Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2016, 06:15   #76

Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409
Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
As the initiator of this huge thread, let me try to pull us back to the original query; what is a REASONABLE tip for marina service providers. This seems to be a uniquely North American issue. Frankly, I feel that unless they do something significantly above and beyond the expected, they should receive our thanks and that's all. When that unique event DOES occur, tip an amount consistent with the deed and your conscience.

We can dock our boat and tie the lines without assistance in all but the worst of conditions. If we see a boat coming in we offer to help.

We recently had a line-handler UNTIE our spring line while it was being used to dock. This was in a high-cost marina. His act, and my failure to respond quick enough to his unexpected action resulted in some minor gellcoat rubbing. I wanted to hunt him down and beat him but I'm pretty sure that would have been frowned upon.

If Marina staff are in the area I think that they should offer to help as part of their normal duties. I do NOT depend on them to know how to secure my lines.

I've only tipped for line handling once and that was for unrequested assistance in a downpour.

As for waitstaff, we do a little research when preparing to visit our next destination to see what the local customs are and tip, or not tip, as appropriate.

Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:36   #77

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

UK approach to tipping Unfair tipping targeted by UK government proposals - BBC News

My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: