Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 23:04   #91

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I'm enjoying your drug testing line. In Canada, the CCG can't even test its own Coast Guard sailors for drug use because it would be an infringement on their constitutional rights and privacy laws.

I don't care what the USCG does with US citizens, but I do find the US war on drugs entertaining.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pretty much the same here.

None of the yanks have supplied an answer. There all hung up on the boarding issue which personally I don't have a problem with.

Did you ever watch that wonderful show with your President Jed Bartlett? He questioned if the drug cartels have 100 times the budget than the DEA has, then why are we doing this? His chief of staff responded, 'because you want a second term Mr President'

I'm not sure how I'd feel about being swabbed, just because I'm in a boat. Would the USCG make non US citizens submit to random drug swabbing?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 23:18   #92

Boat: FP, Saba 50. 16m

Is this just an issue of flag registration in that the yacht was US registered, or in international waters is any national coast guard/Navy entitled to do this?

It seems to me to video the whole process is very useful as in rare cases of incorrect behaviour there is some record, although I can imagine some personal wanting to stop you videoing.

I can understand to some extent checking ships papers and in the case of USCG checking compliance with safety equipment (If US flagged). I can also understand checking for physical drugs on board, especially given the sea area concerned. But testing all crew with swabs (is to me) a violation of human rights when not within the legal water of the US and in international waters. Its just too far.

Not sure what maritime law they rely on.

Overall, I agree that some of the process is warranted but the boundaries have gone to far for me. Nothing to hide, just against big brother getting bigger and bigger.

They do of course a great job and if in the area and your concerned about a possible attack, or have some other issue (medical for example) they can assist, which is comforting to some extent.
crpcrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 02:08   #93

so what happens if i invited my daughter and some of her friends aboard to cruise the fla keys and the uscg come aboard and find some recreational maryjane.....would i lose my boat ,slap on the wrist??? anyone have an experience to share...i dont even get them wasting time with sailboats, it not a go fast drug runner...and the swobbbing is way out of line...im in oregon and its legal here i hope the feds start to realize there not helping the war on drugs by hasslying regular people...theres enough drug offenders in our prisons already but thats another thread that doesnt belong here at cf....also i thought about the diversion thing ... that would make sense...they dont go looking for you without reason normally....good to have ais so you say your there i think
capt ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 04:04   #94

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ric View Post
so what happens if i invited my daughter and some of her friends aboard to cruise the fla keys and the uscg come aboard and find some recreational maryjane.....would i lose my boat ,slap on the wrist??? anyone have an experience to share...i dont even get them wasting time with sailboats, it not a go fast drug runner...and the swobbbing is way out of line...im in oregon and its legal here i hope the feds start to realize there not helping the war on drugs by hasslying regular people...theres enough drug offenders in our prisons already but thats another thread that doesnt belong here at cf....also i thought about the diversion thing ... that would make sense...they dont go looking for you without reason normally....good to have ais so you say your there i think
Coasties used to have a "zero tolerance" policy re drugs. Dont know whether they do now or not, but I have a zero tolerance policy aboard my boat because in many countries you can not only lose your boat, but end up in a third-world jail until they extort enough money from you. Not a life experience I want to have.

Sailboats are used for drug smuggling. I am a few hundred meters away from an impound area here in Panama which contains a variety of boats: commercial fishing vessels, skiffs, and yes several sailboats.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 04:50   #95

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Several experiences with the Coast Guard, some routine but twice was my bad. Their boots will not hurt your deck and everyone I encountered was polite and professional. In my humble opinion if they want to board it, you should heave to and make it as easy as possible. They are doing a job for all of us and a little gratitude is not misplaced. There is a huge difference between a traffic stop on land and a Coast Guard approach starting with the quality of the people and their supervision.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 04:56   #96

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Several experiences with the Coast Guard, some routine but twice was my bad. Their boots will not hurt your deck and everyone I encountered was polite and professional. In my humble opinion if they want to board it, you should heave to and make it as easy as possible. They are doing a job for all of us and a little gratitude is not misplaced. There is a huge difference between a traffic stop on land and a Coast Guard approach starting with the quality of the people and their supervision.
Yes yes yes, but what about random swabbing for drugs?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:13   #97

Boat: Wwp19

As a father of a Coast Guard bording officer I'll remind my son to remove his boots when he is out in 30' seas trying to rescue your sorry butt when your yacht is being torn apart".....I just can't believe some of you "yachtsmen"?
Petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:15   #98
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just curious with all the legal eagles on the thread.

In this USCG scenario and your yacht is registered in Colorado or Washington State.

What happens on boarding if they find some Alice B Toklas fudge?...

Edit...her recipe

Bake one teaspoon black peppercorns, one whole nutmeg, four average sticks of cinnamon, one teaspoon coriander. These should all be pulverized in a mortar. About a handful each of stoned dates, dried figs, shelled almonds and peanuts: chop these and mix them together. A bunch of Cannabis sativa can be pulverized. This along with the spices should be dusted over the mixed fruit and nuts, kneaded together. About a cup of sugar dissolved in a big pat of butter. Rolled into a cake and cut into pieces or made into balls about the size of a walnut, it should be eaten with care. Two pieces are quite sufficient.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:18   #99

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrel View Post
As a father of a Coast Guard bording officer I'll remind my son to remove his boots when he is out in 30' seas trying to rescue your sorry butt when your yacht is being torn apart".....I just can't believe some of you "yachtsmen"?

That's a very different scenario than boarding in international waters in the middle of the night

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:18   #100

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just curious with all the legal eagles on the thread.

In this USCG scenario and your yacht is registered in Colorado or Washington State.

What happens on boarding if they find some Alice B Toklas fudge?...
Where is the boat located at time of boarding?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:20   #101
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Where is the boat located at time of boarding?
International waters
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:31   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrel View Post
Classic example of a Straw Man argument. I must file that one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:50   #103

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

So it is now Mary Jane, we are worried about. if you are stopped and boarded by the USCG, and you have MJ aboard you will probably be removed from your boat, and you and your boat will be taken to the nearest boat station, as MJ is still on the Federal No-No List, So let us hope it is the local Sheriff that finds her, and he is from a State that allows for personal use, rather than the USCG, who still has a Zero tolerance. If the local Sheriff is from a state that still has a Zero tolerance the result will be the same as if the CG found it...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 06:00   #104

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
So it is now Mary Jane, we are worried about. if you are stopped and boarded by the USCG, and you have MJ aboard you will probably be removed from your boat, and you and your boat will be taken to the nearest boat station, as MJ is still on the Federal No-No List, So let us hope it is the local Sheriff that finds her, and he is from a State that allows for personal use, rather than the USCG, who still has a Zero tolerance. If the local Sheriff is from a state that still has a Zero tolerance the result will be the same as if the CG found it...
Just want to throw this out there. The Coast Guard does not have a zero tolerance policy towards weed. Any amounts up to an ounce they leave alone in international waters and wont bother doing anything to you. SOURCE - The boarding party told us exactly that before they swabbed us.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 06:17   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
They didn't do a very good job in the case of my ship, Westchester County LST 1167. She had two limpet mines attached to her Waterline while anchored at the mouth of the Mekong. 26 killed . If I had still been aboard, one of those killed would have been me.It was the compartment I lived in. R.I.P. SHIPMATES
Tragedy struck on 1 November while Westchester County lay anchored in the vicinity of My Tho, Vietnam. Two giant underwater explosions ripped Westchester County, killing 25 men. The enemy mines had been attached to the hull about mid ship on the starboard side causing ruptured berthing compartments as well as fuel and storage tanks.

When the final casualty figures were tallied, they showed that 17 crew members of Westchester County had been killed in the explosions; five 9th Infantry Division soldiers died in the wreckage of the troop compartment. Also killed in the attack were one sailor from River Assault Division 111, one South Vietnamese Navy sailor and one South Vietnamese ‘Tiger Scout’ interpreter. Twenty-two crewmen had been wounded. The 25 KIAs lost in the mining of Westchester County represent the U.S. Navy’s greatest single-incident combat loss of life during the entire Vietnam War.

LST 1167 - USS Westchester County Association

USS Westchester County: Attacked During the Vietnam War

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc