Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 10:11   #1

Tracking Down a Mull 58

I understand that a Mull 58, built in aluminum by Palmer Johnson in 1970 for Lynn Williams, raced in the 1971 SORC, and then named "Dora" now lives somewhere in the Caribbean as a cruiser.

Has anyone seen her, and can they put me in touch with the owners? I knew her professional back then, was greatly impressed with her as a sea boat (though her owner decided that she'd been out-designed by the new S&S 62s) and sold her.

I have been told that she lived in Cape Cod as "Safari", but not sure of the accuracy of that tale.

Thanks in advance!
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 20:07   #2

Boat: Orion 58 1986 Inca
Re: Tracking down a Mull 58

Any luck on tracking down the Mull 58 called Dora, or any other ? I have heard of another called "Famous Namis". Would love to see a photo of either or spec sheet, what year did Gary Mull design them ?

The Orion 50 was originally designed by Gary Mull as a 58, shortened by Ta Shing the builder, to 50ft.

I have a Orion 50 modified back to its original plans so 58ft, just sailed across Pacific now in French Polynesia. It is truly a great sea boat with good turn of speed.

Smooth seas fair winds
inca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:23   #3

Re: Tracking down a Mull 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
Any luck on tracking down the Mull 58 called Dora, or any other ? I have heard of another called "Famous Namis". Would love to see a photo of either or spec sheet, what year did Gary Mull design them ?
[snip]

Smooth seas fair winds
Have yet to find a trail of 'Dora'. She was new for the 1971 SORC, built in aluminum by Palmer Johnson of Wisconsin for the late Lynn Williams of Chicago.

I ran into another Mull design, 'La Forza Del Destino' in Florida in 1972 for the SORC as well. Gorgeous boat!
Old 20-10-2015, 09:37   #4

Re: Tracking Down a Mull 58

Dora was NOT a Mull design! She was a Sparkman and Stevens design for Lynn Williams who named her Dora VI. He sold her to Ted Turner who renamed her Tenacious and has since been sold and renamed War Baby. The Mull 58 you are thinking about is Namis AKA THE ORANGE CRATE. I lost track of her when I quit sailing the Mack on Northern Light after 1980. I used to sail against Namis, Tenatious, Ranger, Sassy, Bay Be, and the like back in the 70s.
pitbull815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 10:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull815 View Post
Dora was NOT a Mull design! She was a Sparkman and Stevens design for Lynn Williams who named her Dora VI. He sold her to Ted Turner who renamed her Tenacious and has since been sold and renamed War Baby. The Mull 58 you are thinking about is Namis AKA THE ORANGE CRATE. I lost track of her when I quit sailing the Mack on Northern Light after 1980. I used to sail against Namis, Tenatious, Ranger, Sassy, Bay Be, and the like back in the 70s.
Wellll ... sorta right and sorta wrong. The Dora that sailed the '71 SORC was, in fact, the Mull design. Williams decided that he'd been out-designed by the S&S 62s, and commissioned one for himself. She was also named Dora (as was Williams' T-10).

There was Derecktor-built Namis, an S&S 45, built 1965, and sailed out of Chicago. Then this link (vintage 1977) <http://www.chicagonow.com/sail-lake-michigan/2015/01/2167/> refers to a Mull-designed 54 named Namis, while this link <http://stephenlirakis.blogspot.com/2010/05/1974-americas-cup-beginning.html> cites a Mull-designed Namis. This link cites a Mull-designed 54 named Namis: <http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1973/07/05/page/68/article/dora-iv-nips-namis-in-regatta>.

So there were more than a few Mull designs in aluminum out there. The one I referred to, whose BN became a good friend, on board which I ate the owner's steaks & drank his beer in the 1971 SORC, was in fact a Mull 58 and named Dora. She was also featured in the 1971 Lands' End catalog, and was the cover girl there as well.

And I am still looking for her.
Old 20-10-2015, 10:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pitbull.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:05   #7

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat

If you are looking for a nice Mull Design, I have one for sale. There is a tread here Custom Gary Mull 47 Aluminum
ewitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:12   #8

Thanks but I just wanted to track down Namis. I am not sure where she is or if she is still even in one piece. I am not sure if her old owner, Phil Watson, is still even alive. Thanks again though.
pitbull815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 07:53   #9

Quote:
Dora was NOT a Mull design! She was a Sparkman and Stevens design for Lynn Williams who named her Dora VI. He sold her to Ted Turner who renamed her Tenacious and has since been sold and renamed War Baby. The Mull 58 you are thinking about is Namis AKA THE ORANGE CRATE.
This is correct. My father knew Lynn Williams and raced on Dora IV until he sold it to Ted Turner. Dora IV completely dominated Lake Michigan while she was there. Tenacious went on to win the infamous 1979 Fastnet race.

After Dora IV was sold, my father raced on Namis. I raced on Namis from around 1977-1981. I believe she was a 54' Mull design owned by Phil Watson, named for his daughters Nancy and Missy. I've often what ever happened to her. Even the interior was trimmed with orange. LOTS of orange!
Ozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
This is correct. My father knew Lynn Williams and raced on Dora IV until he sold it to Ted Turner. Then my father raced on Namis. I raced on Namis from around 1977-1981. I believe she was a 54' Mull design owned by Phil Watson, named for his daughters Nancy and Missy. I've often what ever happened to her. Even the interior was trimmed with orange. LOTS of orange!
Oh, for goodness sake! If you read the entire thread, you'd have seen the distinction between the several Doras.

There was the Mull design that I knew from 1970, the S&S design that succeeded her, and the T-10. There may have been more. Namis was NOT the Mull-designed Dora of 1970.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:45   #11

Correct, Dora IV and Namis are two different boats. After further research, it appears that Namis was sold to Larry Ruhland, painted blue and renamed Dolphin with sail no. USA77:
Bayview Yacht Club - Bayview Mackinac Race - Bayview Port Huron to Mackinac Race

I can positively say without a shadow of a doubt, that the following videos are indeed the boat that was Namis:

Ozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 17:22   #12

Hello - I believe Dora IV was purchased in 1971 by Paul Adams of Greenwich CT sometime on 1971 and renamed Safari, and competed in the 1972 SORC. I helped bring her north after that, and later sailed on her in the '72 Bermuda Race and the trans-Atlantic to Bayona Spain. I left her in Spain, but I know she then was shipped to South America and sailed in the BA-Rio race and possibly others. Last time I saw her was in New Orleans in Dec '72, just arrived back from SA. She was indeed a good sea boat - we went around the edge of Hurricane Agatha during the Bermuda race, and it blew 65 knots + (we finished under a storm trysail and reacher, mainsail track torn off - everything else was torn - same as may others!). Also sailed on the new Dora in Chicago in '73 - an S&S 7/8 rig sloop as I recall. I think La Forza Del Destino was actually built a year or two later at Derecktor in Mamaroneck - another nice Mull boat. Good times!
Bucco is offline   Reply With Quote