Old 14-01-2020, 22:38   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Travel no passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
my experience is mainly commercial (10 years at sea / master class
I'm surprised.
Quote:
my reference to a non-stop transit via cape horn as a way of avoiding getting a passport was very much tongue in cheek. such would be clearly stupid - although i maintain would be possible if your vessel had appropriate international registration / port clearance etc.
cheers,
Would not be "clearly stupid" without more information. And you do not need international registration nor would you need port clearance.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 01:43   #17

This is great information. I have done some reading and this was a popular route back during the gold Rush era. It was popular to travel from New York to California, but I am having a difficult time finding.ore recent trips. Although I did find a young man attempting the trip recently. His sailboat had a small fire, he lost the transmission and the bilge began filling with water. They didn't say why they were taking on water. I am fairly new to sailing and I wonder if it was there stuffing box. They gave up the journey in Chile. Anyway, I am glad that at least I have the option of Cape Horn and it would definitely give one bragging rights if successful.
Thank you
davidwiley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 02:36   #18

Well, this is great feedback, hearing everything from Detroit to professional ship captains and was even more information than expected. I have read about similar journeys and I will try to find some more information regarding routes, weather, provisions, gear etc.
Thank you all very much
Old 15-01-2020, 02:54   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Contact a Panama Canal agent: it may be that if they do your paperwork in advance, while you approach, your yacht can be in transit and you don't have to clear in to the country. You could also not leave the boat, of course, and the agent might not wish to deal with someone who sounds shady enough to not be able to secure a passport. But ships pass through that way every day.
However, if you're new to sailing and have no experience of voyaging, you'd be really tossing the dice trying to do several weeks at sea wending through the Carib to the canal, then going offshore nonstop to SoCal--several more weeks at best.
Passports, papers, identification--like them or not, (usually not), they're part of the game we play. Your reasons for not securing a passport are your own, of course, but don't expect much sympathy from people who's job it is to check ID when you turn up with none. They have authority to impound your boat, detain you, and at best turn you over to the nearest US embassy, whose staff will have little sympathy for an American who decided to travel without papers.
Old 15-01-2020, 03:00   #20

Oh yes, this all makes plenty of sense. I had not considered calling a Panama canal agent and it sure wouldn't hurt anything. I will see if I can get a hold of someone down there this week.
Thank you for your input.
Old 15-01-2020, 03:32   #21

So I imagine some of you would like to know why I don't have a passport, and it really has nothing to do with cruising but I am going to explain.
I am a retired combat veteran, that has been through three divorces and have four wonderful son's. A few years back I was a week late on a child support payment, after which the government automatically garnished half of my pay to include retirement. Now I don't know how well off many of you are but attempting to hire attorneys and paying court fees on half pay is difficult let alone try and house and feed yourself.
So, after being behind $2500 the government decides to revoke your prevlidge of visiting foreign countries. I am not trying to flee the country, I am simply trying to get to see my son's.
In addition I have used my real name on here so I don't feel as though I have been shady in anyway. Yes I could ship the vessel by truck and I may.
Thank you for all your feedback
Old 15-01-2020, 04:05   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Why not just get on a bus?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 04:20   #23

Because I want to live aboard near my son's.
Old 15-01-2020, 06:51   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwiley75 View Post
Because I want to live aboard near my son's.
A trip around the Horn or thru the Canal wont be cheap (a few thousand just in Canal fees)...especially if you and your boat end up in the pokey somewhere for being there illegally. How will the USA view this journey? Especially if you show up back in the USA as a result of deportation (lilely sans boat)?

Is the boat prepared well for such a long trip? If not, outfitting properly for offshore is big time expensive.

You dont just show up and scoot thru the Canal, there is time, planning, and prep involved which normally means spending at least a few days in Panama..which means clearing in to be legal. And small boats are the lowest priority so it is not uncommon for your schedule to be delayed for higher priority traffic.

Do you have an approptiate level of offshore experience?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 07:11   #25

Sounds like a huge pain. I will probably just hire a trucking company. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 15-01-2020, 07:22   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Sell the boat in Fla and buy another in Cal. BTW I think finding a liveaboard slip in Cal is going to be the hardest part if that is your intention.
Even if you have had legal issues the US has to give you a passport provided yours wasn't taken away or you have been convicted of drug smuggling or human trafficking and owe less than $2500 in past due child support. And you have the proper papers to prove who you are.
Old 15-01-2020, 07:32   #27

I was just living in Morro Bay California on a 30' islander. So I think I might still be able to find somewhere to place my sailboat. Are you a lawyer? Do you think that when someone gets a little behind on child support that people refuse to do business with them? Why would you start insinuating anyone is smuggling drugs or transporting people illigeally? Have a great day and appreciate your help.
Old 15-01-2020, 08:32   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
the US has to give you a passport provided yours wasn't taken away or you have been convicted of drug smuggling or human trafficking and owe less than $2500 in past due child support.
OP clearly stated why he can't get a passport
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwiley75 View Post
So, after being behind $2500 the government decides to revoke your prevlidge of visiting foreign countries.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:49   #29

Anyone want to buy an islander 37 in Florida?
Old 15-01-2020, 12:05   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why not pay up the back child support, re-apply for a passport, and be eligible for the freedom having a passport gives?

Ann