Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 05:13   #61

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

We wrote a blog post back in 2009 on changes we saw on the ICW over a period of almost two decades. The observations still apply today, maybe more so. We have definitely seen big changes and continue to see them. This was published in one of the major boating magazine, I just can't remember which...The Trawler Beach House: Changes On The ICW . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 05:18   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I think I understand Boatman's lament. In the 1970's, when we started cruising in our early twenties, it seemed that most other cruisers were our age. We were all new, excited and eager to support each other and share our joy. Strangely, now most new cruisers are again our age, but they are comming from another life long ashore. They seem to be entitled with the purchase of their new life and expecting technology to pilot them. There are exceptions and even the new aloof can come around with some time.
Old 21-05-2014, 05:32   #63
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Which one.. there have been so many...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 04:21   #64

I do sometimes choose my anchorages to get away from people. But, I don't get bent out of shape if somebody comes by later and anchors nearby. Unless it looks like we may go bump in the night. I'll also lend a hand if I can. Which has it's benefits. Saw an old couple in Block Island get their prop wrapped around a mooring line. So I jump in with a snorkel mask to try and help. I was not successful as the line was wrapped pretty tight so a diver was called. Another boat came by as I was swimming back to my boat and gave me a bottle of wine for my efforts.
Old 22-05-2014, 04:53   #65

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

I found boating people to be pretty friendly and eager to help. Launching my boat from a trailer single handed attracts lots of offers from strangers to help. I spent the last 36 years in and out of recreational aviation and that would never happen with strangers.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:08   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm not a full-timer (yet), but I do cruise more than 500 nm away from home at times. I can count on one hand the number of dickish cruisers I've run into. The vast majority of people cruising the Great Lakes that I've encountered have been the hearty wave and cockpit party kind of folks. Of course, we don't run into a lot of people in general, especially while cruising Lake Superior, so perhaps that's the difference.

I'm sure those who lament the changing times are correct. I suspect it has more to do with the cultural shift to "ME, ME, ME" than anything specific to cruisers. Fear, wealth, and technological developments have made the typical cruiser more insular and self-sufficient ... until all the fancy doodads break down of course .
Old 22-05-2014, 05:09   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
I found boating people to be pretty friendly and eager to help. Launching my boat from a trailer single handed attracts lots of offers from strangers to help. I spent the last 36 years in and out of recreational aviation and that would never happen with strangers.
Of course not! Pushing aircraft in water is not really a good thing!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:13   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Society has changed.
It has to affect every facet of life.
I just take people as they are... love 'em or $%#k 'em.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:20   #69

Boat: Skookum 53'

or *#$k em and feed em fish.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:23   #70

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm not a full-timer (yet), but I do cruise more than 500 nm away from home at times. I can count on one hand the number of dickish cruisers I've run into. The vast majority of people cruising the Great Lakes that I've encountered have been the hearty wave and cockpit party kind of folks. Of course, we don't run into a lot of people in general, especially while cruising Lake Superior, so perhaps that's the difference.

I'm sure those who lament the changing times are correct. I suspect it has more to do with the cultural shift to "ME, ME, ME" than anything specific to cruisers. Fear, wealth, and technological developments have made the typical cruiser more insular and self-sufficient ... until all the fancy doodads break down of course .
Mike, I'm sure where you cruise has a direct influence on the kinds of boaters you will encounter. Cruising Lake Superior compared to say, South Florida or Miami will result in quite a different experience. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:37   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
or *#$k em and feed em fish.
jesus... where's the bread.??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:05   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
................ Cruising Lake Superior compared to say, South Florida or Miami will result in quite a different experience. Chuck
I know of those that you speak of in South Florida, but it a large crowd and not short of friendly cruisers too. For some reason the more difficult individuals are not really "cruisers". They spend a few weeks bringing their dock condo to South Florida in the fall along the ICW and then make the return trip in the spring. ....or they store their dock condo on the hard in North Florida and "cruise" on the ICW for a week or two to and from the "Tiki Bar" marina each year.

I must admit that I often use and like the Intracostal Waterway, but even though I am spending more time with family concerns while remaining in Florida this summer, Nancie and I are usually underway ten months of each year. In general, those that I know as cruisers are pretty friendly everywhere.
Old 22-05-2014, 10:52   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I think I understand Boatman's lament. In the 1970's, when we started cruising in our early twenties, it seemed that most other cruisers were our age. We were all new, excited and eager to support each other and share our joy. Strangely, now most new cruisers are again our age, but they are comming from another life long ashore. They seem to be entitled with the purchase of their new life and expecting technology to pilot them. There are exceptions and even the new aloof can come around with some time.
From some observations (personally and through blogs) it seems the older crowd is a little hostile or bitter to the younger crowd.

Perhaps it's those second life cruisers you speak of being bent out of shape that a 30something can afford to cruise and they had to wait until retirement.

Perhaps it's the old salts being bent out of shape at newbies who like technology and couldn't possibly be as great as them.

Most likely a combination, but there is animosity against younger cruisers, even from those who have been doing it since their 30s as well.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:57   #74
CLOD

Boat: none

why would a 30s cruiser want to hang out with a 60s cruiser, isn't one trying to get away from their parents and the other trying to get away from their kids?
Old 22-05-2014, 11:21   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
From some observations (personally and through blogs) it seems the older crowd is a little hostile or bitter to the younger crowd.

Perhaps it's those second life cruisers you speak of being bent out of shape that a 30something can afford to cruise and they had to wait until retirement.

Perhaps it's the old salts being bent out of shape at newbies who like technology and couldn't possibly be as great as them.

Most likely a combination, but there is animosity against younger cruisers, even from those who have been doing it since their 30s as well.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
naah.
There is just a lot more tossers in the world now.
Age is not the difference. Lot of older people on here that others of same age do not want to be associated with.
Manners, attitude and politeness have all changed.
Few people observe yachting niceties anymore..... no more observing protocol, just a "me first' attitude.
NOt easy to trust anymore.
Im always wary WHOMEVER I meet. Looking for the shoe to drop......
ITs the way it is. People in my clinic making up diseases to get drugs prescribed.......
lots of whack jobs on the water too now.
ITs not the same. We have to be more careful. Its just trickled into this part of our world too.