Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 15:13   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: The Russians are coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Pretty dumb behaviour.... you would have thought the US would have learnt a lesson by now.....

That's what one Russian friend of mine, former SA officer, said, with great astonishment, when he heard we were planning to invade Afghanistan in 2001.

No, we never learn

Old 11-02-2019, 21:59   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's what one Russian friend of mine, former SA officer, said, with great astonishment, when he heard we were planning to invade Afghanistan in 2001.

No, we never learn
Weapon manufacturers don't think it's dumb

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 22:05   #33

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Weapon manufacturers don't think it's dumb
Or their salesmen!!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 22:06   #34

It isn't so much the Russians that may be coming.... but the Cuban military that are already there...

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 04:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Pretty dumb behaviour.... you would have thought the US would have learnt a lesson by now....

All talk like that does is give Maduro more ammo.... nobody likes being threatened regardless of who their leader is..

leave them alone... they will sort themselves out...
thats a pretty dumb statement considering the US led economic embargo on the country for near on 20 years ,, they knew what they were doing tho maybe didnt realise that it would take so long to financially ( near ) destroy the economy ,,they dont give a dam about the people they just want the oil ,,,,, the yanks play a long game .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 04:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
thats a pretty dumb statement considering the US led economic embargo on the country for near on 20 years ,, they knew what they were doing tho maybe didnt realise that it would take so long to financially ( near ) destroy the economy ,,they dont give a dam about the people they just want the oil ,,,,, the yanks play a long game .
Annoys me how it gets dressed up as a humanitarian thing when ultimately it's about resources....
Old 13-02-2019, 04:42   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The American commander of NORAD delivered a stark warning Tuesday to policy makers in both Washington and Ottawa, calling on them to think hard about whether they're doing enough to address new threats — such as Russia's recent military moves in the Arctic.
Last month, the Russian newspaper Izvestia reported Russia will resume fighter patrols to the North Pole for the first time in 30 years.
Moscow also recently served notice that it has deployed to its own Arctic territorial waters surface ships armed with cruise missiles which experts have said are extremely precise.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rus...iles-1.5016654

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 04:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The American commander of NORAD delivered a stark warning Tuesday to policy makers in both Washington and Ottawa, calling on them to think hard about whether they're doing enough to address new threats — such as Russia's recent military moves in the Arctic.
Last month, the Russian newspaper Izvestia reported Russia will resume fighter patrols to the North Pole for the first time in 30 years.
Moscow also recently served notice that it has deployed to its own Arctic territorial waters surface ships armed with cruise missiles which experts have said are extremely precise.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rus...iles-1.5016654
seems that we have completed the circle now, " the russians are coming " ,, time for more taxpayers money into the ( privately owned ) war machine / military industry and careerist service personnel .. ( not forgetting embedded politicians and associated media )
Old 13-02-2019, 05:11   #39

Quote:
seems that we have completed the circle now, " the russians are coming " ,, time for more taxpayers money into the ( privately owned ) war machine / military industry and careerist service personnel .. ( not forgetting embedded politicians and associated media )
I think this is all very concerning and believe it's more economically related than many realise. We have a monetary system that is unsustainable and there is definitely a threat to the Usd's supremacy, the petro dollar, swift system etc....... of course that has to be bad guys.
Old 13-02-2019, 05:27   #40

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think this is all very concerning and believe it's more economically related than many realise. We have a monetary system that is unsustainable and there is definitely a threat to the Usd's supremacy, the petro dollar, swift system etc....... of course that has to be bad guys.
Dale, I think you nailed it. Maduro wants to open up sales of oil in other currencies (like Iraq did, just before the invasion!). This has serious consequences for the US and the dollar.

The article below is from 2017, but it outlines the problem for the US.

https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/13405

There is no question Maduro has to go, but I'd like to see a Latin American diplomatic solution to the crisis in Venezuela.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 05:52   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure if a flotilla of russian And chinese warships would constitute a routine visit,although according to the article there is some sort of drill going on at the moment

https://www.unian.info/world/1043715...venezuela.html

So your unconfirmed report included a specific number of ships sighted, or just the word “flotilla”?

If it’s not an exercise it’s just putting in an appearance as so much political posturing. It if gives the US even temporary pause regarding military action in Venezuela then it has served its purpose.
Old 13-02-2019, 05:57   #42

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
There's never been a real economic embargo. USA' been buying their oil for decades, only stoping recently.
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 06:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Dale, I think you nailed it. Maduro wants to open up sales of oil in other currencies (like Iraq did, just before the invasion!). This has serious consequences for the US and the dollar.

The article below is from 2017, but it outlines the problem for the US.

https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/13405

There is no question Maduro has to go, but I'd like to see a Latin American diplomatic solution to the crisis in Venezuela.
And why no question , when it seems you do have a grasp of the overall situation regarding oil , and I expect also the cause and effect of the us led economic embargo ??
Old 13-02-2019, 06:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
There's never been a real economic embargo. USA' been buying their oil for decades, only stoping recently.
Of course the US has been its normal and historical liers and hipocritical self but there are other aspects of finance and general trade which have come into play apart from oil , granted oil is important , but when a proven liar tells a story which we know is already half false and they have a history of lies and deceit, “once bitten twice shy boy” comes to mind ,
Old 15-02-2019, 08:48   #45

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama
Send a message via Skype™ to dwightsusan

Geez! "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming". I'm a lucky old guy. I still remember how to hide under my school desk as a tactic to survive a thermonuclear attack. I'm training my children and grandchildren to seek shelter under our main cabin table so they too can survive.

Tags
Russia