Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 10:23   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And, who deserves a tip more - The person who takes down your order and brings you food cooked by someone else or the guy who runs down the dock in the wind and rain and fends off and ties up your $200K boat?

How about the guy who cooked it, don't they deserve a tip, or the guy who cleans the table, or the girl who walked you to the table, they don't deserve something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

I heard a guy complaining about the amount of the tip on his $600 restaurant bill. He felt $120.00 was too much and he was already paying for a $600 bill. So he left around $75.00

Don't be cheap, act like you can afford it or go do something you can afford.

Really? $75 isn't enough for a tip? How many other tables was this person waiting on simultaneously, two or three others? Were they there for an hour or so, so the Waiter should be tipped by three people $120 ea for an hours work?

These are examples of why tipping confuses me, I think it's nuts, where did it get started anyway?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:44   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess I'm the bad guy here as tipping sort of confuses me.
I understand tipping a Waitress or Waiter, it is understood that their pay for whatever reason is below par and they are expected to make it up with a tip.
Why this is, I have no idea, makes no sense to me.

So who gets a tip, everybody? Do you tip the guy who catches the line, the guy who hands you the fuel hose, cause I have never, not even once had someone else fuel me, do you tip the person behind the register who takes your money too?

OK, I am being ridiculous and doing so intentionally to make a point, point being I don't tip someone who is just doing their job.

Now if it's windy as heck and I call the office and ask someone to come to the slip and help me tie up, well whoever shows up is getting a $20, cause that is over and above their job, and I requested "special handling" and got it, therefore I owe, in my opinion.
WOT he said plus plus! Skimpy bikinis or tiny shorts and a smile works (if of course they are young ladies and my own lovely lady hasn't noticed that my gaze has frozen but a scruffy oik clearing his throat with hand held out doesn't, .

Our marina's free pumpout boat has painted on it's large strorage tank 'tips are appreciated' I thought about saying 'don't spill any on your feet'. When we were liveaboards and having weekly pumpouts it could potentially get very expensive so ( on advice from a neighbour) we used to put $100 in the Christmas box which solved the problem also of frequently not actually being present when 'stinky' stopped by.

I pay for fuel by credit card and don't generally carry cash, so fuel dock handlers are generally out of luck, notwithstanding the bikini rule above. MY wife carries our paper money and the skimpy bikini trick is lost on her, especially if she had caught me staring!.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:46   #18

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How about the guy who cooked it, don't they deserve a tip, or the guy who cleans the table, or the girl who walked you to the table, they don't deserve something?
These are examples of why tipping confuses me, I think it's nuts, where did it get started anyway?
a64, It seems like you have never worked in a restaurant environment before. My wife and daughters have and one still does waitress for tips. The last I heard my daughter was making $3.25 per hour plus tips.
Some establishments report their wait staff's income based on food sales multiplied by a set tip rate(10-12% if I recall). So ones IRS reported income could be more than their actual intake if they have bad tippers. This would provide an incentive to work for a little harder sometimes.
Also note that some of the waitstaff will tip the busboy at the end of their shift, I don't recall if that also applied to the hostess or cook.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:46   #19

Doubt if we ever tipped line help, fuel dock folks, etc in the US. Restaurant help usually get paid below minimum wage in light of tipping tradition. Other folks usually do not since they get paid to do their jobs. Most yacht clubs ban tipping of any help since it creates favoritism.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:52   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
It was NEVER 10%.
Obviously, you're not as old as me . . . I retired 18 years ago at the age of 65. Prior to this, I worked for the biggest U.S. corporation (in the world?) for many years and had an expense account. We were limited to 10% tips for everyday meals. 15% was reserved for entertaining a party group so please don't tell me what was appropriate or allowed.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:58   #21

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100 Cat

On the other side of the World around Australia, tipping is not a custom. Not that all Australians a cheapskates, it is that it is just not customary. If someone helps you with your lines at the marina a polite "thanks mate and how are you going today" is all that is expected. Most people freely assist because it is the right thing to do.

If you are a regular that always needs assitance, then a carton of coldies or some lotto tickets will usually do the trick around Christmas time,....or anytime for that matter!

In restaurants etc, staff are paid the award wage and dont really expect tips as they are doing the job they are paid for. Again, a polite 'thank you, that was a loverly meal' usually suffices. Although, I have noticed that tipping is becoming more prevalent . I guess thats from all the American TV shows we get over here,.......damn shame!
AnamCara-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just FYI - there is a huge difference in the 'tipping culture' in US vs the rest of the world.

'Tips are us' is the USA. 'Tips are rare (and much smaller and often not cash and sometimes insulting)' is more common in the rest of the world

Also note the rest of the world is not homogeneous on this - in middle east/asia it is a negotiating culture, in europe it is not (generally).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:42   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

When I was a dish washer in a small restaurant (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). The customary rate was 10% for breakfasts, 15% for lunch and dinners. The cooks were given a portion as well as the soda fountain guy, alas no presents for the lowly dishwasher, I was just happy to have a job. During that time is when the IRS implemented the tax on tips, and they calculated if they got 8% reporting they were doing good. I use the "tip when it feels appropriate" rule of thumb, I don't feel obligated to tip every counter person everywhere I go.
Old 25-04-2016, 12:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Evans is right -- tipping is not customary most places, what concerns marine services and things around the dock.

My first winter at Cowes, I ordered a set of new batteries, 8 x 25kg or nearly a quarter of a ton of them. I woke up one morning to find that the young marina guys had humped them down to my boat and were carrying them on board for me. I was amazed and gratified and tried to give them money, but they refused, and I believe they were mildly insulted, as if I were treating them as servants.

I since found out that is just the culture of the place. So instead of tipping, I lend them a hand as often as I can, and I bring back booze from Helgoland when I return from the Baltic, which unlike tips, is gratefully received. The kindnesses they have done for me are impossible to count, and I at least try to show my gratitude for this, every chance I get.

Over time I learned to carry an extra case of good rum or whiskey, to give as presents, as tokens of gratitude, when someone does something particularly nice. A bottle does not have the same master-servant implication that a tip does.

In the U.S., practically no one is ashamed to be paid, any sum, under any circumstances, by anyone. It is different in many other places.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:20   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've never worked in a restaurant, I understand they wait staff is sometimes paid under minimum wage, that confuses me and I think should not be allowed, but I do tip there because of that.

But it bothers me when I walk up to a counter to order Coffee, that I sit there and wait for and there is a "tip" jar, and it does seem more and more in the US, people seem to expect a tip for doing their job, sorry I just don't understand that, you get a tip if I sit down and you bring it to me, not if I have to wait for it, do you tip at fast food restaurants? Why not?
I can go on and on about people whom have given me service that I did not tip and some like the Dr. I just got my flt physical with, would think absurd if I were to offer him a "tip".
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:23   #26

Yup, back in the 50s and 60s, it was 10% but most folks tipped 5%. In the 70s the move was to 15%, and then by the 90s to 20%. Some are pushing for 30% nowadays.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:29   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

Quote:
It was NEVER 10%. It's been 15% for as many decades as I remember. It was never as a "Thank you for above average service" or to 'motivate' people. The tip-based service industry (Valets, Wait Staff, Bellman, etc) all work for below minimum wage. Their compensation is direct from you. You not tipping is them not getting paid to perform services for you.

The service industry is working the tip into the bill at restaurants just like they are on the cruise lines.......because some people are being really, really cheap.

I heard a guy complaining about the amount of the tip on his $600 restaurant bill. He felt $120.00 was too much and he was already paying for a $600 bill. So he left around $75.00

Don't be cheap, act like you can afford it or go do something you can afford.
I'm not sure that as a customer + friend who are eating in a restaurant and paying up to 500%+ extra for a meal I can cook myself.. (not counting mark up on wines) and often better I really appreciate being called cheap because I'm not enthralled with the prospect of subsidising the owners holidays to the Maldives etc that I can't afford.
The 'Cheapskates' are the employers, Not the customers.. really gets my goat when the 'Well Padded' get all Righteous.
$120-$75 or even $25 is a lot to some of us here.. this is not to say I do not tip.. in the UK good service will earn the waiter/waitress the price of a pint.. if more than 2 people I've been known to stretch to 2 pints..

Yeah...!! Your don't eat in the same place as me coz you can't match my tip really struck home.. eat yer heart out...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:49   #28

I really don't understand the increase in percent over the years. The fact that prices have gone up because of inflation gives them more money, so why do they need a second hit with a higher percent? They keep up with inflation by higher prices...does a waitress/server really need to make $200-$250 a night waiting tables? That's more than a starting teacher with a Masters degree makes for Christ sake.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:50   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just FYI - there is a huge difference in the 'tipping culture' in US vs the rest of the world.

'Tips are us' is the USA. 'Tips are rare (and much smaller and often not cash and sometimes insulting)' is more common in the rest of the world

Also note the rest of the world is not homogeneous on this - in middle east/asia it is a negotiating culture, in europe it is not (generally).

As a Brit and having worked for European companies and later my own business throughout Europe as well as having cruised there extensively will concur with Evan. In both France and Spain, the practice of adding percentage tips was generally eased out and replaced with 'servis compris' ( included) on menus although many would add something(metal money usually) as an extra gesture of appreciation. I understand the US custom but do not like it, nor the fact that quoted prices do not include tax either for that matter I just would actually like to know what I'm signed up for, not what will be divvied up sperately afterwards to staff and/or the IRS coffers I especially do not understand why if I'm paying for a party of >6 It should generate a compulsory a bigger tip ( some say 18% minimum) whereas in my mind a bulk discount would be more appropriate. These days and not affording to eat fine dining very often, I normally tip in food establishments $4 for a meal out for the two of us, in some places that will be 15% in others 20%, even more but generally we get smiles from the staff when we return. In a buffet a $4 tip for someone who is simply clearing dirty plates from time to time is downright OTT but again the cuteness factor counts even if others around us are only leaving $1 or $2. on the table.

ANd for all who think I'm a cheapskate, please remember some of us are living on small pension incomes not company expense accounts.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:56   #30

Boat: Schooner scow

Seems I've opened up a bit of a hornet's nest with this post. Lots of variation and some opposition. One point I'd like to make is that the tip minefield exists simply because it is completely undocumented. By that I mean there are no signs defining just what the expectations are in any marina. In restaurants, generally custom assures an approximate understanding of what constitutes a reasonable tip at least in North America. If marinas had a sign that advised potential clients, especially transient ones, of the expected tip for service personnel, it would allow the client to decide one way or the other. I fully agree that tipping has simply gotten out of hand in some venues. I believe that everyone should be receiving the dignity of a reasonable wage for reasonable work and to provide less than that in the expectation that the client will make up the difference is unconscionable! As one poster commented, if prices rose as a result so be it; the net cost to the client would be the same.