Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 18:06   #1
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
The Sea Was Calling

The first time this happened, I was standing on shore looking out to sea at the Galveston inlet. This led me to sail with a friend from Florida to Colombia, South America. Later, my wife and I cruised for two years, covering 5,000 miles.

Today, after several days of clouds, fog, and chilly strong winds, the sun broke through. The winds died, and I actually saw a sunset again. Then, as darkness set in, I see a full moon and stars. An evening like this reminds me of our first crossing from Carrabelle to Clearwater Beach. It was my wife's first long offshore passage. We had chosen our weather window carefully. A full moon, stars beyond belief, dolphins keeping us company even during the night. A wonderland, and dream fulfilled.

Every time I see a nice evening with a full moon, I can't help but feel the call, and wish to be on the sea. What does it for you? When was the first time you felt the sea calling? Surely everyone here has had this moment?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56   #2

Talking Re: The Sea Was Calling

Hi Ralph,

I am not sure my 'calling' was as romantic as yours. I grew up in Sydney Australia, and as a child I used to eagerly await the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race each year. I used to ride the ferries on Sydney harbour and watch the local boats there as well. I moved to north Queensland in my teens a spent a lot of time on other people's boats of various kinds and always dreamt of sailing the seas on my own sailboat. All of my time in and on the water has been fun so I am now looking forward to living on board. I've bought a boat and am just waiting for the right conditions to sail her back from Sydney to Brisbane where I now live.

Cant wait.

H
OldLessSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:11   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: The Sea Was Calling

A similar experience myself, crossing the Sea of Cortez.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Last night was crisp (an understatement) clear, and stunning full moon...

The only thing I could think of was....

Dang... I wish I was on a passage...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny you said Carrabelle to Clearwater, our first by ourselves crossing was from PC to Clearwater, my memory of that crossing was ungodly heat (July) and the enormous lightning storm in the early AM approaching Clearwater. We didn't have an autopilot yet, but I had both kids with us.
That was just this Summer , I'm thinking Dry Tortuga's this year? But now it's Winter, and I hate Winter and cold, and I have mucho work to do, so the call is tempered by work.
I grew up in the Panacea, Carrabelle, St. Marks area, so I think the call has always been there, as a baby my parents would put me in the bow of a 16' Dunfy boat, whatever that is while they went flats fishing, as a toddler I would sneak the salted Mullet bait, lord knows why I liked to eat that, but I did. For the non fishermen, it's just raw Mullet cut up and stuffed in a Ball Mason canning jar and packed with salt.

Two years before we can go and not come back, going to be a long two years, I think I have actually got the better half agreeing with it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 16:51   #6
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Two years before we can go and not come back, going to be a long two years, I think I have actually got the better half agreeing with it.
Two years is not long.

We were almost ready to leave, but I decided to work one more year at the last minute. I just concentrated like crazy on work, and the time flew by. I had a goal, and knew what I wanted.

If by saying "we can go and not come back", you mean to sell all of your *stuff* that doesn't fit on the boat, get started now. That is the biggest challenge really. We had a difficult time selling our home at the time. Once we had an offer, and accepted, we had to get it in gear. 40+years of marriage, and a big home to empty (full of stuff), and a son still living at home....well, it was a challenge. 2 years will be gone before you know it. I hope it works out for you like it has for me. All the best to you and the better half.

We came back to Texas for a short break, and like you say - It's cold right now. In march, I'll haul out for a bottom job and we'll be back on our way. Not sure where, but who cares? As long as we are moving, with a new view from the cockpit every few days, I'm happy.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal