Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 06:15   #76

Boat: Hunter 50 CC
Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
As the initiator of this huge thread, let me try to pull us back to the original query; what is a REASONABLE tip for marina service providers. This seems to be a uniquely North American issue. Frankly, I feel that unless they do something significantly above and beyond the expected, they should receive our thanks and that's all. When that unique event DOES occur, tip an amount consistent with the deed and your conscience.
+1

We can dock our boat and tie the lines without assistance in all but the worst of conditions. If we see a boat coming in we offer to help.

We recently had a line-handler UNTIE our spring line while it was being used to dock. This was in a high-cost marina. His act, and my failure to respond quick enough to his unexpected action resulted in some minor gellcoat rubbing. I wanted to hunt him down and beat him but I'm pretty sure that would have been frowned upon.

If Marina staff are in the area I think that they should offer to help as part of their normal duties. I do NOT depend on them to know how to secure my lines.

I've only tipped for line handling once and that was for unrequested assistance in a downpour.

As for waitstaff, we do a little research when preparing to visit our next destination to see what the local customs are and tip, or not tip, as appropriate.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:36   #77

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

UK approach to tipping Unfair tipping targeted by UK government proposals - BBC News
Old 14-04-2017, 18:21   #78
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I'd say $5.00 is the average.

I'm the dockmaster at an Active Captain 5 star rated marina on the U.S. East Coast. We docked 29 transient boats last weekend, pumped thousands of gallons of fuel, pumped too many gallons of poo, and had a great time doing it!

I never worked in a career where I saw tips. When I first started here and got my first tip, I wasn't sure what to do. I don't expect tips, and get paid a good wage. I tried to turn down my first tip, but realized later that the customer could be insulted if I turned down the tip? I still don't expect a tip after 8 months of doing my job, but usually walk home with a pretty good wad in my pocket.

I have a question for you customers. What determines whether you tip or not? My assistant dockmaster is a late 40's blond female. Not unattractive, and super friendly. For some reason, she hardly ever gets tipped. She catches lines, pumps fuel, and does pumpouts....just like myself. Not sure it is because she is female, or just too friendly? Ideas?

Also, I haven't figured out the palming thing (where there is a handshake offered with a bill in it). What's that all about? I'm a mid 60 year old cruiser taking a break and building the cruising kitty for awhile. Personally, I'd rather you make my job easier instead of tipping me. Countless times, I see the wife on the bow with a line, and the wind on the stern blowing 15. Please have the stern line ready, or at least an aft spring, followed quickly by a stern line if the wind is behind you.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 18:36   #79
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What about the marina that sends out two dock hands that I neither requested nor needed? A $10 docking fee, on top of the already high-end transient fee and silly power fee. No.

At another marina, the dock master meets you, takes one line as needed, and turns on his heel, with a polite wave, before any exchange could take place?

I had a number of jobs were I did things that by this stretch, could have been tipped. I would have found it weird. I was paid. If it was not enough, I would not have taken the job.

I understand and accept restaurants and housekeeping, though I think both are pathetic norms. No, I will not be extending that. The price should be the price. Why should I be hit with extras, if the marina will not negotiate the rate down just as easily? The more expensive the joint, the more folks stick their hands out. Silly.
Old 14-04-2017, 18:59   #80

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I have no clue as to the detail, but I tip for the seemingly "standard" "extra" service here on the west coast. [Yeah, iI realize extant and standard are not the same in theory.] I am unaware of the internal point of service protocols, but have assumed (not ass-u-and-me) that the tip I gave to the guy, or gal at times, seemingly in charge of doing the work was shared with others, but I do not know. I do recall an old friend tipped not only the dock master, but everyone else, but this was at the end of the season at his east coast yacht club.Wish I had more information, but I do not Added thought, I am usually happy with and even feel obligated to the person who pumps out the holding tank!
Old 14-04-2017, 20:00   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'd say $5.00 is the average.

I'm the dockmaster at an Active Captain 5 star rated marina on the U.S. East Coast. We docked 29 transient boats last weekend, pumped thousands of gallons of fuel, pumped too many gallons of poo, and had a great time doing it!

I never worked in a career where I saw tips. When I first started here and got my first tip, I wasn't sure what to do. I don't expect tips, and get paid a good wage. I tried to turn down my first tip, but realized later that the customer could be insulted if I turned down the tip? I still don't expect a tip after 8 months of doing my job, but usually walk home with a pretty good wad in my pocket.

I have a question for you customers. What determines whether you tip or not? My assistant dockmaster is a late 40's blond female. Not unattractive, and super friendly. For some reason, she hardly ever gets tipped. She catches lines, pumps fuel, and does pumpouts....just like myself. Not sure it is because she is female, or just too friendly? Ideas?

Also, I haven't figured out the palming thing (where there is a handshake offered with a bill in it). What's that all about? I'm a mid 60 year old cruiser taking a break and building the cruising kitty for awhile. Personally, I'd rather you make my job easier instead of tipping me. Countless times, I see the wife on the bow with a line, and the wind on the stern blowing 15. Please have the stern line ready, or at least an aft spring, followed quickly by a stern line if the wind is behind you.

Ralph
THe poor blond lady loses out because hubby on board doesn't want to be seen tipping a lovely lady, trust me I've had the angry glares from 'T'for doing such!.

I'm not a fan of tipping at all and believe in a fair wage system. I do tip for exceptional assistance beyond the normal or in bad weather etc. or for doing something I expected to pay for but wasn't asked to. Like once the guy that brought over an electric pump and pumped out the dinghy in davits, from his dory when the transom drain had been blocked with leaves I used frequently to get in trouble for tipping a stunning young Chinese lady a whole dollar more than I normally gave her colleagues, always was a sucker for a sweety.How much better it isall round when service is included in a fair price and a fair wage.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 20:53   #82

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

I'm waiting to see someone chime in here about helping the pump out person with the hose, cleaning up anything and tipping them...
just like in coffee shops and small bakeries... the customer orders their food/drink, sits at a table and eats/drinks... when they're done they bus their own dishes and trash and on top of that... they left a tip at the cash register when they paid for their food/drink and carried to their own table.

My personal take on it is I pay a small amount as a token of appreciation and even then... limit it to my budget.
I'm not responsible for that fact that in 2017 some occupations are still not paid a decent wage for the work done.

If someone goes above their usual responsibilities... if I can determine that... then I'll show gratitude either with money or a gift.
Old 15-04-2017, 03:47   #83

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Thanks RTB. That was a good, informative post.

I'm on the non-tipping side of all things, except, as other's have mentioned, in the rare occasion when an employee really goes above & beyond the job description.

I'm surprised your blonde colleague gets fewer tips. Although my husband shares my views, when we do tip, he is always a softie for a good looking and efficient female.

Tipping is rare in the Balearics where we sail. We see it occasionally, but is certainly not the norm. We do not tip.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 05:07   #84

We usually tip about $5 for helping tie up and $10 for pump outs (because what a nasty chore). I worked my way through college and I remember how good it felt to get a tip. I was always happy to get anything. No amount offended me.

When we do tip, I usually say something like "Thanks, let us buy you a cold drink."

It is a very small part of our cruising budget.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:16   #85

The problem with tips for dock staff is they start prioritizing service to the big boats. Been at a few fuEl docks where the big MY bumps the small sail boat for service because the staff see $$.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:24   #86
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

I have a question for you customers. What determines whether you tip or not?
Besides the "normal" of great service or they did something "special", for me it is just lots of times whether they are still around or whether they disappeared.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:38   #87

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

We had 'free' weekly pumpouts included in our slip fee when we lived aboard from a boat conspicuously marked 'tips apreciated'. Some gave $10 tips which amounts to $520/year for a free service? We came to a local friendly agreement with the poop man and gave him $50 or so annuallyat Christmas which was better than many neighbours who contrived to be missing in action on theregular pumpout days.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:45   #88
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

It strikes me as comical that a pump-out is considered a nasty chore. Compared to a diaper--which is just part of life--it is nothing at all. If you even see the waste, more than one drop, you are doing it all wrong.

What is the big deal? Is it misplaced dignity, as though we can't be expected to deal with our own poop? That we need to pay someone lower to?

Deal with your own poop.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:47   #89

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I never tip the line handlers or the poo pumpers. I am always the first to complain about poor service.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:02   #90

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
It strikes me as comical that a pump-out is considered a nasty chore. Compared to a diaper--which is just part of life--it is nothing at all. If you even see the waste, more than one drop, you are doing it all wrong.

What is the big deal? Is it misplaced dignity, as though we can't be expected to deal with our own poop? That we need to pay someone lower to?

Deal with your own poop.
HAHAHA..... having worked in the field with various EMS departments and in hospital laboratories... I feel fully qualified to say...
1. YES! Your Poop DOES STINK! Some more than others.
2. I ain't scared of sh*!... I respect what might be lurking in it... butt I've dealt with worse... nice hot abdominal fluids anyone?
3. Although I can't shake the common movie comedy scene where a pump hose bursts showering everyone next to it in brown sauce... I'm hoping pumpout stations are in better shape! But... opening up that plastic tub full of sloshy stool specimen a compliant patient was nice enough to bring in so we could streak agar plates (under the hood!) with squiggly lines, then warm ever-so-lovingly in the incubator... well... let's just say it became just another part of the job... and I NEVER got a tip for THAT!

It's not as bad when the specimen comes in the correct container... WITH THE LID SECURELY FASTENED! It's not so nice when the job was apparently a bit too difficult for the 'collector' and you have stool smeared on the outside, leaked into the plastic bag, or presented in a container that looks like they had just finished emptying in the kitchen and thought... this looks clean enough!

So... while I might have been paid more than someone working on the docks (although I'm sure not in every case), for my exposure to various body fluids (to include a nice splatter job down the front of my scrubs when helping with a vomiting patient in the ED or ICU), I think some days I'd rather pump a boat out with no gratuity!