Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 22:36   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
River Cruiser's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UMR mm 283 /winter in Kansas
Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Posts: 817
The WTF are they thinking thread

A guy in a 26' - 30' sailboat ran aground in the channel into the marina today. Marina saw him went out & asked if he had a problem, he said he needed a tow & that his prop shear pin needed replaced. The marina sent out the work boat & towed him to the fuel dock. He had 3- 5 gallon fuel cans & filled 2 of them. He had removed the diesel inboard & had a 20 HP merc outboard, had not removed shaft & prop maybe he tightened the packing to keep it from falling out. He had left Minnesota over 4 weeks ago. No generator, batteries dead, no heat & no showers along the way. Was using nails for shear pins on the merc & towing a kayak 2/3s full of water & ice, did I mention no heat. When it was time to settle his tab he had no cash only credit card & after paying for the gas the marina was only able to get $13.00 for the tow before maxing out his card. He had already went way farther than I would have in his boat & his distinaction was the gulf & then the Caribbean. He's anchoring out no batteries mean no anchor light, no bilge pumps, no cabin lights etc. the boat overall looked pretty rough. No $$ less than half way to his goal in a boat I wouldn't go on a daysail on. I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for him or admire his resolve. One last thing he also wanted to know if there was a sailmaker between here & the gulf, maybe he had another credit card he was saving for that. I'am sure there are others out there with similar stories but there is something about the Mississippi river that attracts people from all over the world who will ride anything down it that will float. Hope he has a safe journey.
__________________

__________________
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:06   #2
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

He might want to consider buying used sails and adapting them for his use, probably cheaper than having new ones made.
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:30   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

I met a guy in Turtle Bay who has terminal cancer. He and his wife agreed to drain their meager savings, he flew to Sacramento and bought a small Catalina, and sailed it out SF Bay not knowing anything. He hand steered from SF to SD with a tiller. When he got exhausted he'd just bob up and down in the swell and sleep. Also ripped the diesel out and did the outboard trick. There's a million things wrong with his boat. He puts up both jibs at once (hanked on) by interlacing them on the stay (mainly a downwind ride for him).

This guy wasn't doing anything bad to the local community and it's not like he's going to live long anyway.

He "sets" his anchor by throwing the entire mess of chain and danforth-knockoff out over the bow, then calls it good.

There's a guy at my old marina who always tells people about **** they need to do on their boat or else it's not safe or whatever, and I kind of laughed realizing that mr. "do it the right way" is still sitting at the marina and the guy who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground is pounding out serious mileage.

Here's a picture of the guy with cancer by the way. I had Thanksgiving with him and a few others in Turtle Bay (Baja coast) this year:

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:33   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

In short: I have no idea who's a good sailor and who isn't, and at least I can't really tell anything by looking at someone. My friend from Costa Rica was going through the Panama Canal and had some cruisers helping him as line handlers. He said half of them didn't know a damn thing about docking a boat (like the use of fenders, how to tie any one of several knots, etc). It blew him away that folks on fancy boats that managed to go really far actually had no clue what the hell they were doing.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Working in a chandlery soon makes you feel somewhat nervous about being out there with some of these folks. These are genuine cases that i have had said to me.

"Need an anchor for a 40' houseboat, the smallest that you have" Me, "why the smallest?" He, " It does not go very fast"

"Give me 40 metres of rope and the regulation one and a half metres of chain" Upon explaining to him that he would need more than that length of chain to hold his 40' powerboat he told me," You don't know anything about boats do you? The only reason that you need the chain is to hold the rope vertically down so that the sun does not weaken so much of it."

"I want a pump to do both the galley and shower AND the toilet. I will just put a Y valve on it to change from one to the other"

Many more, but my all time favourite is this. " I have a 42' powerboat, i wish to tow an 18' speedboat behind it at planing speeds. If i have a sea anchor tied to the back of the speedboat, will that stop it from running into the back of the big boat when i slow down?"

Makes you nervous does it not?

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:09   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Hanse 385
Posts: 653
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
I want a pump to do both the galley and shower AND the toilet. I will just put a Y valve on it to change from one to the other"
Hahah! I can just imagine him sitting down to dinner, taking a bite, turning to his wife and saying.. "Does this taste nutty to you?"
__________________
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:18   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,241
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

As a teenager in the 80ies I attended a few courses at the Les GlÚnans sailing school in France. This school is actually quite famous/notorious over here. My parents wanted me to brush up my French, I wanted to sail.
So I ended up two weeks on a 8m plywood (double!)centreboarder with 6 other trainees and an instructor. No engine. No electricity. Cooking was on a primus stove (and with all those Frenchman on board actually quite good). A petrol lantern served as anchor lines. The boat was cutter rigged, and had no winches, so we really learned to be fast so we had the jib and the yankee sheeted in before they would draw wind during tacking.
You learn you can do without a lot, and still have fun. Sometimes I still long for those times...
Alas, harbours are a lot more crowded now, and all those AWB owners really don't like it when you come in on sail. Even Les GlÚnans now has engines on their boats.
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:34   #8
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,619
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

When you sail parts of the world where the cost of living is lowish and regulations are lax there are these type of people out there.

The ones out sailing (as apposed to those tied to dock) seem to have a great time. They are often quite good sailors ( otherwise they don't survive) and surprisingly intelligent and educated despite their boat appearance.

Many years ago, when a cruised in a very small yacht, a big motor sailer came over and invited me and my wife for dinner.
They said "it is duty of the largest boat in the anchorage to invite the crew of the smallest boat in the anchorage over".
I have tried to repay the favour.

They will often appreciate a bit of fresh water as well.
__________________
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:34   #9
Registered User
 
GaryMayo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Posts: 1,211
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

HMS Bounty. Crew for not thinking independantly, captain for not thinking of his crew first, and the ships owner who also signed off on all of it.
__________________
W.I.B. Crealock when asked what he thought of the easily trailerable Clipper Marine sailboats by a naval design collegue, Gentelman Bill responded, "I am very proud of them".
www.clippermarine.org & www.clipper-sailor.net
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:48   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Franz Maas 37
Posts: 237
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
A guy in a 26' - 30' sailboat ran aground in the channel into the marina today. Marina saw him went out & asked if he had a problem, he said he needed a tow & that his prop shear pin needed replaced. The marina sent out the work boat & towed him to the fuel dock. He had 3- 5 gallon fuel cans & filled 2 of them. He had removed the diesel inboard & had a 20 HP merc outboard, had not removed shaft & prop maybe he tightened the packing to keep it from falling out. He had left Minnesota over 4 weeks ago. No generator, batteries dead, no heat & no showers along the way. Was using nails for shear pins on the merc & towing a kayak 2/3s full of water & ice, did I mention no heat. When it was time to settle his tab he had no cash only credit card & after paying for the gas the marina was only able to get $13.00 for the tow before maxing out his card. He had already went way farther than I would have in his boat & his distinaction was the gulf & then the Caribbean. He's anchoring out no batteries mean no anchor light, no bilge pumps, no cabin lights etc. the boat overall looked pretty rough. No $$ less than half way to his goal in a boat I wouldn't go on a daysail on. I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for him or admire his resolve. One last thing he also wanted to know if there was a sailmaker between here & the gulf, maybe he had another credit card he was saving for that. I'am sure there are others out there with similar stories but there is something about the Mississippi river that attracts people from all over the world who will ride anything down it that will float. Hope he has a safe journey.
Perhaps he is happy.
If he is, he gets my vote to continue doing as he chooses.
__________________
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42   #11
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Working in a chandlery soon makes you feel somewhat nervous about being out there with some of these folks. These are genuine cases that i have had said to me.

"Need an anchor for a 40' houseboat, the smallest that you have" Me, "why the smallest?" He, " It does not go very fast"

"Give me 40 metres of rope and the regulation one and a half metres of chain" Upon explaining to him that he would need more than that length of chain to hold his 40' powerboat he told me," You don't know anything about boats do you? The only reason that you need the chain is to hold the rope vertically down so that the sun does not weaken so much of it."

"I want a pump to do both the galley and shower AND the toilet. I will just put a Y valve on it to change from one to the other"

Many more, but my all time favourite is this. " I have a 42' powerboat, i wish to tow an 18' speedboat behind it at planing speeds. If i have a sea anchor tied to the back of the speedboat, will that stop it from running into the back of the big boat when i slow down?"

Makes you nervous does it not?

Coops.
Yes, but also really smart!
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18   #12
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
A guy in a 26' - 30' sailboat ran aground in the channel into the marina today.

I'm wondering how this is going to play with the "go simple" and the "cruising on $500/mo" CF crowd.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Perhaps he is happy.
If he is, he gets my vote to continue doing as he chooses.
Ditto.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Baltic 38DP
Posts: 333
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Ditto.
Only as long as he doesn't get other people into trouble trying to save him from his mistakes when it all goes pear shaped.


Onno
__________________
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Abaco, Bahamas/ Western NC
Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Posts: 820
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Years ago when we were running a large M/Y through the Bahamas we had a partially empty freezer, which I would fill with water jugs to eleminate air space. Whenever we shared an anchorage I would take the ice around to the other cruising boats. It always surprised me that several would refuse the ice! They were simply used to doing without.
__________________

__________________
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.