Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 00:36   #121

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: US Practise of Deposit With Boat Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh my... you still don't realize the US is right in that list too (didn't know Italy was on it?!) and for an amount that is too big for the EU heavyweights to send enough of their relief funds to save your butt. The Chinese own most of your business real estate already and soon your a$$ too When the time comes, I might make y'all an offer for the US Virgins (islands I mean) or something and even consider wiring 10% with the offer

ciao!
Nick.
Nick, I think your little Euro swimsuit has slipped up over your neck and cut off the blood supply to your brain. Need I remind you that the Netherlands is just a shade bigger than Thailand in terms of GDP, and about the size of our STATE of Florida. So, I don't think you will be bailing anyone out.

If you want to send the 10% deposit though I suppose we could talk.
Old 09-07-2011, 00:51   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
And then what happened?
At the risk of not "playing nice", that remark borders on ignorance (as in not having knowledge).

Shell Oil? Dutch
ING? Dutch
Unilever? Dutch
Heineken? Dutch

The Dutch have been known as traders and great businessmen for almost 1/2 of a millennium.

Let's not forget they are from a very small country, with a population of only about 17 million.

Why do some people feel the need to denigrate other countries?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
At the risk of not "playing nice", that remark borders on ignorance (as in not having knowledge).

Shell Oil? Dutch
ING? Dutch
Unilever? Dutch
Heineken? Dutch

The Dutch have been known as traders and great businessmen for almost 1/2 of a millennium.

Let's not forget they are from a very small country, with a population of only about 17 million.

Why do some people feel the need to denigrate other countries?
You might want to go back and read the prior posts before jumping into the fray. Twasn't I who brought up the Dutch economic history ... I have no idea what it has to do with the OP's question. We were discussing the normal practice in the U.S. regarding deposits with boat offers. Maybe you can see the connection and enlighten me.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
You might want to go back and read the prior posts before jumping into the fray. Twasn't I who brought up the Dutch economic history ... I have no idea what it has to do with the OP's question. We were discussing the normal practice in the U.S. regarding deposits with boat offers. Maybe you can see the connection and enlighten me.
I think I have read most of the thread, and agree, it was/is starting to wander. I made my comment as I felt yours was a bid snide, unnecessarily so.

That being said, let's get back on track. Sometimes what one meant doesn't come across well when typed, so here is the truce flag 
Name:   th_flag_of_truce.gif
Views: 157
Size:  7.1 KB

I have mentioned in the past that I have run large used vehicle operations. We got all sorts of buyers in, and yes, the norm was to get a deposit to show good faith.

That being said, we would have lost a ton of sales if we were anal about it. There is a subset of buyers out there, that are sincere and ready to deal, but won't on principle give deposits until everything is finalized.

The trick for the broker is understanding who those real buyers are. A good broker will be able to do so, the rest won't. Any broker that insists on deposits by rote will miss out on a good portion of sales.

If any are lurking here, I will gladly give consulting lessons (for a fee of course)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

The trick for the broker is understanding who those real buyers are. A good broker will be able to do so, the rest won't. Any broker that insists on deposits by rote will miss out on a good portion of sales.

If any are lurking here, I will gladly give consulting lessons (for a fee of course)
Last I looked, brokers got paid by commission ... no sale, no income. The buyer here is usually buying a recreation vessel, the broker is trying to make a living ... who's got more at stake, more incentive to make a deal. I'd say the broker. So, if the current systems works for them who am I to suggest they need lessons on how to conduct their business. When it stops working for them, they will change it.

A number of posters have talked about how this is negotiable and not some hard and fast rule, at least for the majority of brokers, so what's the big deal. Seems a lot of the protesting is coming from overseas buyer that see good deals in the US due to exchange rates but at the same time want to deal like they are still in Europe. You can't have it both ways. They think US business practices are onerous, trying living in Thailand.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: US Practice of Deposit With Boat Purchase

This has been a great thread and quite an eye opener, it has drifted a little at times from the original point, but it certainly had provided useful information! One previous poster I feel is right when he says that the Boat Brokers ¨glory¨ days have some what changed! there is just not the money around that there was 6 years or so ago, the brokers are going to have to work harder for their clients and be a little more flexible to get deals done, the ones that change the ¨¨old school¨ attitude are the ones that will have more success! I own property in Central London in the UK, some properties there are going for $900,000, yet you can phone up, with an offer, you dont need to deposit 10% to make that offer, when I bought my place there in 2004 I did not have to pay anything until my offer was accepted, I then had to put an imediate 1,000 UK pounds while we sorted out the mortgage, I have bought several 2nd hand cars over the last 25 years, I have never had to pay any deposit to make an offer, I own property here in Spain and have never had to pay any deposit to make an offer or an enquiry......I fully respect that when you go to another country you should abide by the laws there, however, if in the USA brokers are going to expect people to deposit 10% just to start talking to them about a boat and what it might go for it will ultimately cost them and their clients business in a very difficult market place..... its a big no no for me! There has been plenty of support for Brokers on here, I have also recieved several PMs from brokers trying to sell me a boat, so it is clear that they are here and that they would want to defend their corner!
each and everyone of us on here has the right to an opinion on the subject, we also have the right to go and buy where we are comfortable and see fit..........so, based on this, If I call a Broker who wants 10% to answer several questions re a boat including what the seller may be prepared to accept and he insists on a 10% deposit, he wont get it from me and I would move on, it seems that there are several on here that would do the same thing! Now, whether he likes this or not is not the question, the reality is that a deal may have been lost, can brokers and selllers alike afford to take these sort of risks in the current market climate?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15   #127

Pablo ... you are starting to repeat yourself. You said all that already several posts back. I think we got it. You should probably just strike the US off your shopping list and buy something in Europe. It will be a much more pleasant experience for you I'm sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15   #128
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Pablo ... you are starting to repeat yourself. You said all that already several posts back. I think we got it. You should probably just strike the US off your shopping list and buy something in Europe. It will be a much more pleasant experience for you I'm sure.
I am not entirely sure you have "got it" - clearly the 10% "rule" is not universally applied in the USA, so plenty of scope to deal with a US Broker who will pass on indicative offers to a Seller (without being bribed )......despite what many here have claimed.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35   #129
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You guys still don't get it... most people can't write checks because they don't have that obsolete payment method anymore where they come from. Last time I could write a check was in 1985 or so. Even if I could write that check today, a broker in the US would not be able to cash it with their bank, because only European banks would have accepted it.

So, the only option would be to actually wire transfer the money at a cost of around $500. You still think that it's normal to loose $500 *and* the interest on the amount transferred, just to show you are serious? I hope not. Especially not if all you have to show is a photocopy of a check which cost you nothing.

ciao!
Nick.
puckey

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35   #130

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Nick, I think your little Euro swimsuit has slipped up over your neck and cut off the blood supply to your brain. Need I remind you that the Netherlands is just a shade bigger than Thailand in terms of GDP, and about the size of our STATE of Florida. So, I don't think you will be bailing anyone out.

If you want to send the 10% deposit though I suppose we could talk.
How many Dutch provinces have gone bust in the last month ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:48   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
How many Dutch provinces have gone bust in the last month ?
Send me a 10% deposit and I'll give you the answer.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29   #132

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Send me a 10% deposit and I'll give you the answer.

What's 10% of Florida worth ?

Two cartons of Heineken and 100 Schimmelpenninck panatellas ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54   #133
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Finally, the thread is getting interesting...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54   #134

Quote:

$747 Billion x 10% = $74.7 Billion (Florida::Gross Domestic Product & Income)

About the same as the Netherlands (World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google public data)
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58   #135
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
$747 Billion x 10% = $74.7 Billion (Florida::Gross Domestic Product & Income)

About the same as the Netherlands (World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google public data)
At the risk of thread drift, that is GDP+income, now what is the net worth of Florida after one subtracts what it owes?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying