Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 12:44   #1

Too much rust?

Iím attaching pictures of a 1986 universal m25 that is currently in a Catalina 30. There are some spots near the transmission that have a lot of rust and would like some input from the knowledgeable crew here on cruisers forum. Looking to buy the boat in these attached pics and want to know, if the engine runs good and shifts good, is the rust anything to worry about? Can I replace the rusty parts easily?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37E96478-6858-447C-B701-7A580461F983.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	205118   Click image for larger version

Name:	CABADDD1-B211-4D88-958A-0C18E25F7D03.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	205119  

Name:	56724696-C7C8-44B3-8773-2D0078A50459.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	205120   Click image for larger version

Name:	56FA39FA-B969-4AE1-BF06-3B6CB336A051.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	205121  

Name:	2FB3B565-FEDA-4730-B55C-8C7D813447B2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	205122   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6F7B2C0-88B3-47BB-AB2C-E0E271D26565.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	205123  

Dpmmvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 14:50   #2

Re: Too much rust?

Run Forrest, Run!

Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:05   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Outside the shaft coupler (easy to replace) the rest doesnít look bad from the pics. My concern would be if the coupler was let to go that far, what other things have been let go as well. Hard to say whatís under the exhaust wrap, test of the engine looks to be in pretty good shape though.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:17   #4
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmmvc View Post
....... is the rust anything to worry about? Can I replace the rusty parts easily?
Yes.
Not easily!

Of course these defects are fixable and the degree of difficultly is dependent on your ability and/or the size of your wallet.

There is also some serious hose chaff in the third picture.

However the bigger concern would be the high probability of finding much more "deferred maintenance" once you start repairing the obvious areas.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:32   #5

I was thinking the packing nut may be spilling saltwater on the coupling at the back of transmission. The exhaust hose was replaced from the muffler. To bad they didnít replace the exhaust elbow..
Dpmmvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 16:04   #6

The fiberglass matt covering part of the exhaust system is a condensation trap. Unless it was frequently aired it probably has a lot of rust underneath. I have a 40 year old Universal 5432 which had a similar set up. And few years back when it started overheating first thing I was told to check was the exhaust elbow. It was done from both inside (clogged with heavy salt calcification) and outside (rust galore and). The middle of it was turning into rusty dust with a push of a thumb but the screwed in ends were welded-like tight. Was a PITA getting it off without breaking anything else nearby but we did it and the new iron elbow does not have the fiberglass wrap and the heat is not an issue.

As others have said this is an indication of lack of maintenance in general. Even if obtained for free the boat can become a money pit for the unweary or not handy enough person. But OTOH if the boat is otherwise solid and not too beat up inside and you're on good teerms with your hands and have time and inclination this can be a fun if time consuming project. The rusted out parts are not a rocket science to replace as long as you don't listen too much to the naysayers or to the boatyard vultures. Just figure out if you're like sailing more or tinkering on the boat more before you commit to such a boat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 16:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Outside the shaft coupler (easy to replace) the rest doesnít look bad from the pics. My concern would be if the coupler was let to go that far, what other things have been let go as well. Hard to say whatís under the exhaust wrap, test of the engine looks to be in pretty good shape though.
It took me a week of 8hr days to get off a shaft flange that was in much better condition than that. I eventually put a 7" cut-off wheel on my grinder and cut the lot out shaft and all.
Old 15-12-2019, 17:33   #8
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It took me a week of 8hr days to get off a shaft flange that was in much better condition than that. I eventually put a 7" cut-off wheel on my grinder and cut the lot out shaft and all.
Do take note of this. ^^

Yes, something a rusty looking coupler comes apart in the matter of minutes/hours and a new one is fitted the same day. Heck, I have even managed to sandblast and reuse the old one on occasion.

BUT not always...

You can end up needing a new coupler, a new shaft, a new cutlass bearing, new stern gland, new packing ....... new job to pay for it all.

You get the picture

Keep you eyes wide open and assess with your head and not with your heart!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 17:33   #9

Quote:
Does it mean it would have continued working fine had you not touched it?
Old 15-12-2019, 17:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Does it mean it would have continued working fine had you not touched it?
Had to get it off to replace this shattered damper plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Damper plate old.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	205145  
Old 15-12-2019, 17:53   #11
rbk

Quote:
They can be ignorant sometimes. I use heat and a gear puller, if youíve got the room. Sometimes itís easier to lift the engine to make the room for it. I think the biggest issue is people try and save the coupler when in most cases they should be replaced. Iíve also cut a slit into the coupler on two sides and used a chisel to break it apart.
Old 15-12-2019, 17:57   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
They can be ignorant sometimes. I use heat and a gear puller, if youíve got the room. Sometimes itís easier to lift the engine to make the room for it. I think the biggest issue is people try and save the coupler when in most cases they should be replaced. Iíve also cut a slit into the coupler on two sides and used a chisel to break it apart.
Six cuts if I remember, cold chisel, dry ice, heat gun, an entire can of PB Blaster ..... then I gave up and just cut the shaft off.
Old 15-12-2019, 18:12   #13

Quote:
Had to get it off to replace this shattered damper plate.
Yikes!
Old 15-12-2019, 18:39   #14
rbk

Quote:
Six cuts if I remember, cold chisel, dry ice, heat gun, an entire can of PB Blaster ..... then I gave up and just cut the shaft off.
Sometimes itís just itís time lol I wouldnít have made it per day one before cutting the shaft. You have the patience of a saint.
Old 15-12-2019, 18:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Sometimes itís just itís time lol I wouldnít have made it per day one before cutting the shaft. You have the patience of a saint.
Nah ! .... 1600 miles from home, just wanted to save the flange and the shaft.