Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 21:42   #1

Tom Colvin's lug-sail Auray Fisherman Dinghy

Hello Forum members,

My name is John Robinson and I live in Townsville, North Queensland, Australia. I acquired the plans for the Tom Colvin's junk-rigged schooner 'Gazelle' and built and sailed her("Iola") in these waters before she was sold over 10 years ago. When Tom posted the plans he also included a drawing for the construction of a 9' lug-rigged dinghy of his design, the Auray Fisherman. I didn't actually build the dinghy then but have a desire to do so in my retirement to add to our caravanning lifestyle. Being familiar with the ease of handling of the junk rig (the lugsail being of the same family) the Auray Fisherman dinghy would seem to be a great compromise for lake or bay sailing/rowing, with perhaps a small outboard added for greater flexibility re fishing and exploring. Sadly, I lent the drawing to a friend who now advises me that he's lost it! I've started trawling the net in the hope of connecting with someone who similarly might have the drawing, from which I might obtain a copy, and have emailed the Colvin website (though Tom has since passed away) and I may yet get a reply from that quarter. In the meantime, I wonder whether someone among forum members might be able to assist me in my quest?
Look forward to what I hope may be a favourable reply from members who might have tuned in to the thread.
Kind regards,
John Robinson
yelrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:54   #2

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Re: Tom Colvin's lug-sail Auray Fisherman Dinghy

I checked our plans and no dingy included. I have contacted a friend and if he has a line on the plans I will let you know.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 21:54   #3

Thanks for the reply witchcraft. Sorry about the delay but Internet reception has been sporadic.
Look forward to hearing from you as to whether your friend has had better luck.
Kind regards
John Robinson
Old 09-02-2016, 02:25   #4

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Sorry they did not have plans either...checking with one more person and don't worry about the delay.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:11   #5

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Hello,

I have one Of these dinghies, I could send pictures of it. I don’t have any plans, I am away for work and the boat is hauled out on an island, in the spring in could email you 0lenty of pics the dinghy came with the Doxy I bought.

Kris
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 20:35   #6

Hello Kristjan,
Isn't that amazing - after well over a year you picked up the thread relating to my original message looking for a plan for the Auray dinghy!
As it turned out, when my friend did a big cleanup prior to shifting he actually found the drawing so I'm happy to say it's now back in my possession. It's also interesting that in the last couple of days I've been thinking about getting it built in aluminium and trying to work out a means of altering the roof rack on my vehicle to accommodate it - a rather amazing, albeit slightly spooky coincidence don't you think?!
Nevertheless, thanks for getting back to me, and I'd very much appreciate some photos of the dinghy. Perhaps it was the Colvin connection that was the reason for my thread coming to light, as presumably you might have been trawling the forum for other Colvin hits at the time. As i indicated in my post I built Colvin's Gazelle and if you're interested I'll also see if I can dig up some photos of her. As you may know, Tom recently passed away and will be a great loss to the cruising fraternity
Tom's book of designs is packed away in a container in Townsville, Queensland while we are travelling long-term around Australia and are currently in Perth, Western Australia, but from memory Doxy was a double-ended pinky design of about 38'or 42' length and of quite heavy displacement? Is she lug or gaff rigged? Just as keen to see some pictures of her as well as the dinghy if that's OK.
Again Kristjan, thanks for kind offer and good luck with your Doxy.
Look forward to hearing from you again when convenient. My email address is johnrobin@bigpond.com
Kind regards,
John Robinson
Perth, Western Australia

Tags
dinghy, fish, Fisher, sail