
Is it???

I always understood (perhaps incorrectly) that fumed silica was best avoided and to be very cautious when handling it. I'm talking the raw product here, not already premixed in resin etc. I note that it extremely fine and light when compared to say talc and the particles float in the slightest breeze when being added to a resin etc. This is one of the few times I insist on wearing a very good mask.

Perhaps I was over cautious ????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37   #22

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

Nope your not overcautious, just being prudent as you should. Not a good idea to breath it (same with fine glass fiber particulate). They are a serious irritant and cause inflammation. The amorphous silicas are not carcinogenic like crystalline, but you really don't want to breathe either type.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56   #23

I've done a lot of mould remediation in attics and have run into vermiculite several times. When in doubt, I've sent samples into a lab for testing at about $15 a pop. There may also be some air tests that can be done to determine if asbestos is present, but I'm not sure.

I've used these guys before, but it's not a recommendation as you need to decide who works for you:

PRO-LAB Home Safety Test Kits | The Leading Brand of Home Testing Kits
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat