Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 06:48   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

Some people are plain rude and others seem to think you "want" something from them.

There are still a lot of good open cruisers out there.

Two weeks ago I was relaxing in the cockpit after crawling out of the lazerette and a fella behind me hailed me and invited me over for margaritas.

I pulled over with my bottle of Dalwhinne and promptly introduced his Son-in-law to it. Me and the wife had a roaring good time with them.

The only bad spot was an sunk dinghy and unexpected swim later that night. The Walker Bay is fine, half a bottle of scotch floats and the clothes dried out.

I must add that later that night (morning?) Dan heard a loud commotion and ran up topside to find his son-in-law hanging off the lifelines on the bow. Dan and his daughter managed to haul him back aboard, Jason refused to tell them what he was doing there or how he got on the wrong side of the lines. I suspect he hadn't read the thread a few days back on peeing over the side of the boat and forgot to use the shrouds.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This Changing Life... better..? or worse..??

ROFL....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:55   #18

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Bloody Harleys! The root of all evil !!

And higher insurance rates...50 something gets a hair and needs to be a rebel. Buys a Harley cause they are all rebels, right? Hangs out in the bar and knocks back a few then rides home, or at least tries to.

Still see the Mongols and HA's around in my neck of the woods...they are the salt. Mostly though, it is some retiree that is having a crisis. They have no idea the culture they are getting in to and they "degrade" some of the long standing traditions (becuase often they simply do not care). Some of them can be shown, but most have no desire to do anything other than look cool. Sounds like this way of thought has chipped its way in to sailing.

Used to back pack a lot when I was younger. Same thing happened there. You used to be able to pack into serene country and not see another soul for a few weeks. When you did come across someone, you broke bread, enjoyed a meal and usually fine company and then went on with your journey. Slowly, the crowds started filling up the back woods. Day hikers, people pack jogging and the like would no longer even slow as they came upon you. It changed.

In the end, the post pointing out that the whole world has seemed to go the way of the yupp has it right. It is in just about all things now. All we can really do is be that which we want to see our community be. I refuse to surrender to the dip-wadds that have no manners or soul...regardless what I am doing.
Old 20-05-2014, 07:07   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
SNIP

There are 100% more people in the world than 1976.

SNIP
Maybe so, but there are 1,000% more morons.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:30   #20

The last couple of generations have learned that:

a) you can be independent. You don't need anyone else. You can get the latest gizmos and depend on them instead of word of mouth. Honestly, some good from this, but also an over-reliance on technology. No charts? It's OK, you have a smart phone, so you'll still be able to find restaurants.

b) you can do your socialization on line. Which means you can have a happy life conversing with friends or strangers on the internet, and can ignore your immediate neighbors.

c) You can do anything. Literally anything. Everything is temporary. You don't need any experience, money, knowledge, whatnot. Just take out a loan and go get whatever you want, and have it out on the water that day. Savings, schmavings. Overload a credit card and declare bankruptcy. Mortgage a house and walk away from it. Meet someone, get married, and get divorced. Don't like your job? Get another one.

d) You don't need to cook, because you can go out every night. It's normal, right? We lobbied for women's rights, which are a good thing, but somehow we've just convinced ourselves that we need more/the latest stuff, so now we've replaced the traditional family structure with working couples, or really any other structure since we no longer need a breadwinner and a homemaker. We're all breadwinners, so we are independent. See: a.

Seems to me the boating community is one of the last vestiges of civility. It's changed, for sure, but the boating community does still look out for each other. It's a small community, like a neighborhood, at least in small units where you think you might see each other again.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:33   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Seems to me the boating community is one of the last vestiges of civility..
Have you read some of the threads on here?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Maybe so, but there are 1,000% more morons.

OK that made me laugh
Old 20-05-2014, 07:43   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well we all have a choice, we can be some of the good ones, and not let what anyone else's behavior affect us negatively, it is when we let them have an affect on us is what gives them the power. If you laugh and walk away then it all evaporates. I have my days, but I try to keep positive. Good manners never go out of style.
Old 20-05-2014, 07:47   #24

Boat: Coast 34

I find that my obvious cruising boat with a monitor windvane, solar panels, etc. attract a lot of helpful, friendly cruisers and wannabees who stop by at the dock to chat and offer help, like rides to the store, etc. I wasn't cruising long distance before a year ago so I can't compare to the old days though.

In anchorages, we meet a lot of people by making fresh scones and taking them by dinghy to each boat to offer them for freeto all aboard (tackfully observing when they arise) then people insist on sharing local knowledge, blueberries, invitations to coffee, etc. Baked goods help, yum, why don't you try it OP?
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:54   #25

Quote:
Have you read some of the threads on here?
When you add in the anonymity factor, you lose a lot of civility.

My theory is that the boating community is quite civil because you think you might see the people again. Same with a small neighborhood.

In the middle of a big city (or anonymous on the internet), fuggedaboutit.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:55   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
I find that my obvious cruising boat with a monitor windvane, solar panels, etc. attract a lot of helpful, friendly cruisers and wannabees who stop by at the dock to chat and offer help, like rides to the store, etc. I wasn't cruising long distance before a year ago so I can't compare to the old days though.

In anchorages, we meet a lot of people by making fresh scones and taking them by dinghy to each boat to offer them for freeto all aboard (tackfully observing when they arise) then people insist on sharing local knowledge, blueberries, invitations to coffee, etc. Baked goods help, yum, why don't you try it OP?
Well... your welcome to try my Date, Walnut, Banana and Honey cake Annie.. also do a great caramelised carrot and Greek yoghurt.. or maybe you'd care for a Lemon Torte..
I happen to love cooking.. and baking... bit 'Gay' I know.. but the ladies like it..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 20-05-2014, 08:05   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And while we are lamenting bad manners and changing values in the world.......

Thailand has just declared Martial Law.

Cruisers be careful.
Old 20-05-2014, 08:17   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And while we are lamenting bad manners and changing values in the world.......

Thailand has just declared Martial Law.

Cruisers be careful.
LOLOL... again..
In reality Martial Law usually makes life safer

Old 20-05-2014, 08:26   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Its the damn stereos on the boats. I hate stereos on boats. Close down one of your most important senses. Stereos everywhere. There should be a law where you need a license for a damn stereo.

And the damn DVD players. Close down another sense w/ Bruce Willis movies.

And the entitlement in your face I get anything I want now now now thing that goes on, just downloads it NOW me em emememeeeee.

Boaty Ya Gotta Stop Em!!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 08:29   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Its the damn stereos on the boats. I hate stereos on boats. Close down one of your most important senses. Stereos everywhere. There should be a law where you need a license for a damn stereo.

And the damn DVD players. Close down another sense w/ Bruce Willis movies.

And the entitlement in your face I get anything I want now now now thing that goes on, just downloads it NOW me em emememeeeee.

Boaty Ya Gotta Stop Em!!!
Salty is out...!