Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 23:20   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Your analysis of green house gas is flawed. But you know that right? Tolerance is okay. I guess. I really try to give opinion that has a real related experience. Sometimes I find that what I experienced and my conclusion is wrong. Like you are wrong about climate change. Which is opinion and only backed up by scientist that agree with me.
I can tolerate this wrong view you have. Giving unfounded emotional views and unsupported advice I frown upon.
I will tolerate your posts as you usually have good information.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not just say you disagree with her analysis and opinions instead of claiming she is wrong? Why not "I believe you are wrong?" Just curious. Saying you will "tolerate this wrong view you have" is a bit condescending. Perhaps it's your view that's wrong? Perhaps you're both wrong? Perhaps you both have some things right. But they're opinions. I'm just not sure how any of us get to decide the opinions of others are wrong. Just they're ones we disagree with.
__________________

__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 23:31   #47
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
Re: Tolerance

No it's not condescending. It's acknowledging and supportive. She is wrong because her data is unsupported. I acknowledge that I have made mistakes too. I agree to tolerate her misinformed view. Compliments to her usually good quality and knowledge. Sorry if I upset you. Any assumed humor was not intended. I will retain what I will tolerate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 23:49   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll toss out one other question in that regard. There seems to be some belief by many here that if you don't sail you're not a cruiser and by others that if you don't sail full time and/or live aboard you're not a true cruiser. It's almost like if you don't forsake all the things most people have or the type lives others lead then you don't really belong.
Sometimes people attempt to diminish another person's opinion by putting them into what they deem to be an undesirable category.

It's a form of ad hominem argument -- claiming that someone's point is invalid because of some irrelevant personal fact (real or perceived), or that they're not really a member of the group.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 23:56   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
No it's not condescending. It's acknowledging and supportive. She is wrong because her data is unsupported. I acknowledge that I have made mistakes too. I agree to tolerate her misinformed view. Compliments to her usually good quality and knowledge. Sorry if I upset you. Any assumed humor was not intended. I will retain what I will tolerate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't worry about assumed humor. I found no humor in it.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 00:55   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll toss out one other question in that regard. There seems to be some belief by many here that if you don't sail you're not a cruiser and by others that if you don't sail full time and/or live aboard you're not a true cruiser. It's almost like if you don't forsake all the things most people have or the type lives others lead then you don't really belong.
I think that you are being a bit defensive here. Folks who don't sail at all can't be cruising sailors... I think that is a reasonable assertation!

And for the other categories that you suggest, well, from experience I can say that folks who live aboard full time are involved with a very different set of life experiences afloat than those who are weekend sailors, or once a quarter sailors or twice a year charterers. And those who cruise, far away from home waters 12 months out of the year surely experience vastly different joys and crises and dispair and... I don't know about what we "belong" to, but we ARE different.

Obviously one can define "cruiser" however one wants. If you chose to say that anyone who sails that does not race is a cruiser, well, it is OK with me... but many of them live in a different world than mine. I don't claim superiority of lifestyle, but I defend my differing perceptions of "cruising".

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:08   #51
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,030
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll toss out one other question in that regard. There seems to be some belief by many here that if you don't sail you're not a cruiser and by others that if you don't sail full time and/or live aboard you're not a true cruiser.
BandB, are you trying to explore why people behave with less civility online (are more intolerant)? Or, are you simply trying to address how specific topics have been dealt with in the recent past? Examples are good, but if you just want to re-hash old discussions, then I'll exit now. They will inevitably lead down the same rabbit hole -- as we can already see happening.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:22   #52
cruiser

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 164
Re: Tolerance

If I need a dose of intolerance I just watch Fox News for an hour.
__________________
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23   #53
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's not uncompromising views that are the issue, it's the disrespect of others with conflicting views.
I hoped everyone would have recognized that my call for us to not tolerate any more intolerance was pure jest! Yes, I was willing to make light of a serious topic. I choose to see the best in people and tend to smile and excuse myself from arguments by those that are unwilling to consider alternatives. I don't choose to attempt to reason with those that are blindly set in a path and refuse to consider other options. Of course, you are right. Those with uncompromising views can be polite; however, they don't promote any conversation. I still tend to smile, nod and walk away after a brief attempt to share alternative views. Wether it's a live encounter or an online conversation people who refuse to discuss alternative options politely don't deserve a response.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:42   #54
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: Tolerance

It is a "me" world! At same time I think the "news" and all the "information" we now get makes us feel it is ok to just say stuff, especially on the internet.



"" because it isn't really how much of that stuffs slots of times something pretending to be them
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17   #55
Registered User
 
John Casey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 103
Re: Tolerance

Interesting thread for a newbie to come across here, although I am a veteran of many other forums.

I agree with Sailorboy1 that the vast majority of people have an egocentric view of most things, which exacerbates the fact that they truly understand very little at the end of the day.

I'm referring to "understanding" in the cognitive hierarchy sense. My simplified model: Data => Information =>Knowledge => Understanding

You hear a sound bite on the news and all of a sudden it’s a “fact” and you must make all people see it your way, or belittle/compartmentalize/label those that don’t.

I only know enough about sailing/cruising to make me dangerous, which is why I’m here. I know my limits and it does no one any good to hide them.

The same for any subject. I love to hear people proselytize about global warming and/or climate change with their so-called facts and data. The only people I actually listen to are those that say in so many words, “it depends” or “we don’t really know,” whether they have a PhD next to their name or not.
__________________
lowflite.com
John Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:25   #56
Registered User
 
Seagullf111a's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maine
Boat: PSC 34
Posts: 17
Re: Tolerance

My favorite reply from the late Rodney King, " Why can't we all just get along?".
__________________
Seagullf111a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:34   #57
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Obviously one can define "cruiser" however one wants. If you chose to say that anyone who sails that does not race is a cruiser, well, it is OK with me... but many of them live in a different world than mine. I don't claim superiority of lifestyle, but I defend my differing perceptions of "cruising".

Cheers,

Jim
You can define "cruiser" however you want. The topic here is tolerance, and a specific use of labeling in discussions.

If you have to bring up your definition of cruiser in a discussion, it's likely being used to say that the other person's point isn't valid. If their point really isn't valid, then the better way to make your point wouldn't be to label them, but to point out the flaw in their reasoning.

My definition of cruiser would be all those people who sail (or motor) from place to place in boats, whether they do it full-time, one season a year, on the weekends, or one week a year. I suppose you could debate about those who live in "their home waters" on a boat full-time, and rarely move their boat, but they have a lot in common with the people who sailed in from some distant port. After all, most people sail to a place and stay a while.

If you exclude all those people who aren't uber-cruisers, this forum becomes pretty small, and loses quite a bit of diversity of opinion. We all live in the same world, and that world intersects in this forum, as well as at the docks at the local marina.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:36   #58
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW399 View Post
If I need a dose of intolerance I just watch Fox News for an hour.
Or listen to NPR!
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52   #59
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 398
Re: Tolerance

You missed the memo that "real" cruisers are not conservative.
__________________
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:08   #60
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
You missed the memo that "real" cruisers are not conservative.
It must have only been broadcast on MSNBC!
__________________

__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Tolerance To Chain Size Dave22q Anchoring & Mooring 3 30-08-2012 09:43
Engine Alignment Tolerance Bill S Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 23-05-2011 13:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.