Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 23:57   #166

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Exactly FamilyVan that's been my point.

But, no one seems to have any knowledge around this apart from the occasionally the USCG can do what they like.
that's because the treaties that allow the USCG to search foreign vessels outside of US Waters are not public but hidden in stuff like TTIP, TPP, SafeHarbor etc. etc. which are not public either but beeing freed over time.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 03:52   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
that's because the treaties that allow the USCG to search foreign vessels outside of US Waters are not public but hidden in stuff like TTIP, TPP, SafeHarbor etc. etc. which are not public either but beeing freed over time.
No doubt there is a secret agreement between Putin and Obama where Putin rolls out the welcome mat for the gold old US of A Coast Guard.

We've already seen what kind of agreement exists between Canada and the US with the Ship Rider program, not exactly keys to the back door and those are two countries that actually get along most of the time.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 04:34   #168

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

I have been following this thread since the first, and I doubt that most of you pollywogs have much to worry about being boarded... as you wouldn't be asking... Along with that, if you were carrying that much MJ to make a profit, you would have sunk your boat before you left the dock, and if your boat were large enough to carry that much to make a profit you would already be under survailence. So have a good trip....and don't worry about the US Coast Guard...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 14:35   #169

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In that link is another link to
http://www.unodc.org/pdf/convention_1988_en.pdf

which is the UN Convention signed by 169 or so countries (including Canada and Mexico) relating to Illicit Drugs. Article 17 is the relevant one:
Small print in that link (near the bottom):

"21. The foregoing Convention, which is subject to ratification, acceptance, approval or act of formal confirmation..."

That link helps explain the UN convention, agreed to by the participant parties (169 or so), BUT also that the parties still need to bring it home and then get it approved/signed/whatever by the respective home govt.

Methinks that needs a little more digging into.....
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 14:59   #170

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
That's a real worry whenever there are 'secret' anything.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 15:16   #171

yeah i know, tinfoil hat territory.

no idea how FV got Putin in that mix though. unless Russia took over EU and SEA.
no wait, that was just Crimea.

fact is that USCG probably does not have to ask any NATO partner or Oz/NZ for permission.
on the other hand, anyone who wants to enter US Waters will probably not want to resist a friendly boarding as that would probably have consequences when trying to check in to the country. and non US citizen don't have any rights under US law anyhow.
Old 20-10-2015, 15:35   #172

Now its only NATO countries they can commit acts of piracy against? It seems your story is changing because you know exactly what would happen if a rogue USCG Cutter started running around the Black Sea boarding Russian yachts.

Old 20-10-2015, 15:35   #173

Quote:
yeah i know, tinfoil hat territory.

no idea how FV got Putin in that mix though. unless Russia took over EU and SEA.
no wait, that was just Crimea.

fact is that USCG probably does not have to ask any NATO partner or Oz/NZ for permission.
on the other hand, anyone who wants to enter US Waters will probably not want to resist a friendly boarding as that would probably have consequences when trying to check in to the country. and non US citizen don't have any rights under US law anyhow.
Given the documentation that has been clearly provided on this thread, which clearly indicates that the USCG does have to seek permission of any vessel in International waters to board, then where do you get the idea that they 'probably' don't?

And what makes you think non US citizens have no rights under US Law?
Old 20-10-2015, 15:37   #174

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Chased a Russian Relief Crew Ship for three days, from Kodiak Is., south, until called off by Hqtrs. They tried to swap crews in an inlet on Kodiak Is. which was a No-No at that time. Would have had them but couldn't find a place to park our C-130 (the don't flat as well as a goat)...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 15:39   #175

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
I have been following this thread since the first, and I doubt that most of you pollywogs have much to worry about being boarded... as you wouldn't be asking... Along with that, if you were carrying that much MJ to make a profit, you would have sunk your boat before you left the dock, and if your boat were large enough to carry that much to make a profit you would already be under survailence. So have a good trip....and don't worry about the US Coast Guard...
Okay.... But here's something to consider. From the OP's video:

6:20 mark: "Last but not least they pulled our sick crewmate up from downstairs and swabbed her."

6:37 mark: "We were nearing Columbian waters and they made us divert our course back south which was the final straw for me..." (then) "I lowered our sails and bobbed in the ocean for the last half hour of our inquisition..."

8:02 mark: "The end result was we were delayed by 90 minutes which mean (sic) we got caught in a storm outside San Andreas."

So they were caught in a storm at sea when they could have been safe in harbour. Nice, that. No?

The DELAY was 90 mins - but the USCG was aboard much longer than that while the sailboat originally proceeded on course. The incident lasted from 4:15 Am till 8:25 AM. Quite an experience, what with their ship's papers and all being in order. And in international waters.

Yet note that in the vid the OP actually praised the USCG for their professionalism. But that professionalism wasn't the point.

To recap:
Boarded on the high seas.
Swabbed for drugs.
Sick crewmate brought up on deck.
Ordered to change course.
Delayed longer than a "papers check" would require.
Ended up being caught out in bad wxr.
and etc. etc.

{By the way: The vessel was inbound... don't folk normally smuggle drugs OUT of Columbia? }
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 15:41   #176

Kodiak's an American Island. That's an entirely different matter.

Old 20-10-2015, 15:43   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Okay.... But here's something to consider. From the OP's video:

6:20 mark: "Last but not least they pulled our sick crewmate up from downstairs and swabbed her."

6:37 mark: "We were nearing Columbian waters and they made us divert our course back south which was the final straw for me..." (then) "I lowered our sails and bobbed in the ocean for the last half hour of our inquisition..."

8:02 mark: "The end result was we were delayed by 90 minutes which mean (sic) we got caught in a storm outside San Andreas."

So they were caught in a storm at sea when they could have been safe in harbour. Nice, that. No?

The DELAY was 90 mins - but the USCG was aboard much longer than that while the sailboat originally proceeded on course. The incident lasted from 4:15 Am till 8:25 AM. Quite an experience, what with their ship's papers and all being in order. And in international waters.

Yet note that in the vid the OP actually praised the USCG for their professionalism. But that professionalism wasn't the point.

To recap:
Boarded on the high seas.
Swabbed for drugs.
Sick crewmate brought up on deck.
Ordered to change course.
Delayed longer than a "papers check" would require.
Ended up being caught out in bad wxr.
and etc. etc.

{By the way: The vessel was inbound... don't folk normally smuggle drugs OUT of Columbia? }
Exactly.. it was over the top and the OP probably consented to the swabs without knowing it.
Old 20-10-2015, 15:50   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Now its only NATO countries they can commit acts of piracy against? It seems your story is changing because you know exactly what would happen if a rogue USCG Cutter started running around the Black Sea boarding Russian yachts.

i've never involved any russian yachts in here, you involved Putin into the mix.
i'm coming from a german point of view and from how i know our government any USCG cutter entering the north sea probably would get a blanko cheque to do what ever they want here when they arrive if they have not already by some WW2 victory remnant treaty.
no idea why you are getting personal here.
oh wait, i know why: someone on the internet seemed wrong.

peace?
Old 20-10-2015, 15:55   #179
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Anywhere in the world.
Ahem, not ANYWHERE. In Australian Territorial waters they would be acting quite illegally, and I suspect but have not done the research, that the same applies for British, Kiwi and many other countries waters. But sure MOST of the world.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 15:57   #180

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
. and non US citizen don't have any rights under US law anyhow.
I think you got your legal advice wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc