Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 15:51   #76
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Top Ten Most Inspirational Sailors

Speaking of the Dutch, how about Pier Gerlofs Donia, the Frisian freedom fighter who was known as "The Cross of the Dutchmen" and "The Giant of Kimswerd". He was said to be over 7' tall and was notorious for his merciless campaign of revenge against the Dutch, who he believed were responsible for the murder of his wife and children by mercenaries. During the two year marine portion of his campaign against the Dutch he sank 132 enemy ships, including the capture or sinking of 28 Dutch ships in a single day. I believe he could be described as having "kicked Dutch butt". Here is a picture of his Sword. With a capital S. The rebellion was not successfully put down till after his death from natural causes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigpier2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	35928  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 15:54   #77

Boat: too many

Astrid,

Do your shopping in Port Edward?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:11   #78

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ Nick - That' s my mother' s part, my father originates from Rebel County ......

O ja, btw we forgot to mention Alain Gerbault, and, in a way, Jaques Brel, who ended his last days sailing .......
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:15   #79

Boat: PETERSON 44
My top 3 Humphrey Barton ( vertue xxxx), Robert Manrey ( tinkerbelle) the Robertsons ( survive the savage sea). Because they are unknown achievers that sailed and were challenged but kept it together with out seeking huge accolades. Then there is slocum which is like a Greek god of sailing. We will just leave the bit of minor sex charges out of the slocum story.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:32   #80

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes lol... Why do you think we emigrated from Holland

But never forget: You ain't much if you aren't Dutch!

ciao!
Nick.

How bout if you're mixed with Scot.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Tartan designed for Dutch kilts
Old 13-01-2012, 16:35   #81

Boat: too many

Scots on the rocks?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:51   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
My top 3 Humphrey Barton ( vertue xxxx), Robert Manrey ( tinkerbelle) the Robertsons ( survive the savage sea). Because they are unknown achievers that sailed and were challenged but kept it together with out seeking huge accolades. Then there is slocum which is like a Greek god of sailing. We will just leave the bit of minor sex charges out of the slocum story.
Robert Manery now thats an inspirational sailor...forgot about him for a moment....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:55   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Scots on the rocks?
No, Scots on the sands - happened in front of Torrevieja - the danger of sailing
alone. Fell asleep after the wheel and beached slowly.
Old 13-01-2012, 18:38   #84
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
Speaking of the Dutch, how about Pier Gerlofs Donia, the Frisian freedom fighter who was known as "The Cross of the Dutchmen" and "The Giant of Kimswerd". He was said to be over 7' tall and was notorious for his merciless campaign of revenge against the Dutch, who he believed were responsible for the murder of his wife and children by mercenaries. During the two year marine portion of his campaign against the Dutch he sank 132 enemy ships, including the capture or sinking of 28 Dutch ships in a single day. I believe he could be described as having "kicked Dutch butt". Here is a picture of his Sword. With a capital S. The rebellion was not successfully put down till after his death from natural causes.
He sure was a big guy but he wasn't "Dutch" as Friesland was occupied territory at best but mostly independant in those days. He is also not really considered a sailor as he operated on inland waters or land.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:46   #85
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
He sure was a big guy but he wasn't "Dutch" as Friesland was occupied territory at best but mostly independant in those days. He is also not really considered a sailor as he operated on inland waters or land.

ciao!
Nick.
Wasn't suggesting a guy known as "The Cross of the Dutchmen" was Dutch! He was the anti-Dutch, if anything. But the Dutch sailors must have really sucked if they let a guy who "wasn't a sailor" capture 28 of their ships in a single day. Only a Dutchman would dare to make that claim.
Old 13-01-2012, 19:00   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret

Wasn't suggesting a guy known as "The Cross of the Dutchmen" was Dutch! He was the anti-Dutch, if anything. But the Dutch sailors must have really sucked if they let a guy who "wasn't a sailor" capture 28 of their ships in a single day. Only a Dutchman would dare to make that claim.
Oh my, you have a problem with the Dutch I think... look out, most of the paint you spray is making the Dutch richer And by the way, these wars are long past us haha

Now tell me what you call "ships" exactly for that number of 28 ships. I'd love a citation too so that I can learn

ciao!
Nick.

Old 13-01-2012, 19:15   #87
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh my, you have a problem with the Dutch I think... look out, most of the paint you spray is making the Dutch richer And by the way, these wars are long past us haha

Now tell me what you call "ships" exactly for that number of 28 ships. I'd love a citation too so that I can learn

ciao!
Nick.
I agree, who knows exactly what they called a "ship" in 1500. But 28 of them sure is a lot. A citation is unlikely , as the record keeping of the day was faulty to say the least. Pier is very much shrouded in legend. I wouldn't cap on the guy too much for staying coastal, most people did in 1500. I definitely don't have anything against the Dutch, a great country with an amazing maritime industry and history, just thought this was an interesting counter to "if you aint Dutch, you aint much", as the Dutch got their asses handed to them at sea quite a bit. Sure they also had guys like Marten Tromp who "swept the seas" clean of opposition, and the VOC while not being the friendliest org of the day sure went everywhere and did a hell of a lot of exploring. Your list just seemed a little one-sided pro-Dutch, thought I'd present some of the opposition. You know, guys who aint Dutch but are clearly much. Here's a famous painting of Grutte Pier chopping up Dutchmen with a giant cleaver. That guy was pissed! George, the Duke of Saxony, sold all his land in the area to Charles the V because he was tired of being unable to sleep at night because he was worried that Pier would come get him. Nobody wanted to tangle with him...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bigpier.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	35937  
Old 13-01-2012, 19:15   #88

minaret refers to the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th when Philip the Brave (Filips de Stoute) quarreled with the Bishop of Utrecht and the Habsburgers about the Dutch Hanzetowns. They were rich and were the money is you' ll find the politicians. The Counts of Holland tried to capture the Frisian territories and used Saxony
mercenaries to raid the Frisian territory.
Unfortunately during such a raid the wife and family of "Greate Pier" were killed and his farm burned.
He founded a band of mercenaries himself and attacked the bands of horses of the Counts of Holland. He got help from the Gelderlanders, who were called the "Gelderse Friezen". This band of mercenaries was called the "Black Hope". Pier himself was more a warrior then a sailor and the ships were probably small fishingboats of that era.
Flatbotom style with "spriettuig" and say 10-12 mtr Loa. Cornelsz Vroom painted a number. I think he was no sailor becaus of sailing but more a warrior using ships. A bit different than Francis Drake or Michiel de Ruyter and Witte de Wit. They were rightout sailors (and warriors alike).
Old 13-01-2012, 19:30   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Exactly, they were small boats

You guys know the story of Tromp who tied a broom to his mast after a victory against the English? It was to show he wiped/swept them off the sea (like Minaret already hinted at I think ) Legends!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 13-01-2012, 19:48   #90

I tried to find some prints of those ships from the 15th century but that is not so easy.
This picture will give somehow an impression, although it is not a typical "Zuiderzee" fisherman. This is the forerunner of the "Hoogaars".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spriettuig 16e eeuw.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	35938